Old ® Games4theworld Forum / Archive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

About Community Spirit.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

About Community Spirit.  Empty About Community Spirit.

Post by The_gh0stm4n Mon 07 Nov 2016, 11:37

Hello,

No, this message is NOT about "The Sims 4: City Living", but I would still urge those of you interested in G4TW in general to read through this, if you have a few minutes.

First of all, I would like to thank all users again for keeping the Forums as well as the comments sections on Facebook nice and clean. I think we all can be proud of being part of an overall friendly and helpful community. Very Happy  As with real-life though, time and time again there are less pleasant things to at least think about, as has (possibly?) happened a few days ago.

Essentially, the event that inspired me to write this comment here was about a user asking for a possible ETA for the new TS4 DLC, and then a few other regular users replied something along the lines of "it can't be cracked so quickly" and "if you can't wait for G4TW, then just buy the game". Whereupon the original poster appeared to feel saddened and left the remark that the community was harsh.

For starters, I do want to emphasize again that comments or download links posted by random regular users (non-staff) do not necessarily have the approval from, or represent the official view of the actual Games4thewold team. You can identify team members by their colored usernames on the Forum here (red, blue, pink, purple, green and brown) as well as by their coresponding rank titles (Administrator, Moderator or Helper). If we deem something to be problematic, we will take some action, and if it's just to counsel the 'helpful' user suggesting to buy the TS4 DLC. In the aforementioned case, I did not consider the conversation problematic, hence I left it as it was. As fas as I am concerned the case is closed, however, it does bring into focus a larger problem: the lack of community spirit or helpfulness on the internet in general.

If you are a contributor or even a visitor to other Forums or websites where there is some form of interaction between registered users, you may have noticed it: some communities do not take kindly to outsiders and newbies. If someone asks a question, the likely answer is go use the search function. Maybe peppered with some insult. I believe, and I'm saying the following now in defence of these other communities actually, they may "just" be a victim of certain social or psychological phenomena. That can be stuff such as herd behavior (certain actions are amplified if done in a group with like-minded beings), or even Professional Deformation. Also - again kind of in defence of these other communities - the support they give to newbies may just be a byproduct of their regular work. So, e.g. a community that is highly specialized in some more technical aspects of a game or about general chit-chat may simply prioritize the giving of support to new users differently. 

As for Games4theworld, the main aspect of our work is the support. And yes, replies like "use the search function" are frowned upon here. In the event insults are used, a ban is very likely to follow, including the deletions of problematic comments. In our experience, kindly but still firmly telling users to be more helpful to newbies already does the trick. So no further moderation should be needed. It is a sad reality that certain habits from other sites are also finding their way onto Games4theworld. It is a phenomenon that is becoming more and more of a problem not just here, but overall on many other sites.

If people ask nicely and without offending others, we will try and help. And on here (almost) all questions are allowed and welcome. That there are still people who feel annoyed by certain repetitive patterns of questions from newbies, is unavoidable. If you feel that something is problematic and should be addressed by the team, feel free to send a private message on the Forum to a Moderator or Administrator. On Facebook, you can use the button "send message", to contact the team privately.

In general, we would like to ask you to be more mindful of fellow users, and bear with them please. Smile

That should do for now. Have any thoughts or comments about the topic of 'community spirit' ? Post a comment below if you like!

About Community Spirit.  Copy_o10

Last edited by The_gh0stm4n on Thu 07 May 2020, 17:13; edited 5 times in total
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n
G4TW RETIRED Forum Gatekeeper

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

About Community Spirit.  Empty Re: About Community Spirit.

Post by Guest Mon 07 Nov 2016, 12:19

I have always found everyone here very polite and helpful even when i have posted a daft question cos i amhaving a blonde moment and cant figure something out, i love it here and thank everyone for allthe help they have ever given me however stupid my problem might seem Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 30 Sep 2017, 12:17

I think G4TW has a very lovely forum and I feel like I am not scared of coming here. Usually I am not a very outgoing person and can easily have a nervous breakdown, maybe people like me exist in minority so we do not have vocal support very often and most of the time just putting ourselves in a corner and blaming ourselves, that's why I want to thank you for creating this thoughtful topic and maintaining this generous and inclusive spirit.

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Sat 30 Sep 2017, 19:28

tatteredtara wrote:I think G4TW has a very lovely forum and I feel like I am not scared of coming here. Usually I am not a very outgoing person and can easily have a nervous breakdown, maybe people like me exist in minority so we do not have vocal support very often and most of the time just putting ourselves in a corner and blaming ourselves, that's why I want to thank you for creating this thoughtful topic and maintaining this generous and inclusive spirit.

You're always welcome @tatteredetara.

Tea 5
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 08 Nov 2017, 03:58

Still new here. But yeah, I love this community <3
Whenever I needed help you were there for me and you never sounded annoyed!!! (Moderators, Admins, helpers alike)! I wished I had the time to help more other members just to keep the karma flow!

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Wed 08 Nov 2017, 21:31

DemyStn wrote:Still new here. But yeah, I love this community <3
Whenever I needed help you were there for me and you never sounded annoyed!!! (Moderators, Admins, helpers alike)! I wished I had the time to help more other members just to keep the karma flow!

If you recommend us to family/friends and maybe also help seeding some of the torrents, then that is already much more than anybody can ask from you. Other than that, we are not going to "go" anywhere, so if you want to take up the challenge of joining the team at any point in the future, read all about it HERE if you haven't done so already.

Cookie from Carlos
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 08 Nov 2017, 23:43

The_gh0stm4n wrote:
DemyStn wrote:Still new here. But yeah, I love this community <3

If you recommend us to family/friends and maybe also help seeding some of the torrents, then that is already much more than anybody can ask from you. Other than that, we are not going to "go" anywhere, so if you want to take up the challenge of joining the team at any point in the future, read all about it HERE if you haven't done so already.

Cookie from Carlos
Oh, I did read the procedure yesterday and I was so excited. It seems fair and worth it, both for the team and the community members. I know I cannot help any other way but seeding, and as a matter of fact I have recommended G4TW to Sims fans that I know, but other than that my time schedule is not to be trusted!!! But I am looking forward in seeing the new dynamic in your team in the future! Hope it works out as well as it currently does [if not even better (if that's even possible!)]!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top