Old ® Games4theworld Forum / Archive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Forum UI Recolor.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Forum UI Recolor. Empty Forum UI Recolor.

Post by Guest Wed 08 Feb 2017, 02:59

Hi! I'm actually not new to this forum, but I have created a new account recently.

Is it possible to have the forum UI recolored? I'll be frank, but white and red text on a pure black background is painful for my eyes, especially at that font size. Theme or skin choices in the future would be great too since there could be people who like it this way, but other people, like me, don't. Such a thing is important to me for a place notable for reading and writing.

I hope you could take my feedback and idea in consideration. Thank you and have a nice day!

Back to top Go down

Forum UI Recolor. Empty Re: Forum UI Recolor.

Post by The_gh0stm4n Wed 08 Feb 2017, 03:21

Kimopoleis wrote:Hi! I'm actually not new to this forum, but I have created a new account recently.

Is it possible to have the forum UI recolored? I'll be frank, but white and red text on a pure black background is painful for my eyes, especially at that font size. Theme or skin choices in the future would be great too since there could be people who like it this way, but other people, like me, don't. Such a thing is important to me for a place notable for reading and writing.

I hope you could take my feedback and idea in consideration. Thank you and have a nice day!

Hello and welcome to the Forum @Kimopoleis! Very Happy

Thanks for the post, and indeed, I myself thought about the possibility of using a fresh theme at some point in the future. Maybe a light theme, with black as the default text color? The thing though is, that this current theme has been modified and (in our opinion) optimized to the extent that we may not want to get rid of it completely, at least not so easily.

Thus far, a lot of work has been put into CSS modifications, some HTML tweaks, custom buttons/logos and whatnot. Of course, new ideas are nonetheless welcome, but please also understand that we probably are not going to "re-invent the wheel" totally.

As for the font colors, I myself actually used a pleasant green shade ("emerald green") for my default text, for which I always had to put in the BBCode in each message. At some point I just went with the default white as well, like most forum users. Red is used rarely here, when it is, mostly to add emphasis on things.

Let's assume for a moment that we intended to stick with the current base-theme, can you think of specific modications that would make your viewing/reading experience more pleasant? Maybe a different default text color than white?
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n
G4TW RETIRED Forum Gatekeeper

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 08 Feb 2017, 03:34

No, unfortunately I cannot think of a better font color for a black background. To expound on my concern, the only thing I wanted changed is the background to become white, and generic text font to become black. As in, just switch it. The rest of the buttons are fine as they are.

I understand the CSS is deep-coded and a hassle to rewrite; Maybe in the future. Thanks!

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Wed 08 Feb 2017, 03:40

Kimopoleis wrote:No, unfortunately I cannot think of a better font color for a black background. To expound on my concern, the only thing I wanted changed is the background to become white, and generic text font to become black. As in, just switch it. The rest of the buttons are fine as they are.

I understand the CSS is deep-coded and a hassle to rewrite; Maybe in the future. Thanks!

Yeah...as for this theme I'm not sure to what extent the default font color could be "optimized". Maybe toward a very slight shade of grey? I don't know, I'm not really a graphics design expert. Razz  I am aware though that for some people the contrast between a dark background and light symbols/logos can be a bit probing to deal with. We would have to ditch this current theme altogether if we decide to optimize on that particular aspect.

We'll take your suggestion into account, and should we decide to change the theme in the future, you'll notice. Wink  Also, feel free to wait for any additional feedback from the other team members.
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by ☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠ Wed 08 Feb 2017, 12:17

Hello,

Welcome to the forum, and thank you for your feedback.

We could experiment with the default font color, it's easily done and I wouldn't mind that.
But... I don't think we'll change the theme. The forum has been using this theme since the beginning, and administration is rather attached to it, to be honest. 

Edit: I'm not sure which browser you're using, but I found an extension for Chrome that allows you to easily switch "user agent" and will allow you to view the mobile version (I used the setting "Android KitKat") of the forum on your PC. It'll make the forum appear like this:

Forum UI Recolor. Dfc3b910

You can find it here for Chrome, it's thinkable that other browsers have a similar extension available.
☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠
☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠
G4TW SUPER Adminatrix
First Lady / Commander-In-Chief
G4TW SUPER Adminatrix First Lady / Commander-In-Chief

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 09 Feb 2017, 04:17

Thank you, @Ɛɗιη 

This is very helpful!

Back to top Go down

Post by ☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠ Thu 09 Feb 2017, 15:14

Good to hear!
☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠
☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠
G4TW SUPER Adminatrix
First Lady / Commander-In-Chief
G4TW SUPER Adminatrix First Lady / Commander-In-Chief

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top