Old ® Games4theworld Forum / Archive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Possible Suggestion. [SOLVED]

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Possible Suggestion. [SOLVED] Empty Possible Suggestion. [SOLVED]

Post by Guest Sat 29 Aug 2015, 14:49

Is it possible to add an addon or flip a switch so that will allow us to tell which threads we have posted in? AKA many other forums have icons that will tell you if you have posted in a thread or not by just looking at the list of threads. I have noticed that option is currently missing from these forums. I can post a picture of what I mean if need be.

Back to top Go down

Possible Suggestion. [SOLVED] Empty Re: Possible Suggestion. [SOLVED]

Post by ☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠ Sat 29 Aug 2015, 15:18

Hello,

You can view a list of topics you've posted in. Go to the forum's homepage, and look on the left, under the chatbox. View your posts
Is this what you mean?
☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠
☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠
G4TW SUPER Adminatrix
First Lady / Commander-In-Chief
G4TW SUPER Adminatrix First Lady / Commander-In-Chief

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 29 Aug 2015, 15:27

No it is not. Here I will post a couple of pictures to show what I am talking about

First one has little black circles on the icon to the left of the thread title.

Second one has my avatar on the ones I have posted in. Does not have to be this way just showing you what I am talking about.

Back to top Go down

Post by ☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠ Sat 29 Aug 2015, 15:56

I see, that's an interesting feature.
I'll see what Admin thinks about this and he'll get back to you.
☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠
☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠
G4TW SUPER Adminatrix

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 29 Aug 2015, 17:08

I find it invaluble on other sites and not having it on this site just threw me off big time as I go back and check posts. I will be be reading titles and going did I post in this thread or was it a different thread? Where with other sites I can just look at the icon to the left and know right off the bat if I have posted in that thread or not.

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Sun 30 Aug 2015, 01:24

Topken wrote:I find it invaluble on other sites and not having it on this site just threw me off big time as I go back and check posts. I will be be reading titles and going did I post in this thread or was it a different thread? Where with other sites I can just look at the icon to the left and know right off the bat if I have posted in that thread or not.

Not a perfect solution for what you (seemingly ?) wish to see, but it may be a workaround:

Possible Suggestion. [SOLVED] Screen10

Scroll down to the end of a topic (whether you posted in it or not, doesn't matter here) and click on "Watch this topic for replies". Then you can either access these "watched topics" from within your profile:

Possible Suggestion. [SOLVED] Screen11

Or click on "Welcome [username]" in the top right of the forum window, and select "watched topics".

Possible Suggestion. [SOLVED] Screen13

But I don't know of any switch that shows you "directly" where you posted. Please indeed wait for the Admin's feedback on this.

As a sidenote, you should not necessarily assume that because certain features may be common in other forum software, that they are automatically present in this forum here too. This forum is hosted for free (!) by "Forumotion", and in my opinion, due to the fact that it is free of charge, the features are OK. Certainly not perfect but still OK. The forums of Forumotion use a modified/simplified version of PhpBB and certain things may have been indeed cut out.

What I personally find the biggest weakness of this simplified phpBB version is the fact that users with "limited moderation rights" are in many respects recognized by the software as full Moderators, meaning you cannot fine-tune permissions for these usergroups. But that is off-topic. Smile
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n
G4TW RETIRED Forum Gatekeeper

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by ☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠ Sun 30 Aug 2015, 11:05

Carlos wrote:
What I personally find the biggest weakness of this simplified phpBB version is the fact that users with "limited moderation rights" are in many respects recognized by the software as full Moderators, meaning you cannot fine-tune permissions for these usergroups. But that is off-topic. Smile

Actually, you can, and we have. Basically, the pink usergroup can moderate every section, but the green usergroup cannot. Several boxes can be checked or unchecked to fine tune permissions for each usergroup or even individual users.
☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠
☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠
G4TW SUPER Adminatrix

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Mon 31 Aug 2015, 01:42

Lady ElDi wrote:
Carlos wrote:

Actually, you can, and we have. Basically, the pink usergroup can moderate every section, but the green usergroup cannot. Several boxes can be checked or unchecked to fine tune permissions for each usergroup or even individual users.

That's why I said "in many respects" (see again my previous post, which I underlined in my quote here). Very Happy 

Some disadvantages include:

- assuming the option for banning users is turned on for Moderators, the green Helpers will also be able to ban (because they are "also" Moderators).
- green Helpers can send PMs to users who have disabled the option to receive PMs - just like full Moderators and Administrators.
- and probably other a few other similar things.

As I said in a different place before (I think), this "simplified" phpBB forum-version lacks in elementary basics, like this fine-tuning of permissions. Whether or not this is necessary for the team here (at the moment, or in the future) is something different of course. But personally, I don't care that much about fancy things like the OP's concern, or - what I also saw - systems that deal with "badges" or "achievements"; for achieving certain milestones on a forum.

These are all nice little extras, like candy, and I could do without those.
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon 31 Aug 2015, 19:50

Hi,

Thank you for your suggestion!
I know what you mean, and I've seen it on other forums too. The only issue is that, as mentioned before, this is a free Forum, which means that the options we have are limited.

What you can do, is request this feature via the host HERE.
Unfortunately we can't implement this feature unless they add it.
Admin
Admin
G4TW RETIRED Adminator
GΛMΣ MΛƧƬΣЯ / Forum Founder
G4TW RETIRED Adminator GΛMΣ MΛƧƬΣЯ / Forum Founder

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Thu 01 Oct 2015, 05:20

Topken wrote:Is it possible to add an addon or flip a switch so that will allow us to tell which threads we have posted in? AKA many other forums have icons that will tell you if you have posted in a thread or not by just looking at the list of threads. I have noticed that option is currently missing from these forums. I can post a picture of what I mean if need be.

Sorry for bumping in here again, but as I don't visit and post on Games4theworld regularly anymore, any replies from me can take a while to come.  Carlos is tha man  

Anyhow, I was recently re-doing some new buttons for the forum when I needed to do some research on Forumotion's support pages. And by accident/coincidence I found this topic here:

http://help.forumotion.com/t108209-put-in-a-you-have-posted-in-this-topic-symbol

I'm not 100% sure if this feature discussed there is the one you requested, but it's likely that it is. When I replied the last time, I myself had no idea about this. It appears that only Administrators can activate this function, and by default it seems to be turned OFF on Forumotion's forums. So you might want to wait for Admin's or Lady ElDi's feedback there on this.

Also, if you have a suggestion on what would be a cool logo for this feature, feel free to reply back; otherwise I'll try myself and come up with something. The OP in the topic I linked to above spoke about a "green dot", but maybe we can use something different there. We'll see.
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Thu 01 Oct 2015, 21:22

Hi there,

I read the article and checked it out in the Administration Panel.
Weirdly enough that icon is "empty" at the moment. Never noticed it before.

Feel free to come up with something and forward it to me or Lady ElDi. If it's too big or something, we can resize it, because I don't know how exactly it will show up.
Admin
Admin
G4TW RETIRED Adminator

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sat 10 Oct 2015, 12:03

Hi again,

Just a quick message to let you know that I've added a star-like image that @Carlos created.
It's shown next to topics in which you have posted.

Thank you for this suggestion!
Admin
Admin
G4TW RETIRED Adminator

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Sat 10 Oct 2015, 12:19

Looks really good ! I think I got the picture size just right. The sun icon is neither too big, nor too small. 

The Sims 3 plumbob 

//EDIT

Using the "Suggestion-box" as an example, this is what it looks like for me:

Possible Suggestion. [SOLVED] Screenshot_3

The little sun icons (enclosed in red) indicate where I posted, in the "Suggestion-box" subforum.
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 10 Oct 2015, 17:31

Thanks for finding and adding the feature guys it is exactly what I was looking for. Makes it so simple to tell what I have posted in and what I have not posted in by just browsing the forums now. Makes it simple to figure out where I have been.

Also glad it was a simple addition or in this case the creation of an icon and just adding it in the right spot.

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Sun 11 Oct 2015, 08:36

Topken wrote:Thanks for finding and adding the feature guys it is exactly what I was looking for. Makes it so simple to tell what I have posted in and what I have not posted in by just browsing the forums now. Makes it simple to figure out where I have been.

Also glad it was a simple addition or in this case the creation of an icon and just adding it in the right spot.

You're welcome. Problem solved, topic closed.  Carlos is tha man
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top