Old ® Games4theworld Forum / Archive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Suggest a game - GTA style

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Suggest a game - GTA style Empty Suggest a game - GTA style

Post by Guest Sat 21 Sep 2013, 18:38

Okay so I am waiting for both Sims 4 as well as GTA V to come out for pc.  But in the meantime I want a GTA or similar game.  I have never played GTA but want to try it out.  The question is...which one is best.  I have seen other similar type games, Saints Row....Mafia....and all the GTA games.

So which would you recommend me for a good game to be my first GTA or GTA type game.

//EDIT

Oh and for PC as well, I don't have a console.

Mod edit: NO double-posting, please. Use the "edit"-button to edit your original post.

- Carlos

whoops, sorry.  I missed the edit button up there, and actually I thought I was editing because of the reply button below the box.  I just assumed that because it was my post that the edit box popped up.  That'll teach me to assume.  Thanks Carlos for fixing it for me.

Last edited by Ashkevron on Sat 21 Sep 2013, 22:27; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : thanking Mod)

Back to top Go down

Suggest a game - GTA style Empty Re: Suggest a game - GTA style

Post by Admin Sun 22 Sep 2013, 21:03

Hello there,

If you want to be introduced to GTA, don't play Saints Row. (Saints Row is good in its own way) Maffia (II) is also a very good game, but not really comparable to GTA, I think.

If you like oldskool, go for GTA: San Andreas. If you like good graphics and gameplay - requires a high-end PC, if you want to use the nice graphics and stuff - go for GTA IV. I personally think the GTA IV graphics were way ahead of their time.
Admin
Admin
G4TW RETIRED Adminator
GΛMΣ MΛƧƬΣЯ / Forum Founder
G4TW RETIRED Adminator GΛMΣ MΛƧƬΣЯ / Forum Founder

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Mon 23 Sep 2013, 20:29

Ashkevron wrote:Okay so I am waiting for both Sims 4 as well as GTA V to come out for pc.  But in the meantime I want a GTA or similar game.  I have never played GTA but want to try it out.  The question is...which one is best.  I have seen other similar type games, Saints Row....Mafia....and all the GTA games.

So which would you recommend me for a good game to be my first GTA or GTA type game.

Oh and for PC as well, I don't have a console.

Hello,

I played "Godfather II" some years ago, which is somewhat similar to the "Mafia" games, but I personally like Mafia II more. You might also want to give the "Hitman" series a try, although they probably don't have much in common with GTA (I only know GTA San Andreas), except being "third-person shooters". The latest installment in this series is "Hitman: Absolution".

The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n
G4TW RETIRED Forum Gatekeeper

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 24 Sep 2013, 08:34

well kinda following in the gta style but then way back,you can try Assasin Creed

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 28 Sep 2013, 19:57

wow, do I suck at driving...heheehe

GTA IV though was definitely the way to go.  I tried Saints Row on a friend of my brothers computer.  Yeah it seemed.....silly. 

But I am getting better at driving in gta so it is just a matter of practice.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 22 Oct 2013, 20:21

True Crime: New York, and True Crime: Streets of LA are older, but fun games. I played em for the PS2. But I just googled PC Versions, and they were released for PC.

Back to top Go down

Post by J.T. Wed 23 Oct 2013, 05:06

larsV wrote:well kinda following in the gta style but then way back,you can try Assasin Creed
I agree, Assassin Creed is a great game.
J.T.
J.T.
G4TW RETIRED Helper / VIP
Discharged with Honors
G4TW RETIRED Helper / VIP Discharged with Honors

Windows version :
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 21 May 2014, 06:21

I'd highly recommend playing Sleeping Dogs by Square Enix. I just started playing it myself recently, and its a really great game. i'll refrain from describing it cause i would hate to sell it short, but if you never saw it or heard of it, look it up. in my opinion its a must play.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 21 May 2014, 08:55

hmm game is not out but keep a eye on watch dogs,go to you tube and watch the trailer.

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed 21 May 2014, 19:58

Misfit203 wrote:I'd highly recommend playing Sleeping Dogs by Square Enix. I just started playing it myself recently, and its a really great game. i'll refrain from describing it cause i would hate to sell it short, but if you never saw it or heard of it, look it up. in my opinion its a must play.
Hi there,

I finished that one within a few days. It was on Steam sale for -90% once. I think that was a bug, but ah, lucky me!
The game was a plain masterpiece for me. Not because of the graphics, but I liked the story and LOVED the setting/theme. It really felt like I was visiting Hong Kong when playing the game.
One of the scenes I can't forget, is the one where one of the characters is sitting outside, eating noodles in the rain (great sound effects) and beautiful traditional Chinese music playing in the background.

Awesome game, but short storyline, if you ask me.

larsV wrote:hmm game is not out but keep a eye on watch dogs,go to you tube and watch the trailer.
Pre-ordered that one earlier today, let's hope it's not as overhyped as Thief. Razz
Admin
Admin
G4TW RETIRED Adminator

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 29 Jun 2014, 11:37

larsV wrote:hmm game is not out but keep a eye on watch dogs,go to you tube and watch the trailer.
Pre-ordered that one earlier today, let's hope it's not as overhyped as Thief. Razz
And Admin did you played it? even with out the last patch for the graphics,it is a great game to play.

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sat 05 Jul 2014, 20:41

larsV wrote:

And Admin did you played it? even with out the last patch for the graphics,it is a great game to play.
Hi there,

Of course I did! The overloading Uplay/Ubisoft prevented me from playing it the first day though... Didn't have much time that day anyway.

I love it! I try to take it slow on the campaign, so I can enjoy the game even more. I've become quite good in the online gameplay, which I also love. (Especially hacking into other people's games while they're doing a mission or something Razz )
Did they release a graphics patch? If I'm not mistaken, the last patch was to improve online gameplay. (Which was pretty laggy back at launch)
Admin
Admin
G4TW RETIRED Adminator

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Sat 17 Jan 2015, 14:33

Admin wrote:If you like oldskool, go for GTA: San Andreas. If you like good graphics and gameplay - requires a high-end PC, if you want to use the nice graphics and stuff - go for GTA IV. I personally think the GTA IV graphics were way ahead of their time.

Ashkevron wrote:GTA IV though was definitely the way to go.  I tried Saints Row on a friend of my brothers computer.  Yeah it seemed.....silly. 

OK, that's an ancient thread, but I think I still need to add my stuff here also (which I for some reason forgot to add to my above post back then). Very Happy

What hasn't been mentioned in this thread is that - besides the technical differences between GTA: San Andreas & GTA IV - these 2 games are made for 2 totally different types of "audiences". In my opinion.

San Andreas is more for the casual gamer who doesn't want to bother with realistic crazy in-game physics like nearly uncontrollable cars, and who likes humorous in-game elements. In other words: casual and funny gameplay, which is not too hard. Two illustrative examples; the first one about a mission where you take control of a radio-controlled toy plane and "fight the enemy". The second one where you fight a bunch of construction workers and then ditch the foreman, who's hiding in a toilet.

GTA IV, in contrast, has top graphics and it also "feels" much more realistic. However, if you get hit by a car, your character (Niko Bellic) doesn't get up again so quickly. If you shoot someone who is holding a weapon, he or she might still be able to fire it, even after getting hit - potentially hurting or even killing you. Driving cars is MUCH harder than in San Andreas, though of course more realistic too. The police - from wanted level 4 and upward - are also MUCH more intelligent than in any previous GTA title. 

If let's say you have enough skill/experience and the right weaponry in San Andreas, you may even think about fighting the cops for a while, just for practice. I remember, I used to do that pretty often. Very Happy  With the minigun, I actually took on the Level 6 authorities (military), and fought them off for a while at least. Note that I wasn't simply hiding on a rooftop or in some corner; I was "on the run". 

In GTA IV, don't bother fighting the cops, even if you think you're bada$$. Your main objective will be to get the hell to a savepoint as quickly as you can. 

Beyond that, GTA IV generally has a very "dark" and serious in-game overtone. In my opinion almost the total opposite of San Andreas.

If someone wants to get started on third-person shooters, I'd actually recommend San Andreas, because of its ease of in-game play. Or even Saints Row. GTA Vice City, for instance, feels similar to San Andreas, but the aiming system is a bit harder to get used to. GTA IV, again in contrast, is overall harder to play, though I do like it too. My personal favorite would be still San Andreas though, and as a small extra: I also like all the military vehicles and hardware, which don't exist in GTA IV, like the military battle tank, jet fighter, attack helicopter, and the minigun. Very Happy  

Also note that "more realism" usually also means more difficult gameplay. 
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top