Old ® Games4theworld Forum / Archive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Dragon Returns.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Dragon Returns. Empty The Dragon Returns.

Post by Dracos66 Fri 23 Mar 2018, 14:20

Been awhile since I was able to get on here. New Job, new home and all the RL bull that goes with it. Smile 

Figured I'd pop back in, see how far I got demoted (hate seeing Retired Moderator title and priveledges have been removed but I have been gone for a bit) and to see who's still around. Glad to see some familiar faces. Special greeting to Mi' Lady, glad to see you're still here.

Tried my stint with TS4 and am not impressed so I am returning to TS3 and blowing the dust off a ton of CC (approx. 200 GB worth) as well as updating some of my favorite mods for 1.69. Will start sharing once they have been tested. Looking forward to helping out again.  Hammertime
Dracos66
Dracos66
G4TW RETIRED Moderator
Discharged with Honors

G4TW RETIRED Moderator Discharged with Honors

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows Vista
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : AOE I,II,III; Diablo ; Diablo II:LOD ; Spellforce ; Neverwinter Nights ; Planescape Torment ; Sims 1,2 ,3 & 4

Male

Back to top Go down

The Dragon Returns. Empty Re: The Dragon Returns.

Post by The_gh0stm4n Sat 24 Mar 2018, 17:30

Dracos66 wrote:Been awhile since I was able to get on here. New Job, new home and all the RL bull that goes with it. Smile 

Figured I'd pop back in, see how far I got demoted (hate seeing Retired Moderator title and priveledges have been removed but I have been gone for a bit) and to see who's still around. Glad to see some familiar faces. Special greeting to Mi' Lady, glad to see you're still here.

Tried my stint with TS4 and am not impressed so I am returning to TS3 and blowing the dust off a ton of CC (approx. 200 GB worth) as well as updating some of my favorite mods for 1.69. Will start sharing once they have been tested. Looking forward to helping out again.  Hammertime

Well, well - look who we got again amongst us!  What a Face  Welcome back, I suppose.

It's indeed been quite a long time, and a lot has changed here. There's Sims 4, Master Admin has left (or maybe he still sits in the background, nobody really knows), and some other changes.

In all fairness, all inactive Moderators and Helpers were removed, leaving me & @SeoY these days. Maybe you'll want to try and get in touch with ~Ann~ (Lady ElDi) personally as well.

And if anything comes up, ... you know where to find us.

Happy B-day!
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n
G4TW RETIRED Forum Gatekeeper

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dracos66 Sat 24 Mar 2018, 18:12

The_gh0stm4n wrote:
Well, well - look who we got again amongst us!  What a Face  Welcome back, I suppose.

It's indeed been quite a long time, and a lot has changed here. There's Sims 4, Master Admin has left (or maybe he still sits in the background, nobody really knows), and some other changes.

In all fairness, all inactive Moderators and Helpers were removed, leaving me & @SeoY these days. Maybe you'll want to try and get in touch with ~Ann~ (Lady ElDi) personally as well.

And if anything comes up, ... you know where to find us.

Happy B-day!

Glad to have the time to be back. No worries about the purge, I was very happy when I didn't have to re-sign up.

I'm sure Admin is still lurking in the shadows here  Wink  Drop me a line if ya'll need help with anything here and I'll be glad to lend a hand.
Dracos66
Dracos66
G4TW RETIRED Moderator
Discharged with Honors

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows Vista
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : AOE I,II,III; Diablo ; Diablo II:LOD ; Spellforce ; Neverwinter Nights ; Planescape Torment ; Sims 1,2 ,3 & 4

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Sat 07 Apr 2018, 05:10

Dracos66 wrote:
I was very happy when I didn't have to re-sign up.

I'm sure Admin is still lurking in the shadows here  Wink  Drop me a line if ya'll need help with anything here and I'll be glad to lend a hand.

Sorry for the belated reply,

You seemed to have received my e-mail so that is good. Very Happy  Not sure if ~Ann~ got in touch with you already, but I did notify her. Either way, it is rather uncommon that accounts are deleted. Sometimes people ask for it...usually highschool/college-aged kids who have left some 'compromising' information here such as pictures of themselves, and they want their account deleted because they fear "consequences" for their subsequent path of real-life. No, at least in my humble understanding, that would still not classify as a good reason. A.k.a. "be aware of what you sign up for".
https://games4theworld.forumotion.com/t24098-forum-faq

G4TW wrote:How do I delete my Forum account:

Keep in mind that the Forum Administrators generally do NOT delete Forum accounts. Similar as with username changes, the administrative effort can be significant, if users repeatedly create new accounts and then request their deletion. If you want to have your account deleted, you will need to contact a Forum Administrator individually, and give a good reason as to why you want us to delete your account. If we decide not to grant your request, you still have the option to delete your own account, by means of this external form here. If you decide to do this on your own, please note that the Administrators will not delete any Forum messages you have made either (unless they convey any personal information or are otherwise offensive or inappropriate). You will need to edit/delete these messages on your own - prior to deleting your account.

What else...

About Master Admin lurking in the shadows...by all means. But like I've explained to ~Ann~ already, I'm not liking the idea of the G4TW website and the Minecraft-server being operated by only one person who can also set all permissions. A "Webmaster" with basically full system access, and with no communicative way to get in touch with him? With the utmost respect for the Master and his friends, this sounds like a recipe for doom. I did actually expect problems when filing for the founder access on the actual Forum here, at least that went smooth.   

As for the website and Minecraft-server I'm hoping ~Ann~ will come up with something (new), in due course. 

Personally, I'm glad that this person is gone, or least not active on the Forum anymore. In the months before he left for good, he wasn't particularly active anymore and shortly before he left I noticed his demeanor change, not necessarily in a positive way though. Maybe he did have problems in real-life, or maybe it was nothing more insidious than his way of just putting an end to all this.

Either way, many question marks remain, and it's not just 'nostalgia'. Substantial questions are connected as well. For example, the G4TW Twitter-Page - maintained by the Master - "copies" messages from the G4TW Facebook Page until the character limit for tweets is reached. Which in my opinion does not look good, again with all due respect. Then "we" have that old G4TW website, and the aforementioned MC-server. Then there is also a YouTube-channel, etc. We got quite a way before us, and yes. At the moment it seems we may need to come up with a few new sites, if we deem it useful for our work. Twitter may be less relevant, but maybe YouTube could be something.

We will definitely enlist your knowledge and experience, on occasion.  What a Face

P.S. is the Steam username on your profile accurate...? I was looking it up earlier, but didn't seem to find it.  scratch
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dracos66 Sat 07 Apr 2018, 05:56

The_gh0stm4n wrote:
Dracos66 wrote:
I was very happy when I didn't have to re-sign up.

Sorry for the belated reply,

You seemed to have received my e-mail so that is good. Very Happy  Not sure if ~Ann~ got in touch with you already, but I did notify her. ...
What else...

About Master Admin lurking in the shadows...by all means. But like I've explained to ~Ann~ already, I'm not liking the idea of the G4TW website and the Minecraft-server being operated only one person who can also set all permissions. A "Webmaster" with basically full system access, and with no communicative way to get in touch with him? With the utmost respect for the Master and his friends, this sounds like a recipe for doom. I did actually expect problems when filing for the founder access on the actual Forum here, at least that went smooth.   

As for the website and Minecraft-server I'm hoping ~Ann~ will come up with something (new), in due course. 

Personally, I'm glad that this person is gone, or least not active on the Forum anymore. In the months before he left for good, he wasn't particularly active anymore and shortly before he left I noticed his demeanor change, not necessarily in a positive way though. Maybe he did have problems in real-life, or maybe it was nothing more insidious than his way of just putting an end to all this.

Either way, many question marks remain, and it's not just 'nostalgia'. Substantial questions are connected as well. For example, the G4TW Twitter-Page - maintained by the Master - "copies" messages from the G4TW Facebook Page until the character limit for tweets is reached. Which in my opinion does not look good, again with all due respect. Then "we" have that old G4TW website, and the aforementioned MC-server. Then there is also a YouTube-channel, etc. We got quite a way before us, and yes. At the moment it seems we may need to come up with a few new sites, if we deem it useful for our work. Twitter may be less relevant, but maybe YouTube could be something.

We will definitely enlist your knowledge and experience, on occasion.  What a Face

P.S. is the Steam username on your profile accurate...? I was looking it up earlier, but didn't seem to find it.  scratch

I remember times when Admin would get "weird", for lack of a better word, and get moody. Especially if something was going on IRL, but he usually snapped out of it after a bit. I also advised him several times to share the load so he wouldn't burn out. Hopefully ~Ann~ can get something worked out there. Still haven't heard from ~Ann~ but she's usually got a lot on her plate so it may take a bit.

I may be able to help with the MC server issue. I have a few rPi's that shouldn't take too long to set up as servers and a good fiber-optic connection. Probably have a spare PC that could be setup if needed but will have to check its specs.

P.S.S. Facepalm , I put my EA handle instead of my Steam handle. Steam = dracos66 , will correct on my profile after posting this.
Dracos66
Dracos66
G4TW RETIRED Moderator
Discharged with Honors

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows Vista
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Thu 12 Apr 2018, 21:08

Dracos66 wrote:I remember times when Admin would get "weird", for lack of a better word, and get moody. Especially if something was going on IRL, but he usually snapped out of it after a bit. I also advised him several times to share the load so he wouldn't burn out. Hopefully ~Ann~ can get something worked out there.

I recall, shortly after we released the cracked TS4-basegame/repack, there was a discussion in the Mods or Helpers Area about the general outlook for G4TW. There was for example a reference to the G4TW Facebook Page, and that it should come "very close" to a professional customer service (note that by that time, the FB-page was mainly 'operated' by one person only, and still is, to this day).

You can't have such a Forum like G4TW and a vast array of side-platforms, without a realistic longterm-plan to ensure operational capability. And at that point he would have had two choices: either scale back drastically, or to give a little more trust to other people. None of these points seemed to be an option, until about 2016 or so. Granted, and you certainly noticed it from my undertone and from the previous message(s). I myself rarely got along with the man - and (!) most of the people who would be considered "close" to Admin. And probably that is a very nice way to put it. I freely admit that, and there is no point in hiding this. Nonetheless, for my part I helped running the Forum as best as I could. And still intend to do so, for as long as possible.

I disagreed with nearly everything the old Admin said, but at some point, when it was becoming apparent that he would distance himself from the daily Forum operations, he seemed to show more interest in delegating more serious responsibilities. He brought up enabling banning powers for Moderators. A nice gesture, but due to the limitations of Forumotion's "awesome" software, it would have meant to give those powers to the semi-Moderators as well, a.k.a. people who only have mod powers in a small number of Forum sections. Therefore I disagreed. The same was later brought up by ~Ann~ again, and I disagreed once more. As long as we "roll" with a system of Global Mods plus Sectional/Local Mods, I don't think we should implement this. And despite Forumotion's recent and well-advertised "feature packages", which seem to have caused a lot of unhappy reactions, it doesn't seem likely that we are going to see major changes in the Forum software. Migrating to a self-hosted Forum could still be an option, but as Forumotion don't give out databases, we would (presumably??) lose all messages if we started completely afresh. Though I was going to e-mail you about that particular point in private, stay tuned!

So...I guess we are trucking along just OK. The main updates of the Forum these days are those mini-TS4 DLC. Maybe we will work on other types of releases too. 

Can't touch banana
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top