Old ® Games4theworld Forum / Archive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Slow game

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Slow game Empty Slow game

Post by Guest Sat 20 Apr 2013, 05:45

First, my game was working perfectly, with everything I have installed. I was happy as a clam! I went to defrag my hard drive (the computer diagnostic tool suggested) and now my Sims load SLOWLY (about 15 to 20 minutes vs the original 5 to 8 minutes) and the actual playing is choppy too. It's like that stop and go animation.

I know it had to do something with me defragging and I even tried game booster just to see if it helped, but didn't.

Any ideas what I can do.

Again, nothing new had been added or installed.

Slow game 2830496658

Back to top Go down

Slow game Empty Re: Slow game

Post by The_gh0stm4n Sat 20 Apr 2013, 17:04

deblake60 wrote:First, my game was working perfectly, with everything I have installed. I was happy as a clam! I went to defrag my hard drive (the computer diagnostic tool suggested) and now my Sims load SLOWLY (about 15 to 20 minutes vs the original 5 to 8 minutes) and the actual playing is choppy too. It's like that stop and go animation.

I know it had to do something with me defragging and I even tried game booster just to see if it helped, but didn't.

Any ideas what I can do.

Again, nothing new had been added or installed.
Slow game 2830496658

Hey there,

If nothing was added to the game in the meantime , you might still try deleting the cache files in Documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3:

-CASPartCache.package
-compositorCache.package
-scriptCache.package
-simCompositorCache.package
-socialCache.package
-plus the contents of the folders "WorldCaches" & "Thumbnails"

Besides: do you have problems with other software or games ? Or is it just with the Sims 3 ?
Open the Start menu and click on "Run".Type chkdsk and hit enter.
The program will now check the drive for errors...

Good luck!

Last edited by Carlos G. on Sat 27 Apr 2013, 17:05; edited 1 time in total
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n
G4TW RETIRED Forum Gatekeeper

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 20 Apr 2013, 17:16

Thanks Carlos. It's pretty much my more intense games (Sims 3, GTA, and Star Wars the Force II) and my Adobe Photoshop also takes forever. My other stuff runs normally, my Zoo Tycoon, Star Trek Voyager Elite and The Incredible Hulk and all my MS Office without issues.

I did all the caches except the World and Thumbnails, which I will try here shortly and I never thought of chkdsk.

I'll update this is in a little while.

Thanks! Smile

EDIT// chkdsk didn't find anything wrong and I deleted the regular caches and the contents out of the two folders you suggested. It did shave 3 minutes off of the total loading time, but the game play is a bit choppy. I tested the other games and same results with faster loading, but slow playing.

I appreciate the effort, thanks. Smile

Last edited by deblake60 on Sat 20 Apr 2013, 18:42; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : updated information)

Back to top Go down

Post by ☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠ Sat 20 Apr 2013, 20:36

Hello,

It might be a long shot, but it could be worth to check all your drivers for updates.
☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠
☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠
G4TW SUPER Adminatrix
First Lady / Commander-In-Chief
G4TW SUPER Adminatrix First Lady / Commander-In-Chief

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 20 Apr 2013, 21:00

One of the first things I had done Lady Eldi. I actually thought it may have been my video driver, but it's up to date.

I'm really leaning towards the fact that I unwittingly dorked things up when I defragged. Not even sure why or how that had or would happen?

As I said before I defrag everything was great.

On another forum someone suggested getting AVG PcTune up. I did and I'm currently running several of the scanners and such.

Looks like it's finding all kinds of things for me to tweak on the desktop, but won't know more until it finish, I apply the tweaks and run Sims 3.

If the program works I will want to share it with you all. Heck, even if it doesn't work for me, I'll still find a way to share it.

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Sat 20 Apr 2013, 21:25

deblake60 wrote:One of the first things I had done Lady Eldi. I actually thought it may have been my video driver, but it's up to date.

I'm really leaning towards the fact that I unwittingly dorked things up when I defragged. Not even sure why or how that had or would happen?

As I said before I defrag everything was great.

On another forum someone suggested getting AVG PcTune up. I did and I'm currently running several of the scanners and such.

Looks like it's finding all kinds of things for me to tweak on the desktop, but won't know more until it finish, I apply the tweaks and run Sims 3.

If the program works I will want to share it with you all. Heck, even if it doesn't work for me, I'll still find a way to share it.

Some other thoughts:

- How often did you play Sims 3 before defragging ? Normally if you defrag the drive, the software you use most often will run a bit faster, while those you don't use that much get a lower "priority". So after starting the game more often, you could try defragging again.
- Did you realise any changes in the graphics settings of either your game or your computer ?
- Maybe it's even something more "banal": run a virus/malware check to be sure that this isn't slowing down your computer.
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 20 Apr 2013, 21:35

I played daily. Well, at least 3 to 5 times a week pending schedule and often for an average of 2 hours.
Everything is set where I originally had it.
I already ran the virus/malware and it did find a couple of things, but nothing in the "Red" or "High Risk" area- - - but I still had the program delete them.
Currently, as mentioned, I'm running the AVG PCtune-up program.

After all this and if my Sims still have issues, then I will re run another defrag.
Your previous suggestions did shave off a few minutes, Carlos. So I did gain some ground.

Back to top Go down

Post by ☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠ Sun 21 Apr 2013, 12:28

Hello,

Please let us know the result.
☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠
☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠
G4TW SUPER Adminatrix
First Lady / Commander-In-Chief
G4TW SUPER Adminatrix First Lady / Commander-In-Chief

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 22 Apr 2013, 03:55

None of it worked. Sad

But, at least I can still play. I just have to either get used to the slower and chopper game or just uninstall and reinstall.

Choices, choices.

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Mon 22 Apr 2013, 17:07

deblake60 wrote:None of it worked. Sad

But, at least I can still play. I just have to either get used to the slower and chopper game or just uninstall and reinstall.

Choices, choices.

Look at my post here. Maybe if you delete your Sim's memories the gameplay will improve a bit.
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 27 Apr 2013, 02:46

I was checking online (still) for other possibilities to speed up the game. One of the hints I came across was to go to:

1) "msconfig", then to "Boot" and then the "Advance Options"
2) Change the "Number of Processors"
3) The "Ok" and reboot.

Now here's my question: By default the number of processors is only "1" and I have a 4 processor machine.
Would this be a good thing to try and switch to 4 processors? Or will this mess everything up more?

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Sat 27 Apr 2013, 17:00

deblake60 wrote:I was checking online (still) for other possibilities to speed up the game. One of the hints I came across was to go to:

1) "msconfig", then to "Boot" and then the "Advance Options"
2) Change the "Number of Processors"
3) The "Ok" and reboot.

Now here's my question: By default the number of processors is only "1" and I have a 4 processor machine.
Would this be a good thing to try and switch to 4 processors? Or will this mess everything up more?

Hello again,

Currently, most PC games (including the Sims 3) are unable to use more than 1 processor...in fact this is highly unusual.
One exception is (certain) chess software, like my Deep Rybka 4..

No, I don't think you will mess up your system, but if you really changed the settings from "1" to "4" it just wouldn't make any difference.
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 27 Apr 2013, 18:28

Thanks for getting back to me, Carlos.

Since you don't think it would help, then I'll leave settings as they are and try to find another way.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 28 Apr 2013, 14:38

Hey guys, i got some info about this 1 or 4 processor settings...when I played GTA San Andreas I had some problems with mouse and to solve this issue I started the game and while it was running press ctr+alt+del to process menu, find gta and change setting from all 4 to 1 and back to game and problem was solved. But had to do this "move" every time I started the game..but it helped, so I guess You can try it anyway with sims ^^ sry for my english :p

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 28 Apr 2013, 22:14

Sarna7470 wrote:Hey guys, i got some info about this 1 or 4 processor settings...when I played GTA San Andreas I had some problems with mouse and to solve this issue I started the game and while it was running press ctr+alt+del to process menu, find gta and change setting from all 4 to 1 and back to game and problem was solved. But had to do this "move" every time I started the game..but it helped, so I guess You can try it anyway with sims ^^ sry for my english :p
Thanks for the reply, Sarna.

I went into the Task manager and then to Processes and then found the sims3, but I did not see where to change the processor. Only thing I found was to change the priority, which was on "normal" by default.

Where did I need to go to find and change the processor?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 29 Apr 2013, 09:08

It's option Affinity;)

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Mon 29 Apr 2013, 10:34

As far as I'm concerned, I have changed my settings from "1" to "2" processors on my machine - and I don't see any difference (neither positive nor negative) with regard to the Sims 3, or even most of my software..
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 30 Apr 2013, 13:46

I use this one to play the Sims. Basically, what it does is pause every other process on your computer when you start the game, and then restarts them when you quit. That way you might not exhaust your resources and speed up the game... cheers

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top