Old ® Games4theworld Forum / Archive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Confusion over the Sims

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Confusion over the Sims Empty Confusion over the Sims

Post by invalidusername Thu 31 Jan 2013, 18:32

When I got my new laptop for school a few weeks ago, I gave my boyfriend my old one. He's now trying to play the Sims. He can't figure any of it out. It's all installed, and has no issues, he just doesn't understand how to play it, like what the point of this open-ended sandbox game is.

Has anybody else ever had an experience like this, with themselves, a loved one, or even a random stranger that you just happened to see on a bench somewhere?
invalidusername
invalidusername
G4TW RETIRED Moderatrix
Discharged with Honors

G4TW RETIRED Moderatrix Discharged with Honors

Windows version :
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims, Assassin's Creed (All), Elder Scolls, Dragon Age : Origins, Harvest Moon, Mario, Zelda, Psychonauts, SimCity, House of the Dead : Overkill, Magic: The Gathering, Saint's Row, Civilization 5, The Witcher

Female

Back to top Go down

Confusion over the Sims Empty Re: Confusion over the Sims

Post by The_gh0stm4n Fri 01 Feb 2013, 08:49

So you mean (in a broader sense) some kind of totally surprising and unexpected behavior of another person ? If yes, some events can indeed trigger interesting 'responses' from a person, which in turn can cause irritation in his or her environment.
Well, I have experienced something similar about 7 or 8 years ago..
There was this girl in my class at school; an "almost-girlfriend" at that time, if you want to put it that way. So that girl sat down during a break in our classroom (back then we had set up an old SUPER NES console) and started playing some kind of beat-up game. She then asked me to play against her; as she was virtually crushed by me, she got nasty and bitchy. She started accusing me of "being addicted to video games", though that was the very first time we played together and, of course, I wasn't "playing video games all day". I knew before that she was a perfectionist in the purest sense (among many other things, she always finished every schoolyear with "1" in every school subject, no joke - which is the best school and university grade in Austria).
And I know that everyone lets off steam every now and then, but that reaction was the last thing that I expected. As it turned out, she wasn't just a perfectionist, but she really hated losing too. Once she even got angry because in one (!!) subject out of around fifteen she "just got a 2 instead of a 1" - again that's no joke.

OK, I guess the anecdote turned out a bit longer, but I think you get the idea (although it's not about "The Sims 3").
As I mentioned already, some events can unveil "unknown" parts of a person's character. Without drifting too much into philosophy, I'm not sure if I would want to "completely" know another person, even a loved one; and even if the "hidden" behavior is positive.
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n
G4TW RETIRED Forum Gatekeeper

G4TW RETIRED Forum Gatekeeper

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by ☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠ Fri 01 Feb 2013, 13:07

My sister in law didn't see the point of the Sims games. But she wasn't into games at all. Her idea of a good game was playing mah-jong online and the best part of the game was choosing your own colourscheme (no joke) and yes, she is completely sane.

Actually, I think I'm the one that usually displays unexpected behaviour (or has an unexpected opinion) that surprises people. I'm often misunderstood. Look up "lactivist", "freebirthing" and "natural parenting" to know why. Needless to say I don't usually bring that kind of stuff up in conversation lol. But I do often give my 2 cents when the topics of birth, baby food or parenting comes up. Nuanced. Very nuanced. And I get to deal with raised eyebrows a lot lol.

Add that up to being a gamer, a fan of Star Trek, not much into cliche women's things (like shoes, make up, fashion etc.) a stay at home mother and married to a muslim, I'm often pictured as a freak of nature or something like that, a burqa wearing, light-saber wielding, yoga enthusiast on bamboo slippers who is always pregnant and has a secret computer to play games on when hubby isn't home.

I love that actually, when I don't live up to people's expectations Laughing
☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠
☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠
G4TW SUPER Adminatrix
First Lady / Commander-In-Chief
G4TW SUPER Adminatrix First Lady / Commander-In-Chief

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 01 Feb 2013, 16:23

Lady ElDi wrote:My sister in law didn't see the point of the Sims games. But she wasn't into games at all. Her idea of a good game was playing mah-jong online and the best part of the game was choosing your own colourscheme (no joke) and yes, she is completely sane.

Actually, I think I'm the one that usually displays unexpected behaviour (or has an unexpected opinion) that surprises people. I'm often misunderstood. Look up "lactivist", "freebirthing" and "natural parenting" to know why. Needless to say I don't usually bring that kind of stuff up in conversation lol. But I do often give my 2 cents when the topics of birth, baby food or parenting comes up. Nuanced. Very nuanced. And I get to deal with raised eyebrows a lot lol.

Add that up to being a gamer, a fan of Star Trek, not much into cliche women's things (like shoes, make up, fashion etc.) a stay at home mother and married to a muslim, I'm often pictured as a freak of nature or something like that, a burqa wearing, light-saber wielding, yoga enthusiast on bamboo slippers who is always pregnant and has a secret computer to play games on when hubby isn't home.

I love that actually, when I don't live up to people's expectations Laughing
Woah.

Continuing on.
I tried to ger my boyfriend to play Sims 3 and it took him HOURS to get even 10% of a house done. He's so anal and it's kinda disgusting. It just takes him forever to do ANYTHING. I don't even wanna know how he's going to act when he actually has to have human interaction in the game.

My best friend on the other hand is a Sims 3 addict like myself. Once she gets a computer than can handle the game (most likely when Sims 3 University Life comes out) she's going to be thrilled to bitties.

I like seeing people's reactions to the sims. It's pretty funny most times, if they've never played before and have no idea what's going on. Myself on the other hand (owning every single Sims 1, 2 and 3 game and playing since the first Sims 1 game came out) I'm what some people would call a "veteran" in all of this.

Back to top Go down

Post by ☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠ Fri 01 Feb 2013, 17:01

Gasper wrote:Myself on the other hand (owning every single Sims 1, 2 and 3 game and playing since the first Sims 1 game came out) I'm what some people would call a "veteran" in all of this.

Same here, my (now ex) husband downloaded the original Sims 1 basegame for me in 2002. Been hooked ever since.
☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠
☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠
G4TW SUPER Adminatrix
First Lady / Commander-In-Chief
G4TW SUPER Adminatrix First Lady / Commander-In-Chief

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 01 Feb 2013, 17:09

My hubbie and (adult) kids can't understand my Sims addiction, but its all good--I can't get into any of the games they play either. We just agree to each his own; we all have our own systems anyway so there's no overlap (both my kids live on their own away from home). Luckily my sister is a simmer and we can share online all our Sim Obsessive behavior!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 01 Feb 2013, 19:03

Only my boyfriend plays the sims once every 6 months. And for the rest nobody of my family or friends plays it Sad
So this site is perfect if I wanna talk about my Sims addiction Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 01 Feb 2013, 19:16

Yeah I get that everytime I meet a girl.. or somebody whose not into gaming! I've been playing games since I was very young guess it was around 4 / 5 years old.. Started with an Amiga, then onto the PC! Smile My gaming addiction has always been there, around 6 years ago I made friends with my now best friend through an online game: Call of Duty and we've been friends ever since. It's very frustrating at times when you don't meet people who don't like to play games and tell you that they're rubbish, it's their opinion of course but you cannot have a nice conversation about gaming 'cause they will not understand what you are talking about.. On The Sims series, I have played gonna starting playing it again.. Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top