Old ® Games4theworld Forum / Archive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How to fix red X icon on the notification bar?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

How to fix red X icon on the notification bar? Empty How to fix red X icon on the notification bar?

Post by Guest Thu 18 Jun 2015, 15:42

Hey, guys. I desperately need your help. So, last night my laptop is doing good and I wasn't experiencing problems not until I restart my laptop and it says "Update then restart" in the power button. It didn't update tho because there's an error then the moment I turned it on, I saw the red X icon on the speaker icon, on the networks icon, and even the Action center in the notification area. I tried to run a system restore but it won't run it and there's always an error. I tried everything especially the system restore and I even tried to format it, I even tried to refresh but there's always an error.

Please help me.

Update:

I tried resetting it today but there's an error now I can't even access to my laptop anymore like once I try turning it on, it always get an error and asks me to restart it but it doesn't make any difference. Oh my God. What is happening to my laptop?

Back to top Go down

How to fix red X icon on the notification bar? Empty Re: How to fix red X icon on the notification bar?

Post by The_gh0stm4n Fri 19 Jun 2015, 02:32

thatdoggonegirl wrote:Hey, guys. I desperately need your help. So, last night my laptop is doing good and I wasn't experiencing problems not until I restart my laptop and it says "Update then restart" in the power button. It didn't update tho because there's an error then the moment I turned it on, I saw the red X icon on the speaker icon, on the networks icon, and even the Action center in the notification area. I tried to run a system restore but it won't run it and there's always an error. I tried everything especially the system restore and I even tried to format it, I even tried to refresh but there's always an error.

Please help me.

Update:

I tried resetting it today but there's an error now I can't even access to my laptop anymore like once I try turning it on, it always get an error and asks me to restart it but it doesn't make any difference. Oh my God. What is happening to my laptop?

Hello,

Can you enter the BIOS when turning the computer on ? If so, please edit the settings so that the computer will boot from the CD/DVD drive. Insert your Windows 8 DVD, and re-install Windows. 

I honestly don't know what might have happened in your case, but I myself got an error once with Windows 8, in which I couldn't connect to the internet anymore. It turned out to be a glitch with Windows 8, caused by a Windows update. Had to do a system restore (which removed all my installed programs, but kept the personal files).

Sorry, but that's all I can tell
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n
G4TW RETIRED Forum Gatekeeper

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

How to fix red X icon on the notification bar? Empty Re: How to fix red X icon on the notification bar?

Post by Guest Fri 19 Jun 2015, 11:57

Carlos wrote:
thatdoggonegirl wrote:Hey, guys. I desperately need your help. So, last night my laptop is doing good and I wasn't experiencing problems not until I restart my laptop and it says "Update then restart" in the power button. It didn't update tho because there's an error then the moment I turned it on, I saw the red X icon on the speaker icon, on the networks icon, and even the Action center in the notification area. I tried to run a system restore but it won't run it and there's always an error. I tried everything especially the system restore and I even tried to format it, I even tried to refresh but there's always an error.

Please help me.

Update:

Hello,

Can you enter the BIOS when turning the computer on ? If so, please edit the settings so that the computer will boot from the CD/DVD drive. Insert your Windows 8 DVD, and re-install Windows. 

I honestly don't know what might have happened in your case, but I myself got an error once with Windows 8, in which I couldn't connect to the internet anymore. It turned out to be a glitch with Windows 8, caused by a Windows update. Had to do a system restore (which removed all my installed programs, but kept the personal files).

Sorry, but that's all I can tell

I fixed my problem last night and it took like 6 hours to format my HDD (I had to and I backed up my files, so, no worries) and re-install Windows 8. 

That's what happened to me too! Wth! I updated my Windows 8 when I restarted it there was an error and then the RED X appeared on my network connection which led me to re-installing Windows 8. 

I managed to fix my problem and it's okay again. I'm just wondering if you're still updating your Windows 8? I'm too anxious to update mine because of what happened.

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri 19 Jun 2015, 12:12

Hi there,

It's hard to tell what is causing the issue, since we're missing a lot of background information. If you activated your copy of W8.1 correctly, there shouldn't technically be any update issues. (At most it'll fail one or two updates)

By the way, since you're on a laptop, make sure to download all your laptop drivers too!
Admin
Admin
G4TW RETIRED Adminator
GΛMΣ MΛƧƬΣЯ / Forum Founder
G4TW RETIRED Adminator GΛMΣ MΛƧƬΣЯ / Forum Founder

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 19 Jun 2015, 17:42

Admin wrote:Hi there,

It's hard to tell what is causing the issue, since we're missing a lot of background information. If you activated your copy of W8.1 correctly, there shouldn't technically be any update issues. (At most it'll fail one or two updates)

By the way, since you're on a laptop, make sure to download all your laptop drivers too!

All right. I just made a restore point so, just in case, the updates will mess up my laptop again, I'll just do the system restore.

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri 19 Jun 2015, 21:19

Hi there,

That's a good idea too! And always have a backup of your important data, of course. Very Happy

Assuming your issue is solved for now; is there anything else we can currently help you with?
Admin
Admin
G4TW RETIRED Adminator

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Sat 20 Jun 2015, 03:00

thatdoggonegirl wrote:
I fixed my problem last night and it took like 6 hours to format my HDD (I had to and I backed up my files, so, no worries) and re-install Windows 8. 

That's what happened to me too! Wth! I updated my Windows 8 when I restarted it there was an error and then the RED X appeared on my network connection which led me to re-installing Windows 8. 

I managed to fix my problem and it's okay again. I'm just wondering if you're still updating your Windows 8? I'm too anxious to update mine because of what happened.

I'm honestly unsure what to suggest. I myself only use Windows 8 for "testing purposes". I installed Windows 8 on a backup hard-drive, and whenever I want to use Windows 8, I just switch the hard-drives on my main desktop machine. Most of the time I work with Windows 7, which I still find the best Windows ever.

Very embarassing from Micro$oft, that a Windows update can break the system totally.

Maybe for now it would be better if you didn't update the game, but I don't know...
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 20 Jun 2015, 14:30

Admin wrote:Hi there,

That's a good idea too! And always have a backup of your important data, of course. Very Happy

Assuming your issue is solved for now; is there anything else we can currently help you with?

I'm not experiencing any problems, for now. Razz Just some questions tho. You guys can mark this as solved.

I noticed that Windows 8 on my laptop is buggy, is it the Windows 8 fault? Lmao.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 20 Jun 2015, 14:32

Carlos wrote:
thatdoggonegirl wrote:

I'm honestly unsure what to suggest. I myself only use Windows 8 for "testing purposes". I installed Windows 8 on a backup hard-drive, and whenever I want to use Windows 8, I just switch the hard-drives on my main desktop machine. Most of the time I work with Windows 7, which I still find the best Windows ever.

Very embarassing from Micro$oft, that a Windows update can break the system totally.

Maybe for now it would be better if you didn't update the game, but I don't know...

Oh, all right. Now, I'm wondering if there'll be a Windows 10 Upgrade Icon going to appear in the notifications bar?

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Tue 23 Jun 2015, 02:12

I also got my Windows 8 from G4TW here, and it's not buggy at all, so I'm unsure. And no, I don't think you'll get a notification about Windows 10 on your system. Smile 
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue 23 Jun 2015, 14:21

Why not? For as far as I know, the icon is forcing itself on all Windows systems.
They are so persistent and pushy, that the icon even re-appears after a system restart after you've hidden it.
Admin
Admin
G4TW RETIRED Adminator

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 25 Jun 2015, 15:47

It appeared on my laptop. Wow. I just installed all the updates until the Windows 10 Upgrade Icon appeared on my notifications bar. Wow! You guys should try it. I already reserved mine. Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top