Old ® Games4theworld Forum / Archive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Origin data leak.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Origin data leak. Empty Origin data leak.

Post by The_gh0stm4n Tue 20 Oct 2015, 04:40

So I just saw this:
http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Origin-Accounts-Reportedly-Hacked-93157.html

And (luckily) found my account still intact, and changed my password. Even though the reports say "only account names from A to F have been compromised", it's best to double-check this ASAP. I suggest those of you having an Origin account all do the same.  Exclamation 

I also noticed lately when trying to play online on Origin, that I often get disconnected from the servers; some people are speculating that these connection problems are due to hackers attempting to DDOS' the Origin servers...

I would have expected  - by now - an e-mail of sorts from Origin, informing about these developments, and maybe including a reminder to change passwords, but alright. 

//EDIT

OK, EA is stating that "it wasn't a hack at all"...
http://www.ibtimes.com/ea-games-denies-hack-you-should-probably-change-your-password-anyway-2146186

WhatDidUJustCallMe?
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n
G4TW RETIRED Forum Gatekeeper

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

Origin data leak. Empty Re: Origin data leak.

Post by Sim Architect Tue 20 Oct 2015, 09:10

OMG! Thanks for the warning, I am going to check all my accounts right now!
Sim Architect
Sim Architect
G4TW HONORARY Moderator
The Gray Eminence :p
G4TW HONORARY Moderator The Gray Eminence :p

Windows version :
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : Plants vs Zombies, The Sims 3, Cities Skylines, The Sims 4

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 21 Oct 2015, 09:18

Another day, another "hack". Been a Steam user for 9 years now, I got used to it.

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Thu 22 Oct 2015, 21:45

Yep, I guess all we can do (to minimize the risks) is to change passwords somewhat regularly, and use complex passwords.

The PR-stunt by EA ("it was not a hack after all") tells a lot. But that shouldn't be a surprise either.
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 23 Oct 2015, 01:12

Carlos wrote:The PR-stunt by EA ("it was not a hack after all") tells a lot. But that shouldn't be a surprise either.

Damage control*. And we don't know they're lying.

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Fri 23 Oct 2015, 01:55

Anarchy wrote:
Damage control*. And we don't know they're lying.

Prior to writing the previous post (should have mentioned it before), I actually did some 'digging around' and the alleged source that contained the leaked data still shows up in the Google results, but when you actually visit the site, it says the page was removed. Interestingly, after more digging around that same site contained "leaked data" from earlier periods.

Whatever may have been leaked most recently, EA made arrangements to have that particular data taken down. But EA still did not bother to remove the other (older !!) leaks. Maybe the recent events weren't hacks indeed; they may have thought "let's just assume the newest leaked data is real and close it down pre-emptively...". That's of course no proof of anything; it's not more than an indicator. 

But I find it still looks fishy. You're right though that outsiders can't tell for sure. Point for you. 

I tip my fedora.
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sim Architect Fri 23 Oct 2015, 10:24

That is just terrible, since most of people (at least the ones I know) use the same password "almost everywhere" they can, so people with a simple "EA password" may open your email, bank account etc.

I can't even deny that I do that to a certain point, even knowing it's irresponsible of me, that's how lazy people are (including my very self Sad)

Tea 1 Tea 1 Tea 1 Tea 1
Sim Architect
Sim Architect
G4TW HONORARY Moderator
The Gray Eminence :p
G4TW HONORARY Moderator The Gray Eminence :p

Windows version :
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : Plants vs Zombies, The Sims 3, Cities Skylines, The Sims 4

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top