Old ® Games4theworld Forum / Archive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

TS3 Mod Advice.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

TS3 Mod Advice. Empty TS3 Mod Advice.

Post by Guest Thu 31 Aug 2017, 19:27

So I recently decided to reinstall everything after Nraas Story Progression bloated my game file to something like 36 gigabytes. Now it's back down to 13. Anyways, before I attempt modding again, I've been looking around the interwebs, and apparently SP is notorious for lagging games. My computer is 4-5 years old now, but even back then it could run TS3 no problem. The game was still old when this Asus was new, so my specs probably aren't the issue.

My 'issues' are kind of twofold. SP lagged me, but I also have a tendency to add waaaay too many sims to the worlds I play, which probably isn't helping the lag situation. So I was wondering if there were any alternatives to SP, that basically do the simple things like push townies to get jerbs and level skills they need. I'm also wondering how many sims is too many. I imagine after so many years, Somebody must've figured out the limit more or less.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Back to top Go down

TS3 Mod Advice. Empty Re: TS3 Mod Advice.

Post by The_gh0stm4n Thu 07 Sep 2017, 19:17

Alexm93 wrote:So I recently decided to reinstall everything after Nraas Story Progression bloated my game file to something like 36 gigabytes. Now it's back down to 13. Anyways, before I attempt modding again, I've been looking around the interwebs, and apparently SP is notorious for lagging games. My computer is 4-5 years old now, but even back then it could run TS3 no problem. The game was still old when this Asus was new, so my specs probably aren't the issue.

My 'issues' are kind of twofold. SP lagged me, but I also have a tendency to add waaaay too many sims to the worlds I play, which probably isn't helping the lag situation. So I was wondering if there were any alternatives to SP, that basically do the simple things like push townies to get jerbs and level skills they need. I'm also wondering how many sims is too many. I imagine after so many years, Somebody must've figured out the limit more or less.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Hello and sorry for the late reply,

I assume you are playing on a laptop? Contrary to what many users may think, even expensive laptops aren't really made with the intention of being used for actual gaming purposes (even the ones that are marketed and sold as 'gaming laptops' may be good for video editing/rendering or more advanced graphics stuff, but probably not for "heavier PC gaming").

What you could try is to *not* install all DLC. Leave out expansions & stuffpacks you do not particularly care about. I know this may not be an option for a lot of players out there, but it's one way to improve general game performance. Speaking of which.

Alexm93 wrote:(...) I'm also wondering how many sims is too many.  I imagine after so many years, Somebody must've figured out the limit more or less.

Reminds me of the endless discussions about another game (Prison Architect) in which players kept complaining that adding too many prisoners to your sandbox prison will lock the game up. The truth with those sandbox games is: there is no single correct answer. It will largely depend on your hardware specs. Higher-end components (especially CPU & RAM) = more numbers/possibilities. Now the CPU in laptops may not be worth the time messing with, but usually the RAM modules are easy to replace, so you may want to check on that, or ask in a computer shop. Oftentimes though you have on the bottom of the laptop a plastic cover that can be unscrewed, and the RAM modules are usually easy to remove/insert there. Bear in mind as well that The Sims 3 can only use up to 4GB of your total RAM, so if you have a total of 8GB of RAM on your laptop, that should be more than fine. But you don't necessarily need more than 8GB, just for TS3.

But then again, maybe there is a cheaper option. If you feel you added too many sims to the world, then try deleting/evicting them in small batches. Then always check if, any by how much, your performance has changed. Keep evicting sims until you get a decent result.

Edit: I dimly recall a thread a long time ago where a user (deliberately) put so many cars on one particular lot that it made the game lock up, and I believe they also tested how many floors a house can have before the game locks up. I really don't remember the exact figure that the user gave but then again, I'm still not sure if there is really a uniform max. limit on these things.
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n
G4TW RETIRED Forum Gatekeeper

G4TW RETIRED Forum Gatekeeper

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top