Old ® Games4theworld Forum / Archive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

External Hard Drive ISSUE. [SOLVED]

View previous topic View next topic Go down

External Hard Drive ISSUE. [SOLVED] Empty External Hard Drive ISSUE. [SOLVED]

Post by Guest Sun 28 Sep 2014, 17:58

i have this external drive with 300 GB of space remaining and i've been using it for almost a year now it was working perfectly fine until now it says you have to format it in order to use it it has never appeared before i don't want to lose my data....

Back to top Go down

External Hard Drive ISSUE. [SOLVED] Empty Re: External Hard Drive ISSUE. [SOLVED]

Post by The_gh0stm4n Sun 28 Sep 2014, 18:55

arrnearrno wrote:i have this external drive with 300 GB of space remaining and i've been using it for almost a year now it was working perfectly fine until now it says you have to format it in order to use it it has never appeared before i don't want to lose my data....

Hey arrnearrno,

I'm afraid there is no 'perfect' solution to this, but first of all, try to see if you can access or retrieve at least some of your data. See this here, for example:

http://www.wondershare.net/ad/data-recovery/

I'm sure there are many other "recovery" tools, though. Download and install that one. Using the program should be self-explanatory.

As for the hard-drive itself, did you accidentally 'do' something with it ? Like drop it down ? And depending on where you live, you might still have warranty on that hard-drive, although if they see that you did something which is 'not allowed', it will void your warranty.

Good luck though, and keep us posted, if you want ! Smile  
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n
G4TW RETIRED Forum Gatekeeper

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

External Hard Drive ISSUE. [SOLVED] Empty Re: External Hard Drive ISSUE. [SOLVED]

Post by Guest Sun 28 Sep 2014, 18:58

nope i did not drop it Smile and i will definately give this a try and let you know thankyou.

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Sun 28 Sep 2014, 19:04

arrnearrno wrote:nope i did not drop it Smile and i will definately give this a try and let you know thankyou.

Out of interest: do you hear any "spinning" sounds from inside the hard-drive ? If you can still hear sounds, at least it doesn't (necessarily) mean any hardware damage - yet. My internal HDD from my main desktop stopped making sounds, and I managed to backup most of my data, before the total breakdown of the drive.

Another thing is this: some IT businesses/firms specialize in recovering data in cases like that. However, for the average person, it's probably not worth the hassle (since these services tend to charge quite a lot). Unless the data you are trying to recover is of really HUGE importance (legal reasons, important data for school/work, etc.) it's not worth the money, I guess.

But yes, do keep us posted ! Smile  
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 28 Sep 2014, 19:07

nope it never made spinning sounds and it still doesn't

//EDIT

the software doesn't open tho...

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Sun 28 Sep 2014, 19:14

arrnearrno wrote:nope it never made spinning sounds and it still doesn't

Usually, the sound of such hard-drives 'at work' isn't that loud, but OK. Thing is, if you have reason to believe there is some sort of hardware damage, then your chances of recovering anything have just dropped strongly...

In which case, there are these aforementioned IT businesses, or you just 'start over'. 

If you have the possibility, really save up for TWO such hard-drives, in the future. As for me, I always tried saving/backing up my data in AT LEAST two different places. It's more work, sure, but you certainly won't regret it. Smile  

//EDIT

arrnearrno wrote:the software doesn't open tho...

Did you choose 'free trial' ? The software 'opens' for me, with no problems...
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 29 Sep 2014, 10:06

i'll check again and yes i did

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 29 Sep 2014, 16:31

Hello,

Can you clear this to me.
Is your computer can read your External Hard Drive, but you can't use it because you must format it first?
Or
Is your computer can't totally read your External Hard Drive?

If your problem is like my second question, I've encountered a problem like that. My computer suddenly can't read my External Hard Drive totally. It doesn't have sound at all. My friend asks me to try to change this thing:
External Hard Drive ISSUE. [SOLVED] 81qnhg10

So I bought a new HDD enclosure that has that thing (like this: http://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-2-5-Inch-External-Aluminum-Enclosure/dp/B00E362W9O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1411999855&sr=8-1&keywords=hdd+enclosure ), And I put my HDD there, and it worked again!

If your problem is like my problem also. You can give it try. It's cheaper than new External Hard Drive. Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Mon 29 Sep 2014, 19:55

arrnearrno wrote:i'll check again and yes i did

Yes, cezra brought up another perspective (and possibility) on this issue. Smile  You could try buying such a case and put your HDD in there, however, you may want to try first if the cable connection to your external drive is OK. Try moving the cable parts (especially those near the plugs !) gently, and see if anything changes. Also, plug the cables out, and then properly back in. Try moving again, gently. 

If it doesn't work, you can also let a computer shop do that for you; these HDD/SSD casings aren't so expensive, and they can also put your hard-drive into the casing for you, too.

However, for now, I would certainly try focussing on recovering at least some of your data. The piece of software I showed you should just work fine, but we can also check for other programs (there are lots of them).

Do keep us posted !
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 29 Sep 2014, 20:02

THANKYOU both carlos the wondershare worked and cezra31 it's the first one i just recovered all of my data tho thankyou both Very Happy Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Mon 29 Sep 2014, 20:05

arrnearrno wrote:THANKYOU both carlos the wondershare worked and cezra31 it's the first one i just recovered all of my data tho thankyou both Very Happy Smile

So you managed to recover the data ? Did you save it already, to another place then ? Smile  If so, do you need more assistance with anything, or can I close the thread ?

//EDIT

Since the topic appears to be resolved now, I'll close it. Feel free to open a new thread whenever you like, if you have any more questions. Until then, have fun ! Very Happy 
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top