Old ® Games4theworld Forum / Archive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fixes - plea to Admins/Mods. [CLOSED]

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Fixes - plea to Admins/Mods. [CLOSED] Empty Fixes - plea to Admins/Mods. [CLOSED]

Post by Guest Fri 22 Jul 2016, 23:06

Although I am a member of this site for a longer period, it's only for the last couple of weeks that I frequently visit this site.
The first thing I noticed was the term "fixes".
You have fixes, ultimate fixes, hot fixes, new fixes, final fixes and God knows what other fixes.
Members do no longer know which fix is the one they require.

Even updates like Sims 4 1.20.60.2010 are called "new fixes".
No ! , stop calling this fixes, they are additional downloads in the same region as Get to Work and Get Together.

Back to top Go down

Fixes - plea to Admins/Mods. [CLOSED] Empty Re: Fixes - plea to Admins/Mods. [CLOSED]

Post by The_gh0stm4n Fri 22 Jul 2016, 23:29

Tarac wrote:Although I am a member of this site for a longer period, it's only for the last couple of weeks that I frequently visit this site.
The first thing I noticed was the term "fixes".
You have fixes, ultimate fixes, hot fixes, new fixes, final fixes and God knows what other fixes.
Members do no longer know which fix is the one they require.

Even updates like Sims 4 1.20.60.2010 are called "new fixes".
No ! , stop calling this fixes, they are additional downloads in the same region as Get to Work and Get Together.

//MOVED

Hello @Tarac again,

Topic moved to the Suggestion box. Smile  The term "Ultimate fix" originated back then, in the context of The Sims 3, in that the NoCD-files not only disabled the CD check but also allowed you to patch the Sims 3 games, while having these cracked executables inside the game install directory (whereas normally you would have required the original .exe files in order to patch the game).

Fast forward the time, it was decided that the term Ultimate fix is continued for TS4 updates, due to tradition I guess ?

I personally see no confusion whatsoever with the various usages of the term "fix", and its derivations. However, I acknowledge that it could be problematic in cases where users are not familiar enough with the English language, although even that possibility is very far-fetched. 

Another aspect: let's say we ditch the term Ultimate fix and use something more "neutral". People will still ask about it and use the old term, because it has become so closely associated with G4TW the past few years. Would it be less problematic for you, if the term was used by normal users and G4TW visitors after that, and if so, why ? What would be the difference between the staff using the term, and regular users utilizing it ?

While I agree the suggestion is interesting from a theoretical standpoint, I personally find it very dubious too. And if we went forward with that, where is it going to lead ? Would that mean I am "not allowed" anymore to use the word "fix", whenever I e.g. post a tutorial or something ? 

As with all other users, feel free to wait for @fsociety's and @Edin ElDi's take on this.
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n
G4TW RETIRED Forum Gatekeeper

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

Fixes - plea to Admins/Mods. [CLOSED] Empty Re: Fixes - plea to Admins/Mods. [CLOSED]

Post by ☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠ Sat 23 Jul 2016, 13:52

Hello,

Actually @the_gh0stm4n has explained it pretty accurately. While they are no longer really "fixes", the term has become associated with G4TW and as such, yes, we will probably keep calling it fixes.

I don't think there is that much confusion to be honest, as long as users start with either one of the "Must Read" topics on top of the home page, they should know what to use since the appropriate links are in those topics.

If you have specific examples of fixes that might cause confusion, we would be happy to have a look and possibly rephrase the text in the topic. 

I understand that you may feel that "fix" is no longer an appropriate term, as mentioned in your reply to one of the topics in the Mac section. But yes, it has indeed become a tradition and we're not very likely to change our minds about that specific case.

Thank you for your feedback though Smile
☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠
☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠
G4TW SUPER Adminatrix
First Lady / Commander-In-Chief
G4TW SUPER Adminatrix First Lady / Commander-In-Chief

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 23 Jul 2016, 14:04

I appreciate your and The_ghOstm4n's reply. The term fix is widely used on G4TW.
However, I can still not understand why the new update 1.20.60.1020 is treated as a fix.
You don't call Get to Work or Get Together a fix, so why is this addition of Romantic Garden + Moviestuff + Kidsroom called a fix ?

In my view we have in the Sims 4 sofar:
Basic Game + 3 add-ons Get to Work, Get Together and update 1.20.60.1020.

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Sat 23 Jul 2016, 20:00

If the concern is "just" about those TS4 updates, then OK, let's see. Although one could argue that the name "fix" is still justified in the sense that if people e.g. encounter anti-virus problems, re-applying these updates often fixes that issue.

How does "The Sims 4 [game version] re-pack out now" sound ?
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 23 Jul 2016, 20:27

The_gh0stm4n wrote:If the concern is "just" about those TS4 updates, then OK, let's see. Although one could argue that the name "fix" is still justified in the sense that if people e.g. encounter anti-virus problems, re-applying these updates often fixes that issue.

How does "The Sims 4 [game version] re-pack out now" sound ?

The Sims 4 repack is an already existing torrent. The one you most probably extracted update 1.20.60.1020 from (at least I did).
Why not simply Update 1.20 ?

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Sat 23 Jul 2016, 20:54

Tarac wrote:Why not simply Update 1.20 ?

I personally would rather prefer something along the lines of "(G4TW) re-pack", even if existing torrents (by other uploaders) may have the same name. 

"Update 1.20"...my concern with that is it could confuse people who may find their way here via Google. Because it's not about the the legit game on here; it's about the cracked ones. 

I think at that point it's best to wait for @fsociety's opinion. Smile
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 23 Jul 2016, 21:22

The majority here came via Google and the G4TW downloads and now Google is your greatest fear ?

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Sun 24 Jul 2016, 05:50

Tarac wrote:The majority here came via Google and the G4TW downloads and now Google is your greatest fear ?

My previous message was phrased unluckily I admit, but no, what I actually wanted to say was that people will believe these forum announcements (of new TS4 releases on G4TW) are related to EA, if we chose a generic name such as TS4 update [version number] out now. Which in turn can cause some confusion and possibly some unwanted attention down the road, too. How people find their way here really was not the point of my comment, it was more about clarification of certain keywords.

Related to that, there are very specific reasons we put the following in the "pre-amble" of the new forum rules. That is just a side-note though.
https://games4theworld.forumotion.com/t22990-forum-rules#153250

G4TW wrote:Games4theworld is neither affiliated with, nor endorsed by any video game or computer software publisher.

Either way, using a slightly different term such as "Ultimate fix" or even "G4TW repack" should help draw a clear line. Sure, some people will still believe the site here is somewhat related to EA, but then, you can't always come up with perfect solutions, can you ?
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 24 Jul 2016, 10:04

After reading YOUR PAGE I must admit that the tradition of Ultimate Fixes cannot easily be broken. Most probably it would require rewriting multiple pages on the forum and/or downloadpages.
So, leave it as it is. Your members are used to it now.
In my view it is still a bit confusing, but never mind. Maybe a change in name when Dine Out is cracked.

Back to top Go down

Post by ☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠ Sun 24 Jul 2016, 10:12

Or maybe you'll get used to it Wink

Thanks again for the feedback, topic closed.
☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠
☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠
G4TW SUPER Adminatrix
First Lady / Commander-In-Chief
G4TW SUPER Adminatrix First Lady / Commander-In-Chief

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Tue 02 Aug 2016, 06:49

Looking again at this topic, a few other conclusive things can be said.

One, it would be highly unpractical to go back and literally purge (almost?) everything that contains the word "fixes" in it. This here is a very nice illustration of an idea that in theory sounds interesting, but in practice not really feasible.

But secondly, I also believe that regardless of one's English-language proficiency, a certain minimum amount of common sense should be expected from users. Meaning, that they should be capable of distinguishing between files that are there to correct technical problems (fixes) and general topics that aim to troubleshoot problem areas (which we also often call fixes). You must not or should not judge content merely by looking at thread titles. While I think thread titles are indeed important and very often underestimated by both regular users and staff across many forums, they are ultimately only a means and not an end in themselves. Now...you could point out something along the lines of well, most people don't have common sense. But then, merely replacing one generic term with another isn't going to solve that issue. Say we used the term "solution" instead of "fixes" all the time, would that be less confusing for people ? I doubt it. And if we didn't use generic terms, say, by mixing it up with a portfolio of different alternative expressions (fix, patch, repack, solution, possibility, hint, correction, and whatnot), it definitely would not help either here. If anything, that would actually have potential, in my opinion, to be confusing.

And in the event people are indeed irritated about the word "fixes", in both typical cases (little patches + general troubleshooting topics), the ultimate aim is to solve problems. And in this respect, I think we are doing a good job. Also, we do pay attention of structuring and phrasing the messages here appropriately, so as to lessen the confusion as much as possible.

As far as my own personal conduct here goes, I will attempt to be a little bit more mindful about your suggestion, but we are not going to rewrite entire history books, @Tarac, sorry.
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top