Old ® Games4theworld Forum / Archive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Computer specifications?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Computer specifications? Empty Computer specifications?

Post by Guest Sun 31 Aug 2014, 20:09

Hey guys!  The Sims Plumbob 1  First of all, I am pretty sure I'm posting this in the wrong place, but I had no idea where to write this, so I am very, very sorry for that. Now the point of this topic...
I am thinking of buying a new laptop or PC, but I'm not sure which specifications I should look for. It may sound very silly, but I just am not a computer genius. Sad (You guys are the geniuses and I'm Penny from The Big Bang Theory Very Happy ) What I'd like my laptop/PC be able to do is to be capable to have the Sims 3 and all of its expansions and also the Sims 4 and all of its upcoming expansions installed and for them to run smoothly (well, as much as possible smoothly), without too much lagging (oh boy, how serious requirements for a computer Laughing ) . Besides that I'd like it to be able to do "usual" stuff (I know it sounds odd, but hopefully you know what I mean by usual stuff. If you don't - I have no idea how I should explain it Facepalm ). Basically, I'm asking you to say which specifications should my computer have based on my "requirements".  I hope that you do that and know how to do that, if not, I am very sorry for, well, posting this. xP 
Thank you for reading this and hope you can help. Smile 
P.S. Sorry for any mistakes. English is obviously not my first language. ;D

Back to top Go down

Computer specifications? Empty Re: Computer specifications?

Post by The_gh0stm4n Sun 31 Aug 2014, 20:34

lisa000 wrote:
Hey guys!  The Sims Plumbob 1  First of all, I am pretty sure I'm posting this in the wrong place, but I had no idea where to write this, so I am very, very sorry for that. Now the point of this topic...
I am thinking of buying a new laptop or PC, but I'm not sure which specifications I should look for. It may sound very silly, but I just am not a computer genius. Sad (You guys are the geniuses and I'm Penny from The Big Bang Theory Very Happy ) What I'd like my laptop/PC be able to do is to be capable to have the Sims 3 and all of its expansions and also the Sims 4 and all of its upcoming expansions installed and for them to run smoothly (well, as much as possible smoothly), without too much lagging (oh boy, how serious requirements for a computer Laughing ) . Besides that I'd like it to be able to do "usual" stuff (I know it sounds odd, but hopefully you know what I mean by usual stuff. If you don't - I have no idea how I should explain it Facepalm ). Basically, I'm asking you to say which specifications should my computer have based on my "requirements".  I hope that you do that and know how to do that, if not, I am very sorry for, well, posting this. xP 
Thank you for reading this and hope you can help. Smile 
P.S. Sorry for any mistakes. English is obviously not my first language. ;D

//MOVED

Hello lisa000,

First of all, keep in mind that there is no "one single correct answer" to your question(s) - it depends on many things. As for the question of whether laptop or a desktop computer, do you plan on using the computer outside your home too (university, school, work), or only at home ? If you only need a computer for home use, go for a desktop, if you want something to "carry around", then use a laptop.

Personally, I would rather recommend you go for a desktop in this case, since laptops are generally not made for gaming - and usually, the laptops that are more suitable for gaming tend to be more expensive than desktops - depending on where you live.

Next, if you want to go for a desktop, do you want to take a "ready-to-use" computer, or do you want to try to "build" yourself one, and select the components ? This is a huge area of discussion, but for now, keep in mind that AMD-brand components (motherboard, CPU, video card,...) tend to be LOT cheaper than stuff from INTEL. The performance is pretty much comparable though. If you want to focus on price, go for an AMD-based configuration.

Some very general guidelines:

1) Look at the CPU (processor); CPUs with about 2.5 to 3.0 GHz and at least "dual-core" construction are almost common standard now. Such a CPU would be strong enough for the Sims games.

2) Look at the RAM memory: I'd personally recommend you get a computer with AT LEAST 6 GB of RAM. That's also common standard now, and is also good enough for Sims games.

3) About the graphics card...look at the "video memory": 1GB video memory is a MUST for (properly) playing more modern games. But 2GB or more are standard. In case you decide to go for a laptop, DO NOT choose a laptop that has only a so-called "integrated graphics chip" ! These are very bad, and totally unsuitable for gaming purposes.

OK, these are my first thoughts for now. Razz  I'm almost sure I missed a few things, lol. But if you want, we can try and provide suggestions for good (and cheap) desktop configurations. Do post back ! 
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n
G4TW RETIRED Forum Gatekeeper

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 31 Aug 2014, 20:45

I actually want a desktop computer, but I live with my mom and she absolutely HATES all the cables desktop computers have, so that's kind of a problem. Although, if I say that these are going to be cheaper than a laptop - things could change. Very Happy
I'd prefer "ready to use" computers because I just got lost after I read "build yourself one" ( I feel like it'd be too much work and I'd mess up something). WhatDidUJustCallMe? I did expect that there isn't one answer to my question, but I just wanted some guidelines I guess. Very Happy Thank you! Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by J.T. Sun 31 Aug 2014, 20:56

lisa000 wrote:I actually want a desktop computer, but I live with my mom and she absolutely HATES all the cables desktop computers have, so that's kind of a problem. Although, if I say that these are going to be cheaper than a laptop - things could change. Very Happy
I'd prefer "ready to use" computers because I just got lost after I read "build yourself one" ( I feel like it'd be too much work and I'd mess up something). WhatDidUJustCallMe? I did expect that there isn't one answer to my question, but I just wanted some guidelines I guess. Very Happy Thank you! Smile

You actually do not have build yourself a computer. There are many computer stores and computer sites that offer services for building a computer according to your perfered rig (hardware, gear). There must be at least one near your place.
J.T.
J.T.
G4TW RETIRED Helper / VIP
Discharged with Honors
G4TW RETIRED Helper / VIP Discharged with Honors

Windows version :
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Sun 31 Aug 2014, 20:57

lisa000 wrote:I actually want a desktop computer, but I live with my mom and she absolutely HATES all the cables desktop computers have, so that's kind of a problem. Although, if I say that these are going to be cheaper than a laptop - things could change. Very Happy

Yes, for the price of a good laptop, you can (usually) get at least an equally good desktop computer too, if not an even better one. In the US, for example, laptops that are suitable for gaming (with a good graphics card) usually cost at least ~$900 upwards. For the same price, you could get a much better desktop PC.

Also keep in mind to look closely at the graphics card in ready-to-use desktop PCs. While they are usually strong enough for "basic" gaming (for a lack of a better word), they are often a weak point. Manufacturers often put cheap graphics cards in ready-to-use computers.

Pay attention to the graphics card then !

//EDIT

J.T. wrote:You actually do not have build yourself a computer. There are many computer stores and computer sites that offer services for building a computer according to your perfered rig (hardware, gear). There must be at least one near your place.

Just pay attention then to the prices: these "services" are not necessarily cheap in all cases. I'd personally rather look for a pre-built PC that comes at least close to what I want, rather than possibly paying extra money to these "services".
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 31 Aug 2014, 21:09

I wouldn't bet on a computer store that does that near my place. That might be just normal in the country where you live in, but here... It's a complete mess trust me. Like we're stuck in the 19th century when it comes to technology (seriously). I tried talking to "professionals" here what I should do and that didn't go well. At all. Very Happy That's why I came here. 

And when it comes to graphics cards, if I understood it well (big chance I didn't), are you saying that no matter how big is the video memory the graphic card might just be very bad?

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Sun 31 Aug 2014, 21:15

lisa000 wrote:I wouldn't bet on a computer store that does that near my place. That might be just normal in the country where you live in, but here... It's a complete mess trust me. Like we're stuck in the 19th century when it comes to technology (seriously). I tried talking to "professionals" here what I should do and that didn't go well. At all. Very Happy That's why I came here. 

And when it comes to graphics cards, if I understood it well (big chance I didn't), are you saying that no matter how big is the video memory the graphic card might just be very bad?

No, the thing with the 1GB or (better) 2GB of video memory is still "valid" if you wish. Smile What I was saying was that you should simply pay attention to whether pre-built desktop PCs have such cards. Typically, mostly the more expensive pre-built computers will have such (better) graphics cards; but maybe you find a bargain ?
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 31 Aug 2014, 21:18

Haha oh okay, sorry for my stupidness.  Facepalm Thank you so much for your help. Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Sun 31 Aug 2014, 21:26

lisa000 wrote:Haha oh okay, sorry for my stupidness.  Facepalm  Thank you so much for your help. Very Happy

No, you're not stupid. Wink  Feel free to post back here, if you feel you found an offer that suits you. If you want, we can discuss it then here. Or maybe someone else has other suggestions too.

Until then: good luck ! Very Happy 
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 31 Aug 2014, 21:29

Well I'm not exactly the genius when it comes to computers... Razz But hey, I'm trying. xD And thank you very, VERY much! Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Mon 01 Sep 2014, 21:18

lisa000 wrote:Well I'm not exactly the genius when it comes to computers... Razz But hey, I'm trying. xD And thank you very, VERY much! Very Happy

Just very briefly about the "cable mess"...yes, there will be cables, and there are various ways of dealing with that. Ranging from simple solutions (e.g. wire ties/straps) to elaborate "boxes", in which all cables can be "put" - leaving only small portions of the cables exposed.

Wire ties:

Computer specifications? PlasticCableTies

Straps:

Computer specifications? AudioHookLoopStrap

If you really want to deal with the cables. Do post back on here, whenever you found something ! Very Happy 
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 02 Sep 2014, 12:18

Haha, I don't mind cables at all, but my mum does. xD And I sure will Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by ☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠ Tue 02 Sep 2014, 12:40

I have always used this to deal with cables. It's an inexpensive, neat and quick solution.
Computer specifications? Images10
☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠
☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠
G4TW SUPER Adminatrix
First Lady / Commander-In-Chief
G4TW SUPER Adminatrix First Lady / Commander-In-Chief

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue 02 Sep 2014, 23:02

Lady ElDi wrote:I have always used this to deal with cables. It's an inexpensive, neat and quick solution.
Computer specifications? Images10
Wow, I hate these things with all my heart.
Admin
Admin
G4TW RETIRED Adminator
GΛMΣ MΛƧƬΣЯ / Forum Founder
G4TW RETIRED Adminator GΛMΣ MΛƧƬΣЯ / Forum Founder

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 06 Feb 2015, 13:17

Hello guys! I am sooooo sorry I didn't post here earlier. Sad I had some health problems, so I was kind of just travelling from one hospital to the other, but I'm okay now! ^_^ And also because of the expenses of the treatment and everything, I delayed the buying of the new laptop. But I finally found the time to search for a laptop and I decided! I am buying the Lenovo ThinkPad W540. Although it is strong enough for The Sims and some games, I decided not to use it for games, just for my school and you know for like "usual things" xP, because I don't want to mess it up or something, plus I am definitely getting a computer, as soon I figure out which I'd like to have (recommendations welcomed Very Happy). Again I am sorry that I didn't post here, but I really didn't have time. I just came real quick earlier to find The Sims 4 for my sister and also the fix (which I don't know how to install ._.). Thank you guys!

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Fri 06 Feb 2015, 23:36

lisa000 wrote:Hello guys! I am sooooo sorry I didn't post here earlier. Sad I had some health problems, so I was kind of just travelling from one hospital to the other, but I'm okay now! ^_^ And also because of the expenses of the treatment and everything, I delayed the buying of the new laptop. But I finally found the time to search for a laptop and I decided! I am buying the Lenovo ThinkPad W540. Although it is strong enough for The Sims and some games, I decided not to use it for games, just for my school and you know for like "usual things" xP, because I don't want to mess it up or something, plus I am definitely getting a computer, as soon I figure out which I'd like to have (recommendations welcomed Very Happy). Again I am sorry that I didn't post here, but I really didn't have time. I just came real quick earlier to find The Sims 4 for my sister and also the fix (which I don't know how to install ._.). Thank you guys!

That's OK. Smile  Take your time, and welcome back !

That laptop is looking good ! I would go for the cheaper model though (the one with 4GB) and then if it's possible and if you want, you could buy better RAM modules yourself (e-bay ?) and replace the ones in the laptop. Many modern laptops usually have 2 "SO-DIMM" RAM slots. These laptop RAM modules are (much) smaller than those used in bigger desktop PCs. And these laptop slots can (normally) be accessed very easily, by unscrewing a plastic cover. 

You would hence have to unscrew the cover, remove all (!) of the old RAM modules, and insert the new ones. Keep in mind too that new RAM module often come in "sets", so for example, you have 2 x 4GB sets. And you are supposed to use both of these together.

Keep us posted ! Smile 
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top