Old ® Games4theworld Forum / Archive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Solving Simple Lags and Making Game Faster (Changing Clothes are Faster)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Solving Simple Lags and Making Game Faster (Changing Clothes are Faster) Empty Solving Simple Lags and Making Game Faster (Changing Clothes are Faster)

Post by Guest Thu 04 Jul 2013, 16:02

Bear in mind that you must back up the file GraphicRules.sgr so if something goes wrong you can revert to recovering the file!

OK I found that solution on internet somewhere and tried. It works good for me. For example simple lags gone and changing a sims clothes takes less than usual for like 5-10 seconds.

1. Go into your Sims 3 location by Right Click on Sims 3 shortcut and click Open in Location. For me it is ( C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Game\Bin )

2. Find GraphicsRules.sgr and right click>open with>notepad.

3. In notepad, you will see 4 lines like this. 

Spoiler:

4. Change all the numbers from high to low to 3 like this:

Spoiler:

5. Save notepad and close it.

==FOR PEOPLE THAT CAN'T SAVE THE NOTEPAD==

Do it untill step 5. Instead Save, "Save As" to desktop and close the notepad. Delete the GraphicsRules.sgr or cut it to somewhere for backup. Then drag and drop the GraphicsRules.sgr file we have just saved to its location.

Let me know results if you try, Pwease Surprised

//EDIT
Admin can you please move this topic to Tips and Tricks.

DO NOT POST ANY QUESTIONS OR PROBLEMS IN THIS TOPIC. INSTEAD, PLEASE OPEN A NEW TOPIC IN THE APPROPRIATE FORUM-SECTION, EITHER "THE SIMS 3 DOWNLOADS SUPPORT" OR "THE SIMS 3 IN-GAME SUPPORT"! THANK-YOU-NOTES CAN BE POSTED IN THE SECTION WITH THE SAME NAME.

Note that any and all questions posted under this thread, will be deleted without any explanation or advance warning. We have the Forum sections dedicated to Support purposes, for a reason.

Last edited by cagil99 on Sat 06 Jul 2013, 09:25; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Solving Simple Lags and Making Game Faster (Changing Clothes are Faster) Empty Re: Solving Simple Lags and Making Game Faster (Changing Clothes are Faster)

Post by Guest Tue 23 Jul 2013, 19:13

Has anyone else done this and are reporting back??? I'm trying this out. The LAG annoys the crap out of me! Razz

Back to top Go down

Solving Simple Lags and Making Game Faster (Changing Clothes are Faster) Empty Re: Solving Simple Lags and Making Game Faster (Changing Clothes are Faster)

Post by Guest Wed 24 Jul 2013, 13:23

Hello,
You can back up GraphicsRules.sgr and test it. It made really big change and fastened my game.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 24 Jul 2013, 17:09

I'm honestly not sure if it was doing what you describe (your signatures scares me by the way) or if turning on the triple buffering and the vsync through my graphics card panel but my game has absolutely NO lag now... just wanted to put that out there! Very Happy It's quite a pleasure to play, honestly! Smile thank you for suggesting this!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 04 Sep 2013, 17:44

Unfortunately, it didn't work for me. I got a pop-up that sait that my video card is missing and the whole world was black, I only saw the little lot icons Sad  what could I have done wrong?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 09 Oct 2013, 21:13

So this is an old topic, but I decided to try this as I got annoyed with having to wait for the clothes to in CAS, and the objects to load in building/buy mode. Now it's as if everything is all loaded at once instead of waiting for things one by one.

Also in game, it has stopped the lagging and stuttering for me, as well as everything loading fast. I'm not sure if it will work for everyone, but it has definitely helped me a lot.

Cagil99, it would be nice if you could tell us what exactly happens when we change the numbers so people can understand whether it will work for them or not. Thank you!

Back to top Go down

Solving Simple Lags and Making Game Faster (Changing Clothes are Faster) Empty Works for me!

Post by Guest Thu 10 Oct 2013, 04:59

It worked amazing for me! I was so mad about having to wait 4 sim hours - or pause my game for 5 minutes for clothes to load. Now it only takes 30 sim minutes for them to change!
I also had a little bit of lag, and now that's gone as well! 
Thank you so much for this amazing tip. Very Happy

Moderator edit: Topic moved to "The Sims (3) tips/tricks".

- Carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Thu 10 Oct 2013, 05:26

Hello all,

Just a small sidenote: when you patch the game (next time), you will have to re-do the changes in that "GraphicsRules.sgr" file, because the base game updates basically overwrite these text files, and create new ones. Wink

I would not "backup" the old file and put it back in once the game is patched again, because these text files contain updated information on "supported" graphics cards. So just re-do the changes manually again - and you should be fine.

The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n
G4TW RETIRED Forum Gatekeeper

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 11 Oct 2013, 02:09

I only have one question though. Is this only done to the base game or all the expansion folders? At first I only changed the file from my most recent expansion, but I ended up doing everything. Either way, nothing bad has happened and I'm still lag free.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sephymuffins Sun 01 Dec 2013, 06:43

cagil99 wrote:--==FOR PEOPLE THAT CAN'T SAVE THE NOTEPAD==

Do it untill step 5. Instead Save, "Save As" to desktop and close the notepad. Delete the GraphicsRules.sgr or cut it to somewhere for backup. Then drag and drop the GraphicsRules.sgr file we have just saved to its location.

Let me know results if you try, Pwease Surprised

//EDIT
Admin can you please move this topic to Tips and Tricks.
Great post.  Smile

Another way for people to edit the file without Administrator problems, drag and drop the file to your desktop.  Alter it as instructed, select 'File'>'Save' and bam, done.  All you'd have to do is drag and drop it back into the /game/bin folder and you're done.

Figured I'd throw that in there.  Cheers.

The Sims Plumbob 1
Sephymuffins
Sephymuffins
G4TW RETIRED Helper / VIP
Discharged with Honors
G4TW RETIRED Helper / VIP Discharged with Honors

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims™, Final Fantasy, F.E.A.R, Resident Evil, Silent Hill, Minecraft, DayZ, Infestation: Survivor Stories, 7 Days To Die, Metal Gear Rising, The Walking Dead, Fable 3, Bioshock, Skyrim, Fallout, Spore.

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 22 Dec 2013, 11:51

Just wanted to say I tried this and it worked. Generally, my game runs much smoother now and all the little pauses have more or less stopped. Saying that, it still pauses here and there when in live mode. However, there's only a few in a day and they don't last long. I have a feeling it's my Overwatch by NRaas that does it. I know it does a clean up of the town every day at 3 am. I think it still scans in the meantime. The important thing is, my game runs smoother now. Couldn't believe how quick the sims changed their clothes. lol 

It's rare to find a unique solution like this, especially one that actually works. The majority of sites I visit have the same information repeated on countless others. Leave it to G4TW to have a gem of a thread like this. So typical of this site. Finally, I want to thank the OP for this thread, it's much appreciated.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 22 Dec 2013, 22:10

I been tried this..I also change them in all the expansions too. Its amazing how fast things are moving now. Sorry I took so long to let u know it works. Great post! Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 04 Jan 2014, 03:40

I also have tried this and it works great. It used to take me 2 hours to fully make a sim in CAS. Now it takes only 30 or so minutes. Thank you so much for this tip. You rock!!! Hammertime

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 21 Jan 2014, 15:35

I tried this too, on the first day, it worked really well with no major lags! However, when I played sims today again, there were lags up to 30s where the screen would pause and nothing could be done.. Any idea what happened?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 23 Jan 2014, 06:07

If anyone could help me it would be amazing.. But when I right click on the file I do not see 'open with'. Please help!!! My CAS is SO SLOW .  

Edit: nevermind guys, got it. ^_^

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 08 Feb 2014, 23:02

Hi. I opened that GraphicsRules file and instead of four lines there is an enormous amount of text in there. Should I just delete it all and write those 4 lines?

Back to top Go down

Post by J.T. Sun 09 Feb 2014, 09:37

zanjulis wrote:Hi. I opened that GraphicsRules file and instead of four lines there is an enormous amount of text in there. Should I just delete it all and write those 4 lines?

Doing so will only damage your game. You can see an enormous amount of text there since that file is supposed to be like that.

You should be able to find the lines cagil99 mentioned. If not, open that file again, and hold Ctrl+F. Copy and paste the first line of the text cagil99 mentioned and searched the text. The first result should be equivalent to the text.
J.T.
J.T.
G4TW RETIRED Helper / VIP
Discharged with Honors
G4TW RETIRED Helper / VIP Discharged with Honors

Windows version :
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 07 Apr 2014, 18:20

This is not something I was exactly looking for but it was something that budged me for a while. The pages were loading fine and pretty fast but thought it wasnt exactly slow it always bothered me how much tim it did take in CAS to change clothes or make up. But I would like to know if CC has any effect on it? I have new and better PC but I still do not have much CC because from my experience more CC is slowing the game. So does this works even with lot of CC or it has still bad effect? I like playing my game fast in HD but I also like to have more CC than I have now. So anyone out there who tried it with CC and without CC?
BTW: It WORKS but somehow its still not as fast as I expected it to be (its faster only by few sec which is not that good progress), but I bet thats because I have all datadis and expansions installed. If I only had few or only the base game it would be probably fast like hell :3

And as always (being polite should be included in humans, but most of them forget what the word even means)nTHANK YOU! ^^

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Thu 10 Apr 2014, 12:07

leesoa wrote:This is not something I was exactly looking for but it was something that budged me for a while. The pages were loading fine and pretty fast but thought it wasnt exactly slow it always bothered me how much tim it did take in CAS to change clothes or make up. But I would like to know if CC has any effect on it? I have new and better PC but I still do not have much CC because from my experience more CC is slowing the game. So does this works even with lot of CC or it has still bad effect? I like playing my game fast in HD but I also like to have more CC than I have now. So anyone out there who tried it with CC and without CC?
BTW: It WORKS but somehow its still not as fast as I expected it to be (its faster only by few sec which is not that good progress), but I bet thats because I have all datadis and expansions installed. If I only had few or only the base game it would be probably fast like hell :3

And as always (being polite should be included in humans, but most of them forget what the word even means)nTHANK YOU! ^^

Hello,

Yes (of course !) it will have a bad effect on your game if you have lots of CC. And yes, another factor is hardware too: if your computer is not strong enough to handle the game + expansions, you will encounter issues, sooner or later.

//EDIT

Yes, this "fix" is certainly useful, but it's NOT like "magic". It cannot make your computer super-fast, if you have too many CC and/or if your computer is just too weak. Wink 

The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 11 Apr 2014, 04:57

Carlos wrote:
Hello,

Yes (of course !) it will have a bad effect on your game if you have lots of CC. And yes, another factor is hardware too: if your computer is not strong enough to handle the game + expansions, you will encounter issues, sooner or later.

//EDIT

Yes, this "fix" is certainly useful, but it's NOT like "magic". It cannot make your computer super-fast, if you have too many CC and/or if your computer is just too weak. Wink 

I was just curious about the CC since it usually slows the game, but I found out I can play fine using this even with CC in HD mod. But I do not use hundreds of CC so who knows how would it turn out then (my pc is strong but its not super Machine). But thanks for answer :3

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 06 Jul 2014, 22:28

Hi, i had some issues with lag and I tried this solution and it worked, to some extent.
I just wanna ask something; should i do that with only base game or all the expansions? i checked folders of all the expansions and noticed that they're not the same. Few of the expansions don't have that file at all  scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 04 Sep 2014, 18:39

Natasa3690 wrote:Hi, i had some issues with lag and I tried this solution and it worked, to some extent.
I just wanna ask something; should i do that with only base game or all the expansions? i checked folders of all the expansions and noticed that they're not the same. Few of the expansions don't have that file at all  scratch
Hello,
Sorry for late(insanely late) reply lol. I am not quite sure, you can do it for all expansions and stuff packs if you want. Wont hurt. I would test but I dont have sims installed anymore. WhatDidUJustCallMe?

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top