Old ® Games4theworld Forum / Archive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

External storage...what to pick?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

External storage...what to pick? Empty External storage...what to pick?

Post by Guest Sun 29 Sep 2013, 02:03

A few months ago I lost my hard drive....I mean the drive failed.  Luckily it was under warranty and was replaced, however the loss of data was not easily replaced.  My music, stories ( I am a writer ), and my games. 

So what I am interested in is suggestions and opinions on what kind of backup would be best.  I am interested in reliability over speed.  Now I have a dvd burner but for large files that won't work....for example and specifically when I download all the Sims 3 files again.  Things I have looked at for ideas are flashdrives of various sizes, an actual external hard drive, blu ray burner.  Price is a concern but would not necessarily be the deciding factor....like if flashdrives are going to be as secure and reliable as a blu ray burner and buying 4 of them would cost less than a blu ray burner plus the media...then I would go the flashdrives.

I am hoping for suggestions and opinions based on what you use.....brand names, horror stories, best price, reliability, ease of use.  I would say that at the very upper limit I am looking to store maybe around 100gig.  That would be games (again mostly all the sims 3 stuff), some stories, music, maybe a couple movies.

Any input is appreciated.

Back to top Go down

External storage...what to pick? Empty Re: External storage...what to pick?

Post by Guest Sun 29 Sep 2013, 20:31

I like WD Passport. It is reliable and durable.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 29 Sep 2013, 23:09

oh wow, now those are amazing.  not sure how I didn't see those in all my searching but I guess I was focusing more on flashdrives and blu ray.  but that is definitely the ticket right there.  How long have you had yours?  Any problems?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 30 Sep 2013, 13:39

Well I have mine for two years now, and it's still as good as new.
Bought it new from ebay (that way I got it cheaper), and it comes with security features and all...

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon 30 Sep 2013, 22:55

Hi there,

I used to write a lot of stories, so I feel your pain(!). I have a backup of those important stuff on every USB stick and HDD I own, lol.
Admin
Admin
G4TW RETIRED Adminator
GΛMΣ MΛƧƬΣЯ / Forum Founder
G4TW RETIRED Adminator GΛMΣ MΛƧƬΣЯ / Forum Founder

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 30 Sep 2013, 23:28

I thought I was good...I had a dvd with my stories on them.  Unfortunately it was corrupted and I was devastated.  Luckily though, it turned out that I had saved them on some free online storage thingie.  I had completely forgotten about it and found it by accident as I was looking through saved emails hoping against hope I had mailed myself a couple of files.  There was a message in there confirming my account and stuff....I went there and voila, all my files except for 2 more recent ones.  I was ecstatic.

So yeah now I have multiple saves of my stories...the other stuff like music, videos and games I can always download again but not the stories.  So I now have 3 dvd's, 2 online storage, 3 separate email accounts that I have mailed the files to.  I will never lose my stories again.

By the way, that WD passport....that is definitely what I will be getting.  Hopefully sometime next month but that is just an amazing price for a massive amount of storage with very few reported problems in any reviews I have read.  Thanks for the info and suggestion.

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue 01 Oct 2013, 22:22

Ashkevron wrote:I thought I was good...I had a dvd with my stories on them.  Unfortunately it was corrupted and I was devastated.  Luckily though, it turned out that I had saved them on some free online storage thingie.  I had completely forgotten about it and found it by accident as I was looking through saved emails hoping against hope I had mailed myself a couple of files.  There was a message in there confirming my account and stuff....I went there and voila, all my files except for 2 more recent ones.  I was ecstatic.

So yeah now I have multiple saves of my stories...the other stuff like music, videos and games I can always download again but not the stories.  So I now have 3 dvd's, 2 online storage, 3 separate email accounts that I have mailed the files to.  I will never lose my stories again.

By the way, that WD passport....that is definitely what I will be getting.  Hopefully sometime next month but that is just an amazing price for a massive amount of storage with very few reported problems in any reviews I have read.  Thanks for the info and suggestion.
Hi there,

Ah, I hope you'll never lose a story again!

As for the WD Passport, hmmm... if you only want to use it for storing files and stuff - not using it portable - why not go for the (bigger) external ones. E.g. Western Digital Green, those have a lower RPM (5200), but are excellent for storing files. And the price/storage ratio is better in proportion with the Passport one. (The 2.5" HDDs are usually more expensive than the "normal" 3.5" ones)
Admin
Admin
G4TW RETIRED Adminator

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 02 Oct 2013, 16:35

Well it is true that I mostly store videos, so I didn't know about this!
Good to know!

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed 02 Oct 2013, 21:07

Shamrock wrote:Well it is true that I mostly store videos, so I didn't know about this!
Good to know!
Hi there,

At least, they are cheaper here. I don't know about your local prices, so you have to check that for yourself.
Admin
Admin
G4TW RETIRED Adminator

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top