Old ® Games4theworld Forum / Archive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Special Sims only. [CLOSED]

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Special Sims only. [CLOSED] Empty Special Sims only. [CLOSED]

Post by Guest Thu 16 May 2013, 20:40

Just saying that as I see it that special forums or areas of the board that only VIPs can access is similar to the USA in the 1950's when whites were allowed in one bathroom and blacks were not.
I know U R not racist, and I know U R not discriminatory, but the segregated forums seem so. Just saying

Back to top Go down

Special Sims only. [CLOSED] Empty Re: Special Sims only. [CLOSED]

Post by Guest Thu 16 May 2013, 21:03

I don't see your point.
Every forum has sections to enable different categories of people to talk about different subjects.
Moderators for example might want to talk about things regarding the forum administration, Developers would want to talk about code which nobody else would probably understand and Helpers might want to share about things to help people better without everyone knowing about it!
This is the same in our society, even though it's hidden, we don't have anything "open to everyone" per se...

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Thu 16 May 2013, 21:07

Hello Hathon,

Thank you for your complaint. To be honest, I don't really understand what you mean, since we do not have any VIP-only sections on the Forum. (Except for the VIP "Special ranks" area, but that one is out of use anyway)

If you mean the separated The Sims 3 forums, that's mainly to make it easier for you, our members/visitors, and for ourself. It keeps things organized. When a topic is posted in the right section, we know what to expect. For example, I do not know a lot about The Sims 3 in-game problems, but Lady ElDi does. That's why I prefer sticking to the "The Sims 3 download" section.
It's not organized if everyone posts all kinds of problems in one Forum. And since our fanbase consists of mostly The Sims 3 gamers, the separate category wasn't a bad idea after all. It makes it easier for us to provide help to you guys in an organized way.

Besides that, you shouldn't compare this to the situation then, this is a Forum. We do not judge anyone, everyone is welcome here.

I hope you understand, and please do let us know if you have more concerns.

//EDIT

Oh wait, I thought you meant the "The Sims" sections, because of your topic title.
As for the "Special ranks areas", it's pretty much as Shamrock explained; not everything has to be shared. I'm pretty sure you do not want to be bothered with Admin stuff, do you?
It's like going into a store and asking: "Why can't I go through the 'Employees only' door? That's racist!", right?
Admin
Admin
G4TW RETIRED Adminator
GΛMΣ MΛƧƬΣЯ / Forum Founder
G4TW RETIRED Adminator GΛMΣ MΛƧƬΣЯ / Forum Founder

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 16 May 2013, 23:51

Agreed. Hathon, do you really want to know everything? What if they have bestiality videos in there? Or Twilight worshiping topics? Or Justin Bieber nude footage? Or, worse, My Little Pony discussions?!

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Fri 17 May 2013, 00:34

Hathon wrote:Just saying that as I see it that special forums or areas of the board that only VIPs can access is similar to the USA in the 1950's when whites were allowed in one bathroom and blacks were not.
I know U R not racist, and I know U R not discriminatory, but the segregated forums seem so. Just saying

Hello,

I'd like to elaborate a bit on what Admin and Shamrock said. To use an analogy to begin with: we probably all agree that if people are denied access from e.g. public services due to their "ethnicity" then that's racist. But is it racist if "normal" users cannot view the special ranks fora ? Can we say that knowing about the contents of these fora is comparable to e.g. the right of getting medical treatment in emergencies ? Or being able to buy food ? Or being allowed to use public toilets ? I would say no.
I mean, as far as the "Helpers" area is concerned, you can imagine it like some sort of internal discussion forum in which solutions to specific problems are discussed.

But OK, as an experiment let's assume for a moment that it is really racist that you cannot access the special ranks areas. Alright, now a newly registered user could also say something like "Hey, why don't I get promoted to a Helper/Moderator/Administrator ?! This is racist!". Sounds crazy ? Maybe, but from a theoretical standpoint this is a legitimate example. So the question now is, if you insist that restricted access to the special ranks fora is racist, where do you draw a line ?

And (believe it or not), I'm certainly the last person on earth defending these racist
Special Sims only. [CLOSED] 4049071320. And I do not like playing the "devil's advocate" either (although my above thoughts may look like that). But this forum here is virtually not racist. If I see someone posting racist Special Sims only. [CLOSED] 4049071320 in "my" Sims 3 section (in which I can moderate posts), it will be a pleasure for me to counter that - swiftly, but still with calm composure. And I'm sure that the other Helpers, Moderators and both Admins will also "clean" the forum if something like that occurs.

Growing up and having lived most of my life in Austria (sorry Admin if this now is against the forum's policy) I've seen a hell of a lot of racist bull**it, due to me not being "caucasian", in the eyes of many Austrians. If you could understand German and read through most of the internet fora there, you would turn sick, and yes I mean it. Make no mistake, that's not the only country with racist fora, but this is not relevant here.
What is relevant though is that here, in G4TW's forum, there is practically no such thing as racism - and again, believe it or not, I do not make such assessments very often in my life; no matter if real or "virtual" life.
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n
G4TW RETIRED Forum Gatekeeper

G4TW RETIRED Forum Gatekeeper

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by ☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠ Fri 17 May 2013, 07:55

It's not racist to disallow regular users access to certain parts of the forum. Simply because access to those areas is not granted or disallowed based on race.
I don't know (nor do I care) about the race of (most of) my fellow team members. I do know what it's like to be discriminated against because of race. Not personally, but my husband is an immigrant in my country. It doesn't matter that he's been here almost 35 years and speaks near fluent Dutch. He'll always be an "allochtoon" in the eyes of some people. As will my children.
Now if that doesn't even start to compare to what was going on with blacks and whites in the 50's, how can an "employees only" section on a forum do?
☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠
☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠
G4TW SUPER Adminatrix
First Lady / Commander-In-Chief
G4TW SUPER Adminatrix First Lady / Commander-In-Chief

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 18 May 2013, 16:26

TUN3R wrote:Agreed. Hathon, do you really want to know everything? What if they have bestiality videos in there? Or Twilight worshiping topics? Or Justin Bieber nude footage? Or, worse, My Little Pony discussions?!

Damn, I thought the "my little pony" decusions were our secret, who let the pony out the bag?

Back to top Go down

Post by invalidusername Sun 19 May 2013, 07:35

Fields wrote:
TUN3R wrote:Agreed. Hathon, do you really want to know everything? What if they have bestiality videos in there? Or Twilight worshiping topics? Or Justin Bieber nude footage? Or, worse, My Little Pony discussions?!

Damn, I thought the "my little pony" decusions were our secret, who let the pony out the bag?

I know! This sucks, now the whole forum is going to know about how much we love those darn ponies. And I thought we all agreed to keep quiet.

But seriously. We are here to help. Those "special sections" don't actually get used for much more than little discussions on how to better the forum or let others know about circumstances in our life that will take us away from the forum for a little while. And if you look at the most recent posts next to the title of the forum on the main page, you can see that none of them actually are used very often. They're just there for if we need them, for the dirty behind-the-scenes work that makes this forum a great place to get help and have fun discussions. Smile
invalidusername
invalidusername
G4TW RETIRED Moderatrix
Discharged with Honors

G4TW RETIRED Moderatrix Discharged with Honors

Windows version :
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims, Assassin's Creed (All), Elder Scolls, Dragon Age : Origins, Harvest Moon, Mario, Zelda, Psychonauts, SimCity, House of the Dead : Overkill, Magic: The Gathering, Saint's Row, Civilization 5, The Witcher

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 01 Jun 2013, 07:04

Excellent I got some decent and thought out responses here. More then I expected. And now I think I am gonna leave it alone cus there is enough going on at the moment. But I will return on this.

(AND yes I do want to know everything, including what they use when they do the things they do...)

Back to top Go down

Post by J.T. Mon 03 Jun 2013, 04:19

Hathon wrote:Excellent I got some decent and thought out responses here. More then I expected. And now I think I am gonna leave it alone cus there is enough going on at the moment. But I will return on this.

(AND yes I do want to know everything, including what they use when they do the things they do...)
Why do you want to know everything? As Shamrock and Carlos G. said before, is it legit to see what is behind the "Employees Only" door? That doesn't make any sense at all. Like if they want to discuss something about management of the forum or anything that doesn't bother you, why should you know all these? You, as a supermarket customer for instance, wouldn't want to know anything about how the groceries are arranged and how to label the groceries, or freaking "mysterious" long ISBN thingy (although it's not ISBN, I dunno what that is). You wouldn't know The Board of Directors' management system of a company if you purchase their product. Why would you bother all these?
J.T.
J.T.
G4TW RETIRED Helper / VIP
Discharged with Honors
G4TW RETIRED Helper / VIP Discharged with Honors

Windows version :
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by ☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠ Mon 03 Jun 2013, 07:25

Some people are curious by nature. I always wanted to know what's behind the "employees only" door in the supermarket. Not so spectacular though, lol.
☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠
☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠
G4TW SUPER Adminatrix
First Lady / Commander-In-Chief
G4TW SUPER Adminatrix First Lady / Commander-In-Chief

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by invalidusername Mon 03 Jun 2013, 08:15

Lady ElDi wrote:Some people are curious by nature. I always wanted to know what's behind the "employees only" door in the supermarket. Not so spectacular though, lol.

So true! At work, all that's behind those doors is a huge mess, and a bunch of people pretending to be busy. XD
invalidusername
invalidusername
G4TW RETIRED Moderatrix
Discharged with Honors

G4TW RETIRED Moderatrix Discharged with Honors

Windows version :
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims, Assassin's Creed (All), Elder Scolls, Dragon Age : Origins, Harvest Moon, Mario, Zelda, Psychonauts, SimCity, House of the Dead : Overkill, Magic: The Gathering, Saint's Row, Civilization 5, The Witcher

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon 03 Jun 2013, 18:52

invalidusername wrote:(...) and a bunch of people pretending to be busy. XD
Is your supermarket called Electronic Arts?
Admin
Admin
G4TW RETIRED Adminator
GΛMΣ MΛƧƬΣЯ / Forum Founder
G4TW RETIRED Adminator GΛMΣ MΛƧƬΣЯ / Forum Founder

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by J.T. Tue 04 Jun 2013, 08:19

Special Sims only. [CLOSED] Funny-10
I loled when i saw that

Moderator edit: I'm closing this now. To the topic creator: believe it or not, there are also practical reasons for us to have these forum areas, for example where we can discuss about promoting or demoting/banning users. It wouldn't be a good idea if others saw that. And if "you know we are not racist", why do you hint at that possibility by pointing out the special ranks fora ? Sorry, if you can't comply with that, you may want to look for another forum.

- Carlos
J.T.
J.T.
G4TW RETIRED Helper / VIP
Discharged with Honors
G4TW RETIRED Helper / VIP Discharged with Honors

Windows version :
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)

Male

Back to top Go down