Old ® Games4theworld Forum / Archive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Regarding password safety.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Regarding password safety. Empty Regarding password safety.

Post by The_gh0stm4n Sun 07 Jun 2015, 22:59

Look at that (sooooooo cute Razz ):

Regarding password safety. Vpzd0p10

Someone seemingly tried using the "I forgot my password"-function at the Origin log-in prompt. Of course, for that to work one would also need to have access to my e-mail account too.

Now that I come to think of it again, password safety is something we all should pay much more attention do. Keep different passwords for your e-mail/social media/gaming/whatnot accounts, make sure the passwords are somewhat complex, and...keep them safe ! 

It would also be a good idea to change those passwords regularly. Do you also have your "fair share" of password (horror) stories ? Don't let it happen ! Luckily, so far I myself experienced nothing really catastrophic. What about you ?

Last edited by Carlos on Sun 07 Jun 2015, 23:06; edited 1 time in total
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n
G4TW RETIRED Forum Gatekeeper

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

Regarding password safety. Empty Re: Regarding password safety.

Post by Sim Architect Sun 07 Jun 2015, 23:04

Yes, password safety is everything! You might lose your job if someone does something wrong with your password at work, or you might lost a bunch of money and so on.

I never had that problem, but I admit that the warning is always welcome to remember us to change our old ones (and not keep the same patterns either). Some people say that it's safer to have a hard copy of your password list than a digital one, what do you think about it?

I feel it is too hard to safely hide a hard copied password list anywhere, unless you code it somehow. Memorizing different ones is almost impossible for most mortals, specially those passwords that we did not assign ourselves, like some bank passwords etc...

About stories... Well, I know of many people who lost their jobs at work, and a few even went to prison, because their password was stolen (or guessed, or even worse, SHARED)!

Let's have some warning tea, think and talk about it!

Warning: TEA Warning: TEA
Sim Architect
Sim Architect
G4TW HONORARY Moderator
The Gray Eminence :p
G4TW HONORARY Moderator The Gray Eminence :p

Windows version :
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : Plants vs Zombies, The Sims 3, Cities Skylines, The Sims 4

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun 07 Jun 2015, 23:38

Hi there,

Password safety is indeed very important nowadays.
I started using a password manager a while back, after someone recommended it to me. I was very sceptic about those managers at first, but I have to say... It's pretty freaking awesome and VERY easy to use.

I might even create a tutorial for it somewhere in the future... Although there are already so many great tutorials out there...
Admin
Admin
G4TW RETIRED Adminator
GΛMΣ MΛƧƬΣЯ / Forum Founder
G4TW RETIRED Adminator GΛMΣ MΛƧƬΣЯ / Forum Founder

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sim Architect Sun 07 Jun 2015, 23:46

Admin wrote:Hi there,

I started using a password manager a while back, after someone recommended it to me. I was very sceptic about those managers at first, but I have to say... It's pretty freaking awesome and VERY easy to use.

I might even create a tutorial for it somewhere in the future... Although there are already so many great tutorials out there...
Which password manager do you use? Isn't it a bit concerning to install an app that is designed to maintain passwords, I mean, aren't you a bit worried the developer might be stealing your info "just in case" they want it (I know that Microsoft and Google have everything we store in our windows/android devices, but they have info on "almost everybody" so far, including far richest/targetty people than us)?

Tea 1 Tea 1
Sim Architect
Sim Architect
G4TW HONORARY Moderator

Windows version :
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Sun 07 Jun 2015, 23:46

Sim Architect wrote:Yes, password safety is everything! You might lose your job if someone does something wrong with your password at work, or you might lost a bunch of money and so on.

I never had that problem, but I admit that the warning is always welcome to remember us to change our old ones (and not keep the same patterns either). Some people say that it's safer to have a hard copy of your password list than a digital one, what do you think about it?

I feel it is too hard to safely hide a hard copied password list anywhere, unless you code it somehow. Memorizing different ones is almost impossible for most mortals, specially those passwords that we did not assign ourselves, like some bank passwords etc...

About stories... Well, I know of many people who lost their jobs at work, and a few even went to prison, because their password was stolen (or guessed, or even worse, SHARED)!

Let's have some warning tea, think and talk about it!

Warning: TEA Warning: TEA

Admin wrote:Hi there,

The thing with hard copies/handwritten notes is that you must have the discipline to constantly update the notes, and also destroy old notes too.

So far, I can actually memorize all my passwords, though the actual number of passwords that I most commonly use is about half a dozen ?

I never used those password managers myself, but maybe I'll give it a try sometime. Very Happy 

P.S. Sorry for not editing the opening picture, though...my Origin username is also on one or two other screenshots here, and in another thread where the OP asked for users to share their ID's, I also posted the username. But OK. 

alien   Warning: TEA
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon 08 Jun 2015, 00:17

Sim Architect wrote:Which password manager do you use? Isn't it a bit concerning to install an app that is designed to maintain passwords, I mean, aren't you a bit worried the developer might be stealing your info "just in case" they want it (I know that Microsoft and Google have everything we store in our windows/android devices, but they have info on "almost everybody" so far, including far richest/targetty people than us)?
I use KeePass, which can be found here: http://keepass.info/download.html (Use the "Professional Edition", installer)
And no, the password manager is the least of my concerns... The password database is heavily encrypted and you can even check options that extremely slow down brute-force attacks, making them pretty much useless. (E.g. if a brute-force software can only try 100 passwords every second, it's pretty much useless and impossible to brute-force the file)

Anyway, that's the reason I don't trust Google at all. They're making you sign up for all their services and give all your personal information. Behind the scenes they are linking all this information from their different services and making a profile specifically for you. Yes, they even save your search queries. You're welcome. Smile

Governments (read: NSA) might deliberately force companies to code backdoors in their software. But really... would they be interested in my data? I think they have bigger things to worry about, like terrorism.

Carlos wrote:P.S. Sorry for not editing the opening picture, though...my Origin username is also on one or two other screenshots here, and in another thread where the OP asked for users to share their ID's, I also posted the username. But OK.
Sorry, that was my bad! Why.
Admin
Admin
G4TW RETIRED Adminator

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sim Architect Mon 08 Jun 2015, 00:50

Admin wrote:
Sim Architect wrote:Which password manager do you use? Isn't it a bit concerning to install an app that is designed to maintain passwords, I mean, aren't you a bit worried the developer might be stealing your info "just in case" they want it (I know that Microsoft and Google have everything we store in our windows/android devices, but they have info on "almost everybody" so far, including far richest/targetty people than us)?
I use KeePass, which can be found here: http://keepass.info/download.html (Use the "Professional Edition", installer)
And no, the password manager is the least of my concerns... The password database is heavily encrypted and you can even check options that extremely slow down brute-force attacks, making them pretty much useless. (E.g. if a brute-force software can only try 100 passwords every second, it's pretty much useless and impossible to brute-force the file)

Anyway, that's the reason I don't trust Google at all. They're making you sign up for all their services and give all your personal information. Behind the scenes they are linking all this information from their different services and making a profile specifically for you. Yes, they even save your search queries. You're welcome. Smile

Governments (read: NSA) might deliberately force companies to code backdoors in their software. But really... would they be interested in my data? I think they have bigger things to worry about, like terrorism.

Carlos wrote:P.S. Sorry for not editing the opening picture, though...my Origin username is also on one or two other screenshots here, and in another thread where the OP asked for users to share their ID's, I also posted the username. But OK.
Sorry, that was my bad! Why.
Maybe I should install something like that on my old Palm Treo (if I find it) that doesn't have a sim cart (audio is broken), neither wifi (and there's no bluetooth network with internet access around, he he he), and keep my passwords there Very Happy

Glad to see your suggested program is Open Source (I knew you'd be wise), I will think seriously about trying it.

You're right, large companies don't have that kind of interest, but if we get an app from a small developer for that purpose, we'd never know, that's why I love the fact the app you use is open source, and I guess lots of people looked into it already, so it must be "safe"...

All Hail Carlos!
Sim Architect
Sim Architect
G4TW HONORARY Moderator

Windows version :
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by coolcandy3001 Mon 08 Jun 2015, 00:57

I have 4 different passwords, all similar but different, all at least containing an @, ! or &.
I also change them once every few months :3

After being hacked on everything a while back I began to use stronger passwords.
coolcandy3001
coolcandy3001
G4TW RETIRED Helper / VIP
Discharged with Honors
G4TW RETIRED Helper / VIP Discharged with Honors

Windows version :
  • Windows 8

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : Sims, Animal Crossing WW & NL, Tomodachi Life, Sonic Adventure 2, The Dog Island, Minecraft, Terraria & *Many more*

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sim Architect Mon 08 Jun 2015, 01:14

coolcandy3001 wrote:I have 4 different passwords, all similar but different, all at least containing an @, ! or &.
I also change them once every few months :3

After being hacked on everything a while back I began to use stronger passwords.
You just gave some info to your enemies if they want to use brute force, ha ha ha...

It's really hard to have a ton of passwords without a password management tool, book, piece of paper etc...

Warning: TEA Warning: TEA Warning: TEA Warning: TEA
Sim Architect
Sim Architect
G4TW HONORARY Moderator

Windows version :
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 08 Jun 2015, 02:17

If someone thought they'd hurt me by stealing my Origin account, then they'd obviously lack the necessary IQ to pull it off even if I were to tell them my password.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sim Architect Mon 08 Jun 2015, 03:09

Anarchy wrote:If someone thought they'd hurt me by stealing my Origin account, then they'd obviously lack the necessary IQ to pull it off even if I were to tell them my password.
What he said.
Sim Architect
Sim Architect
G4TW HONORARY Moderator

Windows version :
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon 08 Jun 2015, 21:55

Sim Architect wrote:Maybe I should install something like that on my old Palm Treo (if I find it) that doesn't have a sim cart (audio is broken), neither wifi (and there's no bluetooth network with internet access around, he he he), and keep my passwords there Very Happy

Glad to see your suggested program is Open Source (I knew you'd be wise), I will think seriously about trying it.

You're right, large companies don't have that kind of interest, but if we get an app from a small developer for that purpose, we'd never know, that's why I love the fact the app you use is open source, and I guess lots of people looked into it already, so it must be "safe"...
KeePass is actually pretty popular. It has all kinds of security features implanted. It's too awesome to explain all of it. But one of the awesome features is of course the auto-type. It'll automatically log you in with the correct username and password, after using a keyboard shortcut. And you can use an option that uses different methods of typing your password, to confuse keyloggers. For example, it'll paste a part of your password, type a few characters somewhere randomly in your password, then paste another part, etc. That way it's almost impossible to figure out the used password (and even username) by using a keylogger.

It's a very neat piece of program, and very easy to use.

And hey, I was very sceptical about password managers, so if I think it's cool...
Admin
Admin
G4TW RETIRED Adminator

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sim Architect Mon 08 Jun 2015, 22:10

Admin wrote:
Sim Architect wrote:Maybe I should install something like that on my old Palm Treo (if I find it) that doesn't have a sim cart (audio is broken), neither wifi (and there's no bluetooth network with internet access around, he he he), and keep my passwords there Very Happy

KeePass is actually pretty popular. It has all kinds of security features implanted. It's too awesome to explain all of it. But one of the awesome features is of course the auto-type. It'll automatically log you in with the correct username and password, after using a keyboard shortcut. And you can use an option that uses different methods of typing your password, to confuse keyloggers. For example, it'll paste a part of your password, type a few characters somewhere randomly in your password, then paste another part, etc. That way it's almost impossible to figure out the used password (and even username) by using a keylogger.

It's a very neat piece of program, and very easy to use.

And hey, I was very sceptical about password managers, so if I think it's cool...
That sounds fantastic!!!

If it has your seal of approval, it is more than good for me, thanks a lot for sharing the info!!!

Aadmien liekesss!

Let's have more tea, cake and enjoy one extra layer of protection against key loggers and curious people!

Tea 1 Tea 1
Sim Architect
Sim Architect
G4TW HONORARY Moderator

Windows version :
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon 08 Jun 2015, 23:11

Sim Architect wrote:
If it has your seal of approval, it is more than good for me, thanks a lot for sharing the info!!!
I'm sure it has Lady's appr...-

ElDi's Seal

Oh yeah, there we go.
Admin
Admin
G4TW RETIRED Adminator

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top