Old ® Games4theworld Forum / Archive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

About SSD.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

About SSD. Empty About SSD.

Post by Guest Sun 06 Nov 2016, 23:13

So,  soon I will receive a new laptop, in exchange for giving old one Smile specs are good and just curious about Solid State drive.
why is it better than HDD? I Know boot time with HDD of windows 10 is approximaly 35 seconds and with SSD 5secs Very Happy I guess It's because of writting and reading speed, but.. will games such as sims 3( with yeah.. all these 1-60 store content, all SP + EP) and all other games load any better? Very Happy

Back to top Go down

About SSD. Empty Re: About SSD.

Post by Dracos66 Mon 07 Nov 2016, 02:50

SSD works very similar to a USB thumb drive. Instead of platters like a normal HDD the SSD uses solid state memory technology to read and write data faster. Typically an SSD is used to install and run the OS and the system will have a secondary HDD for programs, games, etc. to be installed and run from.

SSDs also don't need to be defragged as, like RAM, data is written and retrieved linearly instead of randomly.
Dracos66
Dracos66
G4TW RETIRED Moderator
Discharged with Honors

G4TW RETIRED Moderator Discharged with Honors

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows Vista
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : AOE I,II,III; Diablo ; Diablo II:LOD ; Spellforce ; Neverwinter Nights ; Planescape Torment ; Sims 1,2 ,3 & 4

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 07 Nov 2016, 03:38

I've had a SSD for 2 years now and it is a lot faster than a normal HD.  Start up is less than 10 seconds in Windows 10, Opening a word, excel file (with 12 page worksheet) or PDF file (with 200 pages) is less than 3 seconds (without opening word or excel first). Some things like Sims 2 and 3 still take forever to load. The main thing is the amount of write data which is another reason that Dracos66 said that a defrag is not needed, defragging will shorten the life of the SSD. A good SSD should last for about 75 TB of writing which is quite a lot (I've got 11 TB of write in two years) so I still have a ways to go before replacing. There are also some free programs to help monitor your SSD like Crystal disk Info which will tell you how much you wrote and the overall health of the drive. (It also works with regular HDs. And as I said above Sims 2 and 3 will still take forever to load.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 07 Nov 2016, 19:00

Well that's quite interesting, hm.. the only problem of SSD is of it's storage, yeap, I personally don't really remember, but SSD uses another way of care, it's called TRIM or something, although this is a little shameful that sims 2 and 3 loads no faster with SSD No shit, Sherlock. well thank you guys for replying Smile Guess have to be delicate on stuff I need and I don't need, because SSD of that Laptop I will soon receive is just 128GB, pretty low for myself, although I have lots of ways ( we all do9 to store important data, such as online drives, etc, so thanks Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 08 Nov 2016, 00:13

I'm not sure what you mean by TRIM. I have a HP laptop and when I got my SSD all I did is make a clone of my old HHD on the new SSD and swapped them. Everything worked fine. The prices for SSDs have come down a lot since I got mine if you can't afford a large SSD one alternative is if your new laptop is capable of having 2 HHDs use the SSD as the main one for startup and a HHD for storing files, pictures, videos, MP3s etc.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 08 Nov 2016, 23:47

That's quite reasonable... um.. here is about TRIM

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 09 Nov 2016, 01:00

Interesting article. This is the first I've heard of TRIM. When I got my SSD (Samsung) it came with Samsung's magician which you can set for maximum reliability of the SSD along with monitoring it's health and other things. I wonder if it's the same thing?
Thanks for the article.
Edit: I did some googling and found out some more info. I'm running windows 10 and TRIM was automatically set.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 09 Nov 2016, 23:09

Personally I am using IObit company software products, and there is so called Smart defrag, and this piece of software added long ago an button  near HDD, well it is really simple indeed, this setting requires to specify either selected drive is SSD or HDD, and for SSD - TRIM.. for HDD - Defrag, Attention: NEVER DEFRAG SSD, because defrag reduces longevity of SSD\

EDIT:  
Here is what I meant

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum