Old ® Games4theworld Forum / Archive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

XBOX 360 Controller for PC: vibration glitch ?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

XBOX 360 Controller for PC: vibration glitch ? Empty XBOX 360 Controller for PC: vibration glitch ?

Post by The_gh0stm4n Sun 25 May 2014, 07:46

Hello all, Very Happy

Is anyone else on here using an XBOX 360 Controller for PC ? I bought the wired version I think 2 years ago; because I prefer using such a controller for certain types of games (usually driving/racing, fighting and soccer/football games). However, I quit playing shortly after buying that, and only recently started again playing with it.

And that's where I noticed this vibration glitch: whenever I turned on vibration effects in the games, I have instances where the vibration wouldn't stop anymore; the only solution then is to plug the controller out of the USB port, and then plugging it back in. Some games don't recognize the controller anymore after plugging it back in again, which means you'll have to re-start the game, and which in turn adds another "funny" dimension to this ( Facepalm  ).

I'm using the latest drivers for this controller, and re-installing the driver didn't seem to help either. But I assume that this is most likely a hardware-related glitch. Anybody else experienced that too ? 

Note that this controller is an "original" Microsoft product, which I bought from Amazon - or at least it had this "Microsoft seal of authenticity" on the packaging. Also, I never had any other issues with that controller - everything else works perfectly fine.

If there's no "solution" I can live with that too; in that case, I just turn off vibration in the options menus of the games. Razz  Thanks in advance for any ideas !

Last edited by Carlos on Sun 25 May 2014, 21:29; edited 1 time in total
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n
G4TW RETIRED Forum Gatekeeper

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

XBOX 360 Controller for PC: vibration glitch ? Empty Re: XBOX 360 Controller for PC: vibration glitch ?

Post by Admin Sun 25 May 2014, 14:24

Hi there,

I do use the original wireless Xbox 360 controller for games like Assassin's Creed. For that, I've bought a special wireless (third-party) USB receiver.
How did you connect a wired Xbox 360 controller to your PC? It doesn't have a USB plug, right?
Admin
Admin
G4TW RETIRED Adminator
GΛMΣ MΛƧƬΣЯ / Forum Founder
G4TW RETIRED Adminator GΛMΣ MΛƧƬΣЯ / Forum Founder

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

XBOX 360 Controller for PC: vibration glitch ? Empty Re: XBOX 360 Controller for PC: vibration glitch ?

Post by The_gh0stm4n Sun 25 May 2014, 21:26

Admin wrote:Hi there,

I do use the original wireless Xbox 360 controller for games like Assassin's Creed. For that, I've bought a special wireless (third-party) USB receiver.
How did you connect a wired Xbox 360 controller to your PC? It doesn't have a USB plug, right?

This controller is stated to be suitable (and intended) for PC gaming; it is plugged into a USB port of a PC. Very Happy  So yes, the controller has a USB plug. Razz This thing with the wireless controller and the receiver sounds good, maybe I'll try that one in the future.

This here:

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Xbox-360-Controller-Windows/dp/B004QRKWLA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1401045754&sr=8-1&keywords=xbox360+controller+pc
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun 25 May 2014, 23:24

Hi there,

Ah, special Windows version, I see. Then the first thing that comes to my mind is the driver.
Try this: http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/nl-nl/d/xbox-360-controller-for-windows Wink
Admin
Admin
G4TW RETIRED Adminator

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Tue 27 May 2014, 20:26

Ah, special Windows version, I see. Then the first thing that comes to my mind is the driver.
Try this: http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/nl-nl/d/xbox-360-controller-for-windows Wink

Yes, I did that already (see my opening post Razz ). The fact that I don't seem to encounter any other issues besides this vibration glitch, would - in my opinion - speak in favor of a hardware glitch, rather than a driver failure. But thanks for the effort, still ! Very Happy

As stated, the overall quality of that controller is pretty good, but I can live with that glitch, by just turning off the vibration in the options menus...Razz  
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri 30 May 2014, 20:32

Carlos wrote:

Yes, I did that already (see my opening post Razz ).
I see. Sad
Did you actually use the one I linked you to? Most likely you did.

I did some research on this problem too, but couldn't find much. One was of a guy who spilled juice on his controller (LOL) and another one suggested taking out the vibrator motor.  Facepalm
Another interesting thing I read, was about a "fake" controller. I used to have one of these (wired) cheap Chinese controllers myself. It worked great for a few months, but then one of the buttons started acting up. It'd still work, but not as good as before. (Such a pain in the argh when you're playing Assassin's Creed and are trying to chase someone)

Anyway, can you confirm it's really a 100% original Microsoft controller? Because the one I got from China got a nice and shiny Microsoft sticker on it too, lol.  Facepalm  Facepalm
Maybe you can post a picture of your controller?
Admin
Admin
G4TW RETIRED Adminator

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Fri 06 Jun 2014, 00:05

Admin wrote:I see. Sad
Did you actually use the one I linked you to? Most likely you did.

I did some research on this problem too, but couldn't find much. One was of a guy who spilled juice on his controller (LOL) and another one suggested taking out the vibrator motor.  Facepalm
Another interesting thing I read, was about a "fake" controller. I used to have one of these (wired) cheap Chinese controllers myself. It worked great for a few months, but then one of the buttons started acting up. It'd still work, but not as good as before. (Such a pain in the argh when you're playing Assassin's Creed and are trying to chase someone)

Anyway, can you confirm it's really a 100% original Microsoft controller? Because the one I got from China got a nice and shiny Microsoft sticker on it too, lol.  Facepalm  Facepalm
Maybe you can post a picture of your controller?

There is ONLY this particular driver you linked to. Smile  And no, I didn't spill any juice either.

XBOX 360 Controller for PC: vibration glitch ? Bild0023

XBOX 360 Controller for PC: vibration glitch ? Bild0024

XBOX 360 Controller for PC: vibration glitch ? Bild0025

The last picture isn't that good, but yes. The controller I ordered had "Microsoft" as its manufacturer listed, on the Amazon site - and the product has most of the customer reviews of the controllers on there...also, the fact that after 2 years of occasional (heavy) gaming with Pro Evolution Soccer, Mortal Kombat, Streetfighter x Tekken, Driver: San Francisco and many other games, the controller works perfectly fine, with no issues at all, besides this vibration glitch. And I haven't even tried games like Assassin's creed, GTA IV or Call of Duty with that controller...

Which is for me a strong indicator that this is an "original" Microsoft product. Besides, (and out of fairness), "Made in China" itself doesn't say much nowadays, since virtually all consumer products are made over there. Yes, the quality standards of "original" products are usually (slightly) better than of third-party products, OK. But these original products are - at the same time - VERY RARELY even close to perfect. But then...who needs such a "perfect" product ? 

I guess my case is an example of "bad luck"; so I might have caught a controller with this particular glitch, but it doesn't mean that ALL these controllers have the same deficit. At the launch of XBOX 360, people either got a *working* console or a *non-working* console - it really depended on luck (meanwhile it's better though). And the same happened at the launch of XBOX One...

But that's no big deal for me - again, I just turn off the vibration in the in-game menus of the games, and that's it. Very Happy  
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 14 Sep 2014, 15:44

Hello Carlos, I use a 3rd party wireless dongle to connect my 360 controller and I do not have any vibration issues. However I did experience a sound issue while running original bioshock off steam. The sound just stopped working when using a controller and eventually all together only once in game. I use a headset and it works though. If you don't mind spending the money I heard Xbox one controllers are built to work as plug and play for windows in wired configuration, microsoft built the drivers for it into windows and the controller itself. Sometimes the new drivers can mess up the controller and you need older drivers.

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Sun 14 Sep 2014, 17:35

Beeker980 wrote:Hello Carlos, I use a 3rd party wireless dongle to connect my 360 controller and I do not have any vibration issues. However I did experience a sound issue while running original bioshock off steam. The sound just stopped working when using a controller and eventually all together only once in game. I use a headset and it works though. If you don't mind spending the money I heard Xbox one controllers are built to work as plug and play for windows in wired configuration, microsoft built the drivers for it into windows and the controller itself. Sometimes the new drivers can mess up the controller and you need older drivers.

Hello Beeker and welcome,

The thing is, this XBOX360 Controller doesn't need any drivers either, technically. It can alos function as a plug and play device. While I'm not a hardware/electronics expert, this alone is a strong indicator - in my opinion - that the drivers are NOT the issue. But yes, thanks for the input still. Maybe I'll look into buying one of these new XBOX one controllers. Very Happy
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 14 Sep 2014, 17:47

What OS are you using? Microsoft has actual controller software they distribute for wired ones. I can send you the link

Back to top Go down

Post by Layloria Sun 14 Sep 2014, 20:30

Hello,

I have this vibration glitch and I tried playing with it before but after while, the numbing becomes unbearable. The only fix I found was to unplug the device and replug it back in.

Like a Star @ heaven Layloria
Layloria
Layloria
G4TW RETIRED Helper / VIP
Discharged with Honors
G4TW RETIRED Helper / VIP Discharged with Honors

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3/4; MySims; Minecraft; Zoo Tycoon 2; GTA V; Skyrim; Sherlock Holmes Series

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Mon 15 Sep 2014, 02:23

Beeker980 wrote:What OS are you using? Microsoft has actual controller software they distribute for wired ones. I can send you the link

Yes, I know. Wink  I have the following installed for quite a few years now:
http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-us/d/xbox-360-controller-for-windows

For my OS, Windows 7 (Ultimate) x64. This particular "driver" also works for the wireless controller, btw. But no luck still.

Layloria wrote:Hello,

I have this vibration glitch and I tried playing with it before but after while, the numbing becomes unbearable. The only fix I found was to unplug the device and replug it back in.

Like a Star @ heaven Layloria

Hello Layloria,

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one experiencing this. Razz  But yes, that's one solution. Smile  There are games though (see my above posts) that do not recognize the controller anymore, after plugging it out and then back in again. Like e.g. "Driver: San Francisco". However, I don't really need that fancy vibration feature. I just turn the vibration off in the in-game options, and I'm fine. Thanks for the input ! Very Happy  
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top