Old ® Games4theworld Forum / Archive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How to disable/uninstall individual DLC from The Sims 4. [OBSOLETE]

View previous topic View next topic Go down

How to disable/uninstall individual DLC from The Sims 4. [OBSOLETE] Empty How to disable/uninstall individual DLC from The Sims 4. [OBSOLETE]

Post by The_gh0stm4n Sun 02 Jul 2017, 11:01

Note and disclaimer: Obsolete due to anadius's new "dlc-toggler"!

Hello all!

This post will show how you can de-activate individual DLC packs from your RELOADED/Games4theworld-based The Sims 4 games. While most people want the entire DLC pack, we frequently get questions about removing individual packs from the installation. Sometimes people have older or weaker computers which may be getting difficulties with the entire game, sometimes people are simply not interested in the DLC.

What many people have difficulties with, is the fact that unlike older Sims-franchise games, the "progressive buildup" mentioned here is actually needed. The DLC packs are not separable entities like back in The Sims 2 or The Sims 3. Here, the torrents don't just contain the actual DLC, but also updates to the basegame that are needed for running the DLC. At present you unfortunately have to install everything in order, before you can eventually make a selection of which individual DLC you actually want to play with.

1) First:

You will have to follow the guide here, for starters:
https://games4theworld.forumotion.com/t21806-must-read-how-to-install-the-sims-4-correctly

When you did this, you can go from there. You have two ways to proceed now.

2) Quick and easy way:

If you just want faster PC/game performance while playing The Sims 4, you can go to where the game is installed.

How to disable/uninstall individual DLC from The Sims 4. [OBSOLETE] Screen10

You will see 3 folders highlighted. These are EP01 (Get to Work), EP02 (Get together) and EP03 (City Living). All of them have been renamed, into EP01_, EP02_ and EP03_. This is so that the game does not recognize them. When you start up the game the next time, you should notice some performance improvements (depending on the number of the DLC you "disabled" that way).

The potential problems with this method:

Arrow  when you play a "full" game with all DLC and then sometime later decide to remove certain DLC, your old savefiles may not be playable anymore, because they contained (important) data from the DLC, that you just removed.

Arrow  the game may freeze either at startup or at some other point in-game. In which case you could try waiting for a minute or two to see if the game unfreezes. If not, you will have to forcibly-close the game through e.g. task manager. Even if the game eventually unfreezes, it will be a nuisance that you will have to decide whether you want to put up with it.

Arrow  see also this comment here, which is similar to point #1, and may pose additional difficulties.

Arrow  Which is why I would recommend the following method instead, but it is a bit more difficult.

3) Editing text files:

3.1) As of the "My First Pet Stuff DLC".

You can go to the "Game" -> "Bin" subdirectory, of where you have your The Sims 4 installed. Open the codex.cfg file with the Notepad. Now scroll down a little bit. Where it says "Content", it starts listing the DLC.

A DLC entry under "Content" looks like this.

Code:
"OFB-EAST:109552299"
 {
 "Name" "The Sims™ 4"
 "Version" "1.41.38.1020"
 "Status" "PLAYING"
 }

How to disable/uninstall individual DLC from The Sims 4. [OBSOLETE] Clipbo10

In the next screenshot here, you can see the portion about the "Cats & Dogs" DLC marked. Delete the entire portion of the entry, in order to remove Cats & Dogs (and any other component/DLC that you want to remove).

How to disable/uninstall individual DLC from The Sims 4. [OBSOLETE] Clipbo11

Now scroll down even more, until you see "Entitlements". This is another listing of DLC.

How to disable/uninstall individual DLC from The Sims 4. [OBSOLETE] Clipbo12

Look again for the portion of code that deals with the DLC you want to have removed. In my example again, we want to hypothetically remove the Cats & Dogs DLC. The code looks very similar as above.

How to disable/uninstall individual DLC from The Sims 4. [OBSOLETE] Clipbo13

I guess "disabling" these DLC entries also works if you simply put a semi-colon or some other special character in-between the DLC entries. Save the changes to the codex.cfg and close the Notepad.

3.2) If you have not used "My First Pet Stuff DLC", and still have the old RELOADED/machine 4578-cracks.

Click the button Spoiler to unfold (and fold back) the text, as this is not going to be relevant for most users anymore, but I still left the text in for the few people who may not be using "My First Pet Stuff".

Spoiler:

4.) AFTER editing the text files.

After editing the codex.cfg (or RldOrigin.ini) file, I would also suggest to remove the DLC folders from your TS4 installation (see first screenshot), to be 100% sure that the DLC are removed. Here is a listing of which DLC represents which folder. 

EP01: Get to Work Expansion pack
EP02: Get Together Expansion pack
EP03: City Living Expansion pack
EP04:  Cats & Dogs
FP01: Holiday Celebration Pack Free Pack
GP01: Outdoor Retreat Game Pack
GP02: Spa Day Game Pack
GP03: Dine Out Game Pack
GP04: Vampires Game Pack
GP05: Parenthood Game Pack
GP06:  Jungle Adventure Game Pack
SP01: Luxury Party Stuff Pack
SP02: Perfect Patio Stuff Pack
SP03: Cool Kitchen Stuff Pack
SP04: Spooky Stuff Pack
SP05: Movie Hangout Stuff Pack
SP06: Romantic Garden Stuff Pack
SP07: Kids Room Stuff Pack
SP08: Backyard Stuff
SP09: Vintage Glamour Stuff
SP10: Bowling Stuff
SP11: Fitness Stuff
SP12:  Toddlers Stuff
SP13:  Laundry Day Stuff
SP14:  My First Pet Stuff

The potential problems with this method:

Arrow  Again, this should be normally be done right AFTER you install TS4. If you play with a savefile, especially if it uses DLC content, and then you decide to remove the DLC content, the savefile may become unusable.

Arrow  The method is more tricky, therefore if you have a tendency to make mistakes along these lines it's best if a friend/relative looks over your shoulder or helps you next right next to you.

Arrow  "Why doesn't G4TW offer ready-to-use RldOrigin.ini files??" Because it would be too much effort, for very little point. After all, 90% of users want the entire DLC collection of The Sims 4 anyhow. We would have to create all combinations of RldOrigin.ini files, depending on what DLC users have. A modified RldOrigin.ini file is something that needs to be created for your very own individual needs. The G4TW can help you to some extent with that, but in the first place it will be your responsibility to at least give this method a try, yourself. We have one modified RldOrigin.ini file, included in the "TS4 Update-Only Ultimate fix", specifically for the needs of this particular update.

Arrow  If you have a tendency to be unsure about what DLC you want, then the method isn't suited for you either. Once you use the method, and you decide you want to have some or all of the DLC back, you would have to restore the original RldOrigin.ini file, plus restore all the DLC folders you removed. Then start over (potentially).

This should do for now, good luck!

DO NOT POST ANY QUESTIONS OR PROBLEMS IN THIS TOPIC. INSTEAD, PLEASE OPEN A NEW TOPIC IN THE APPROPRIATE FORUM-SECTION, EITHER "THE SIMS 4 DOWNLOADS SUPPORT" OR "THE SIMS 4 IN-GAME SUPPORT"! THANK-YOU-NOTES CAN BE POSTED IN THE APPROPRIATE FORUM-SECTION, or directly under this thread.

Note that any and all questions posted under this thread, will be deleted without any explanation or advance warning. We have the Forum sections dedicated to Support purposes, for a reason.

Last edited by The_gh0stm4n on Thu 23 Apr 2020, 01:40; edited 13 times in total
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n
G4TW RETIRED Forum Gatekeeper

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

How to disable/uninstall individual DLC from The Sims 4. [OBSOLETE] Empty Re: How to disable/uninstall individual DLC from The Sims 4. [OBSOLETE]

Post by Guest Sun 02 Jul 2017, 13:07

addition:
No need to delete items/folders
As you can see every DLC has 3 items in RldOrigin.ini
IID, ETG and GRP.
Just placing a semicolon in front of these lines for the DLC you wish to remove is sufficient.

Back to top Go down

How to disable/uninstall individual DLC from The Sims 4. [OBSOLETE] Empty Re: How to disable/uninstall individual DLC from The Sims 4. [OBSOLETE]

Post by Guest Thu 13 Jul 2017, 17:32

This doesn't work when u try to delete the vampire gp ( using the second method ) it will delete parenthood too ! How can i fix this please !

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Thu 13 Jul 2017, 19:45

Lesny daby wrote:This doesn't work when u try to delete the vampire gp ( using the second method ) it will delete parenthood too ! 

No it doesn't "delete parenthood too" (just tested it myself), if you do the guide properly. Should you need further support please open a new topic in the appropriate section.

https://games4theworld.forumotion.com/f43-the-sims-4-downloads-support-pc
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 13 Jul 2017, 22:39

Lesny daby wrote:This doesn't work when u try to delete the vampire gp ( using the second method ) it will delete parenthood too ! How can i fix this please !
If you have set CNT to 135, Parenthood (which is 136) won't be loaded.
So don't change the CNT number

Remember the good old "basics"
FOR x = 1 to CNT
instructions
instructions
NEXT

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Thu 13 Jul 2017, 22:48

Tarac wrote:If you have set CNT to 135, Parenthood (which is 136) won't be loaded.

FOR x = 1 to CNT
instructions
instructions
NEXT

Now that is something I didn't expect, thanks for the hint! (guide updated to accommodate this new revelation)

Edit: tested it myself by putting 5 next to CNT. And guess what: it just loaded the "first five" DLC listed in the RldOrigin.ini (Dine Out, Kids Room, Spooky Stuff, Movie Stuff, Romantic Garden), but none of the DLC listed "beyond" that in the file.

I never really took notice of that, mostly because I used the method for the Update-Only Fixes, and in those cases people don't want the DLC anyhow.

Yess, aye lieeke!
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 14 Jul 2017, 12:24

The_gh0stm4n wrote:
Tarac wrote:If you have set CNT to 135, Parenthood (which is 136) won't be loaded.

FOR x = 1 to CNT
instructions
instructions
NEXT

Now that is something I didn't expect, thanks for the hint! (guide updated to accommodate this new revelation)

Edit: tested it myself by putting 5 next to CNT. And guess what: it just loaded the "first five" DLC listed in the RldOrigin.ini (Dine Out, Kids Room, Spooky Stuff, Movie Stuff, Romantic Garden), but none of the DLC listed "beyond" that in the file.

I never really took notice of that, mostly because I used the method for the Update-Only Fixes, and in those cases people don't want the DLC anyhow.

Yess, aye lieeke!
If you set CNT to 0 you'll have the base game, incl. Toddlers, only.
When you exclude certain packs after you've played with them in your game you'll see this message:

How to disable/uninstall individual DLC from The Sims 4. [OBSOLETE] Game-data-incomplete_orig

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Fri 16 Mar 2018, 19:32

Topic has been updated to incorporate the new codex.cfg file, as of the "My First Pet Stuff" DLC. 

As usual, please open a new topic in the appropriate Forum section in case you need more Support. 

Carlos is tha man
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top