Old ® Games4theworld Forum / Archive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

An alternative approach to managing Store and Custom Content.*UPDATED* (The Sims 3)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

An alternative approach to managing Store and Custom Content.*UPDATED* (The Sims 3) Empty An alternative approach to managing Store and Custom Content.*UPDATED* (The Sims 3)

Post by ☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠ Tue 31 Jan 2012, 18:04

http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=461888
From the creator of CC Magic:
Custom Content management for The Sims 3 has become a challenge.  There
are literally multiple gigabytes of custom content available for the
game.  This introduces a couple of issues to the game that plague
players.

• Game Lag : When you have more than about 200 custom
    content files, the game begins to slow down noticeably.  This is a
    limitation of the way modern computer operating systems work, not an
    issue with the game itself.
  • Organization : What do you do if you
    decide you don’t want a particular custom object anymore?  How do you
    find it?  What if you just want to disable it temporarily while testing
    another similar object?  With thousands of CC files, it can be very
    difficult to track down any specific CC item.

CC Magic is a way to conquer both of these issues.  CC Magic allows you
to organize your custom content into a hierarchy of “sets” much like
file folders, thereby allowing you to find and manage your CC however
you wish.  Unlike using file folders to manage your package files, CC
Magic knows what those files contain and can show you information from
the packages to help identify them.  For example, for most items it can
show you a thumbnail of the item as well as a name and description.

Once you use CC Magic to organize your content files into sets, it goes
one step further by eliminating the large file count lag issue.  Each
set you create is consolidated into a single package file (or a very few
files, each file is limited to 1GB by operating system requirements),
no matter how many individual packages you may have installed in the
set.

In addition to these core features, there are also features such as collection support for those with patch
1.26 or later (or Pets EP), and a configuration tool that allows you to
keep multiple configurations of sets and activate them with a simple
drop down menu.

Supported File Types

• Sims3Pack files can be processed as long as the are not Sims Store (encrypted) files
  • Package files can be processed
  • sim files (saved sims) can be partially processed (the are always installed)
  • world files cannot be processed and must still be installed using the EA Launcher
  • lot files (both empty and inhabited] can be partially processed (the are always installed)

Thanks to Dracos66, orginally posted here.
Note that cc magic will install most of the sims3packs found here. That store content has been decrapified so it isn't encrypted anymore. Cracked games will usually not install original, encrypted sims3packs.

Now if you're happy with the way the launcher handles your extra content, but have an individual object that won't show up in game, ccmagic might not be the way to go since it takes care of all your CC. Or in the event that ccmagic does not solve your problem. There are other things to try.

You can use this tool to extract individual sims3packs into package files. If you're going to extract a lot of sims3packs like this, its better to combine them as explained here. Use Merlin to sort through the resulting packages and rename them if you wish. You can also find "junkpackages" (like a picture of the item) and delete them with Merlin.
Merlin can be downloaded here. This program can also be used to install package files and sims3packs.

DO NOT POST ANY QUESTIONS OR PROBLEMS IN THIS TOPIC. INSTEAD, PLEASE OPEN A NEW TOPIC IN THE APPROPRIATE FORUM-SECTION, EITHER "THE SIMS 3 DOWNLOADS SUPPORT" OR "THE SIMS 3 IN-GAME SUPPORT"! THANK-YOU-NOTES CAN BE POSTED IN THE SECTION WITH THE SAME NAME.

Note that any and all questions posted under this thread, will be deleted without any explanation or advance warning. We have the Forum sections dedicated to Support purposes, for a reason.

Last edited by Lady ElDi on Tue 28 Aug 2012, 07:36; edited 5 times in total
☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠
☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠
G4TW SUPER Adminatrix
First Lady / Commander-In-Chief
G4TW SUPER Adminatrix First Lady / Commander-In-Chief

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Female

Back to top Go down

An alternative approach to managing Store and Custom Content.*UPDATED* (The Sims 3) Empty Re: An alternative approach to managing Store and Custom Content.*UPDATED* (The Sims 3)

Post by invalidusername Wed 01 Feb 2012, 07:09

I've been using this for a few weeks now, and it is absolutely amazing.
There have been no problems with it, and it's UI is so easy to manage. I completely recommend that everybody that uses a lot of mods gets this.
invalidusername
invalidusername
G4TW RETIRED Moderatrix
Discharged with Honors

G4TW RETIRED Moderatrix Discharged with Honors

Windows version :
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims, Assassin's Creed (All), Elder Scolls, Dragon Age : Origins, Harvest Moon, Mario, Zelda, Psychonauts, SimCity, House of the Dead : Overkill, Magic: The Gathering, Saint's Row, Civilization 5, The Witcher

Female

Back to top Go down

An alternative approach to managing Store and Custom Content.*UPDATED* (The Sims 3) Empty Re: An alternative approach to managing Store and Custom Content.*UPDATED* (The Sims 3)

Post by Guest Wed 01 Feb 2012, 18:32

I've seen this recently and downloaded it. Maybe I just don't understand how to use it, but how do I use it to compile a whole stack of mods together? I've put them together into sets, and I've clicked rebuild, but there's no difference. All my mods are still there, and it's all still really slow loading times, and with 800 packages, I really need it Sad Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dracos66 Wed 01 Feb 2012, 21:04

TheSpeaker wrote:I've seen this recently and downloaded it. Maybe I just don't understand how to use it, but how do I use it to compile a whole stack of mods together? I've put them together into sets, and I've clicked rebuild, but there's no difference. All my mods are still there, and it's all still really slow loading times, and with 800 packages, I really need it Sad Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I only use this to categorize and install/uninstall my files. For combining package files I use S3PE and Sims3Dashboard (for checking mod conflicts), both can be found at modthesims http://www.modthesims.info

You also want to keep your packages under 200 to avoid long loads and decrease lagging. Also using a package extractor on your sims3pack files helps cut down on the size of your DLCCache which also improves performance since you can then combine the packages extracted and load them in your mods folder.
Dracos66
Dracos66
G4TW RETIRED Moderator
Discharged with Honors

G4TW RETIRED Moderator Discharged with Honors

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows Vista
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : AOE I,II,III; Diablo ; Diablo II:LOD ; Spellforce ; Neverwinter Nights ; Planescape Torment ; Sims 1,2 ,3 & 4

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 21 May 2012, 03:07

maybe i'm just a complete idiot, but i thought i figured out how to work cc magic, but it didn't seem to make any difference, so i'm assuming i just couldn't figure it out at all!

Back to top Go down

Post by ☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠ Mon 21 May 2012, 07:07

Hello,

It doesn't make a difference to everyone. At any rate, you can better organize your cc.
☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠
☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠
G4TW SUPER Adminatrix

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 22 May 2012, 04:28

i don't think i was doing that right either now that i look at it. not everything was showing up & half of the thumbnails were wrong. i feel silly not being able to work it. i'm just trying to figure out a way to organize my cc & perhaps get rid of some of it because my game keeps crashing every couple of hours & lags like mad & freezes every ten sim minutes. driving me crazy!

Back to top Go down

Post by ☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠ Tue 22 May 2012, 08:14

graceylouwho wrote:i don't think i was doing that right either now that i look at it. not everything was showing up & half of the thumbnails were wrong. i feel silly not being able to work it. i'm just trying to figure out a way to organize my cc & perhaps get rid of some of it because my game keeps crashing every couple of hours & lags like mad & freezes every ten sim minutes. driving me crazy!

Hello,

We may be able to help you with all of that, but please open a new topic since this one isn't really for problems.
☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠
☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠
G4TW SUPER Adminatrix

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 23 May 2012, 00:11

right sorry bout that! didn't mean to clutter the feed.

Back to top Go down

Post by ☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠ Wed 23 May 2012, 07:33

graceylouwho wrote:right sorry bout that! didn't mean to clutter the feed.

Hello,

It's no problem really. Comments about the program are ok, it's just when I saw you were having other issues, I thought you'd like some help with that so that's why I suggested it.
☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠
☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠
G4TW SUPER Adminatrix

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 28 May 2012, 00:12

Is there a step by step guide to using this? I downloaded it, went here to read, then went to their site, but I still have no idea how to actually use it correctly.

Back to top Go down

Post by ☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠ Mon 28 May 2012, 09:28

Hello,

Which one?
cc magic
TSR Merlin
Delphy's multi pack installer is very straightforward.
☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠
☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠
G4TW SUPER Adminatrix

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by ☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠ Mon 28 May 2012, 16:52

Hello,

Ok, there's a link to a ccmagic tut in my previous post Wink
☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠
☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠
G4TW SUPER Adminatrix

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 04 Aug 2012, 19:40

does CC Magic work for Mac?

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top