Old ® Games4theworld Forum / Archive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sims 2 only runs in Window Mode (Win 10, GTX 1060, Directx Error)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Sims 2 only runs in Window Mode (Win 10, GTX 1060, Directx Error) Empty Sims 2 only runs in Window Mode (Win 10, GTX 1060, Directx Error)

Post by Guest Tue 25 Jul 2017, 18:24

Hey everyone!

I recently downloaded the Sims 2 Ultimate Collection and installed it as well as checked everything I could find concerning my problem.
So far I launched the game successfully, but only in a windowed mode with 300x600 resolution. I tried every solution I could find so far to fix the DirectX 9.c error I get when I don't force the .exe to launch in Window Mode.

I have an MSI Apache Pro Notebook running with Windows 10.
All compabilty modes didn't help, neither did a reinstall or a change in the graphic rules. The only thing 'working' so far is the window mode. Why.

Processor:    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz, 2601 MHz, 4 Kerne, 8 logische(r) Prozessor(en)
Graphic Card: GeForce GTX 1060 (Notebook Series)

I hope there is a solution to this, but I guess it's just the new notebook not able to run Sims 2 (except window mode)?
Any help will be appreciated!

Last edited by thisnami on Tue 25 Jul 2017, 18:26; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : grammer xD)

Back to top Go down

Sims 2 only runs in Window Mode (Win 10, GTX 1060, Directx Error) Empty Re: Sims 2 only runs in Window Mode (Win 10, GTX 1060, Directx Error)

Post by Guest Tue 25 Jul 2017, 18:36

Open the folder where u have installed Sims 2 Ultimate Collection. Open 'The Sims 2 Mansion and Garden Stuff' folder present in it. Open 'TSData' present in it. Open 'Res' folder present in it. Open 'Config' folder present in it. Open 'Graphics Rules.sgr' using notepad.

Near the top you should see settings called "seti low,medium,high and MediumButDefaultLow". Change low and medium to 3, but leave MediumButDefaultLow on 4. Now save.

For eg, before editing it may look like this:

seti Low    1
seti Medium 2
seti High   3

seti MediumButDefaultLow 4

Edit and save this:

seti Low    3
seti Medium 3
seti High   3

seti MediumButDefaultLow 4

source: Mr DJ's Complete Collection

Back to top Go down

Sims 2 only runs in Window Mode (Win 10, GTX 1060, Directx Error) Empty Re: Sims 2 only runs in Window Mode (Win 10, GTX 1060, Directx Error)

Post by Guest Wed 26 Jul 2017, 00:00

Hey again,

first - thanks for the help! I tried the change but it didn't do anything. It still runs in window mode but without it the directx error pops up.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 26 Jul 2017, 10:39

Then it looks like your shortcut is adapted for windowed mode

Sims 2 only runs in Window Mode (Win 10, GTX 1060, Directx Error) Windowedmode02_orig

Remove the -w after exe" and/or change normal window to maximised

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 26 Jul 2017, 11:14

Sure it is, I forced it to. If I remove the shortcut the launcher starts and as soon as I hit 'Play' the direct x error pops up. This is the thing I wonder about. It's not like it doesn't run, but .. well only forced in window.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 26 Jul 2017, 12:02

New computers have direct X10 or x11, but the Sims 2 needs version 9.0c.
You can download and install that version HERE
It doesn't overwrite newer versions of Direct X, so no harm done.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 26 Jul 2017, 12:12

I tried that too - I kinda rly tried everything I found. Anyway I installed it again but it didn't help. Is there more to change in the graphic rules maybe? I'm really clueless by now. Thanks for your effort!! Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 26 Jul 2017, 12:14

Which Ultimate collection did you download ?
G4TW
Mr. DJ
Fitgirl
other

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Thu 27 Jul 2017, 18:03

Hello,

Normally these problems should be fixed with this "set Low/Medium/High"-thing. But some people used a third-party tool to help them, and this apparently worked better. Maybe it does help you too (note, I myself haven't used it, but a number of Forum users here confirmed it as working):
http://www.simsnetwork.com/simpedia/the-sims-2/editions/the-sims-2/specials/graphics-rules-maker-improve-compatibility-with
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n
G4TW RETIRED Forum Gatekeeper

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 27 Jul 2017, 18:47

The_gh0stm4n wrote:Hello,

Normally these problems should be fixed with this "set Low/Medium/High"-thing. But some people used a third-party tool to help them, and this apparently worked better. Maybe it does help you too (note, I myself haven't used it, but a number of Forum users here confirmed it as working):
http://www.simsnetwork.com/simpedia/the-sims-2/editions/the-sims-2/specials/graphics-rules-maker-improve-compatibility-with
Indeed, works like a charm.
I can now play it on 1920x1080

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Wed 02 Aug 2017, 18:37

I actually haven't yet had the time of finding out what exactly this tool does, but my impression so far is that manually changing the .sgr file should do as well, normally?! I could be totally wrong though. 

Maybe you have to put the .sgr file under Read-Only again, after changing it.
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 02 Aug 2017, 18:52

The_gh0stm4n wrote:I actually haven't yet had the time of finding out what exactly this tool does, but my impression so far is that manually changing the .sgr file should do as well, normally?! I could be totally wrong though. 

Maybe you have to put the .sgr file under Read-Only again, after changing it.
It changes the .sgr file indeed, no need to make it Read-Only
The adjustments made are in the resolution-section of Graphics Rules.sgr where the capacity and name of your specific graphics card is added. It leaves the seti Low, Medium, High unchanged to 1,2 and 3 and these extra resolutions are now also visable in the option menu of the game.
Indeed manual changing the seti to 3,3, and 3 makes it better but the maximum with that method is still 1600x900 instead of the full capacity of your GPU. (such as 1920x1080)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top