Old ® Games4theworld Forum / Archive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Sims 2 is not installed. [SOLVED]

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Sims 2 is not installed. [SOLVED] Empty The Sims 2 is not installed. [SOLVED]

Post by Guest Wed 17 Oct 2018, 11:23

Hi. Could someone help me, please? I am having some problems with "The Sims 2 - Origin Ultimate Collection". 

When I try to start the game, the window that opens up says something like "The Sims 2 is not installed on this machine" or something alonmg those lines. If needed, I can write the exact error message here.

I was trying to install it on a PC with Windows 7 Proffesional SP1 installed. In the guide it says that if I encounter this problem, I should check if I've done the steps #6 - #9 correctly. I have checked, and the command in the shortcut of "Touchup.exe" is written correctly. After double clicking on the shortcut, a .txt file called "MaintenanceLog" is created. Inside the log, everything seems to be fine. It tells me when I have executed the installer and it shows no error there. I have also been very careful when specifying the path in the command for the shortcut of "Touchup.exe". It is the right path, the command works, the installer runs, where could the problem be, then?

I am patiently waiting for an answer. This is my second attempt at trying to install a version of TS2 downloaded from this site with no luck so far. I am a big fan of TS3 and I really wanted to try out TS2, even if I can't legally buy it anymore.

Thank you in advance!

Regards,
coolguy139.

Back to top Go down

The Sims 2 is not installed. [SOLVED] Empty Re: The Sims 2 is not installed. [SOLVED]

Post by Guest Wed 17 Oct 2018, 11:30

You can install it via Zclient/ZLOrigin
see THIS TOPIC

Back to top Go down

The Sims 2 is not installed. [SOLVED] Empty Re: The Sims 2 is not installed. [SOLVED]

Post by Guest Wed 17 Oct 2018, 19:43

Thank you very much for your answer! I'll try it within a few days and I'll let you know if it works.

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Wed 17 Oct 2018, 19:52

coolguy139 wrote:Thank you very much for your answer! I'll try it within a few days and I'll let you know if it works.

You have made a mistake, otherwise the game would be working by now. A lot of people before you have made this thing work. It's very easy to overlook mistakes when typing these parameters. A quotation mark too much, not having an empty space between individual parameters. I would have suggested that you enlist the help of a friend/relative/parent or whatever, just a second pair of eyes, to double-check on whatever you typed.

But it's OK, I'm not there to judge anyone (even if this message looks as if I do). If you feel you absolutely cannot make this work, it's also fine. 

ZLOrigin indeed offers the exact same game, and you can grab it from there as well. Should go much easier. Note that you will still need a No-CD file for Mansion and Garden Stuff, in order to start that ZLOrigin version without going through the ZClient log-in. A No-CD file is included in the Ultimate Collection torrent as well, in the folder #Crack.
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n
G4TW RETIRED Forum Gatekeeper

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 17 Oct 2018, 20:02

Well, thank you for the additional instructions.

I've been proggraming in C++ for 6 years. I do know how computers work and why I need to be very careful about every character that I type out. And I was very careful about that command, and even tested it, and it worked, or at least the "MaintenanceLog" says so. I don't feel like you are judging me; you are just treating me like a person with no experience in installing this specific game, which I must admit that I am, otherwise it would have been installed and working.

Well, again, thank you. I will try it and again, I will let you know if it works.

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Wed 17 Oct 2018, 20:15

coolguy139 wrote:(...) you are just treating me like a person with no experience in installing this specific game, 

Your prerogative to feel this way. I prefer calling this being direct and blunt. 

Maybe the torrent itself is busted, though you probably wouldn't be able to extract the .rar contents in the first place if that was the case. Hypothetically you could then try using the direct download or a different torrent client. uTorrent as of lately seems to be causing problems on that end.

There are also other scenarios which would cause the error, as stated in the lower parts of the installation guide. I'm almost sure there are more scenarios as well, which we are not aware of.

Well, good luck anyways.
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 17 Oct 2018, 20:21

I have downloaded it using qBittorrent. I like using torrents more because I don't always have time to wait for the direct downloads to be completed. Anyway, I'll see if I can install it with ZLOrigin and I'll report back.

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Wed 17 Oct 2018, 20:35

coolguy139 wrote:I have downloaded it using qBittorrent. I like using torrents more because I don't always have time to wait for the direct downloads to be completed. 

Torrent problems can occur with any client though; uTorrent was just one possible example, which I used because most people are using it. But it can happen 'anywhere'.

ZLOrigin is like a direct download, although it kind of functions like the real Origin client, in that the download stops in the event of connectivity problems and can be resumed anything again.

Also, apparently we didn't include that in the installation guide (?), but there was a trick I read about, that involved searching the registry entries that the game created and looking for the small "TM" symbol in the registry entries; the solution involved deleting that TM from the "value data" in the registry entries and then trying the game again. This is said to have solved some of these "game not installed errors" as well.
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 18 Oct 2018, 09:02

The_gh0stm4n wrote:
coolguy139 wrote:Also, apparently we didn't include that in the installation guide (?), but there was a trick I read about, that involved searching the registry entries that the game created and looking for the small "TM" symbol in the registry entries; the solution involved deleting that TM from the "value data" in the registry entries and then trying the game again. This is said to have solved some of these "game not installed errors" as well.

.... You actually included it. Perhaps that's the thing that I should have tried and I did not!! Ok, now I'm going to try it. Hope it will work.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 18 Oct 2018, 09:28

The Sims 2 is not installed. [SOLVED] Regedi10

That's how my registry keys look like. There aren't any values in them, except for the "QuietDisplayName" located in "The Sims 2" key. As I am pretty familiar to using regedit, I understand that "Quiet" in front of "DisplayName" affects the visibility in Control Panel, and I would like to keep it that way because those games are gold and I don't want to uninstall them (even accidentally how I once did with a program) any soon.

There are no TMs, but strangely there aren't any other values in that key, which I think it is not normal. 

I also have a key called "Electronic Arts", inside which there are the "EA Core\Installed Games" and "EA Games". Inside "EA Core\Installed Games", there is no key related to TS2, though there are plently related to TS3. Inside "EA Games", all the EPs and SPs are referenced in the names of other empty keys.

The Sims 2 is not installed. [SOLVED] Regedi11

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 18 Oct 2018, 09:30

Then perhaps TS2 is really not installed?
I think I'm going to try with ZLOrigin now.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 18 Oct 2018, 10:36

I had no problems installing ZLOrigin so far. Now I have some problems with retrieving a password for an old, empty account, but I think I can reset the password myself, whenever I recieve the email for it. Again, I'll let you know if it worked.

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Thu 18 Oct 2018, 22:06

coolguy139 wrote:Then perhaps TS2 is really not installed?
I think I'm going to try with ZLOrigin now.

Under the folder #Extras, I believe there are backup registry entries, which you can use to restore the registry to normal (in the event those entries are purged for example by CCleaner or similar tools). Feel free to try if you haven't yet.

Otherwise, ZLOrigin is a convenient alternative solution in the event you can't get these 'normal' downloads working. Goes for any Sims game; ZLOrigin has got you covered with TS2 Ultimate Collection, TS3 (version 1.69) and TS4.
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 19 Oct 2018, 09:43

The_gh0stm4n wrote:Under the folder #Extras, I believe there are backup registry entries, which you can use to restore the registry to normal (in the event those entries are purged for example by CCleaner or similar tools). Feel free to try if you haven't yet.

The strange thing here is that I didn't use any program which clears redundant data, like old, unused registry keys. 

The_gh0stm4n wrote:Otherwise, ZLOrigin is a convenient alternative solution in the event you can't get these 'normal' downloads working. Goes for any Sims game; ZLOrigin has got you covered with TS2 Ultimate Collection, TS3 (version 1.69) and TS4.

ZLOrigin seems to be very useful, as the installation process seems to be easy and I really wanted to try newer TS4 packs to know if they're worth buying (as I consider the first few EPs and GPs of TS4 that I bought boring and lame compared with TS3's), besides installing TS2.

I usually have Origin and a few games that I bought installed on a different PC, far from my TS3 installation, because I want to avoid patch 1.69, which a few people from important sites like The Sims Forums, ModTheSims etc. have reported that it adds nothing new, it fixes no bugs, but it slows down the already slow game a lot.

That slows down my installation more than I expected, because I first have to find a workaround for it, make it, test it, eventually find another ones if the first one didn't work, etc.

Isn't there another way I could try to do it not involving ZLOrigin? Isn't there a way to find what was wrong with my initial installation?

I'll try to restore the TS2 registry values fro the .reg files that you gave me, and I'll see if it works.

If it doesn't work though, I'll have to find a workaround for patch 1.69, to install TS2 via ZLOrigin. I still want to keep my genuine TS3 installation, without reinstalling anything or messing it up with patch 1.69.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 19 Oct 2018, 11:19

Patch 1.69 ineed does not add extra items to your game.
Because many (older) computers struggled with The Sims 3, Electronic Arts developed patch 1.69 to enable you to reduce the workload for your PC by switching off unwanted DLC's.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 19 Oct 2018, 11:40

So that's what it did... Well, I don't need that functionality then, and since so many people say it is bad, I'll still try to avoid it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 19 Oct 2018, 13:23

Aaaand... I'm done with the workaround!  Very Happy

It was far easier than I though. Now Origin isn't trying to update my game anymore. If anyone is interested in how I did it, please let me know.

Now TS2 is downloading, while TS4 is in queue. I'll let you know if it fully works, though I don't see any reason why it wouldn't.

I have one more question though: Where is Origin supposed to install it? I would like to specify my own location for it.

If I really can't specify it though, I will most probably make an mklink junction to the location where I want it to be installed, as I did with my TS3 mods folder.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 19 Oct 2018, 15:05

coolguy139 wrote:I have one more question though: Where is Origin supposed to install it?

Nevermind; I found it and it happens to be in the right place where I wanted it to be.

Many thanks to both of you! It seems to have worked, and although I only tested a few tutorials, I'm sure the EPs loaded, since I've got all the neighbourhoods in there.

Now I only need to apply the 4GB patch and it should be all ok. If something goes wrong though, I'll open a new thread for it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 19 Oct 2018, 15:10

As far as I know the default destination is C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\The Sims 2
However you can install the game anywhere on your computer but unfortunately you must fully delete yor Sims game incl. register-entries first.
In Origin clcik on the word Origin (left-top)
Select Application Settings ->Installs & Saves
In "On your computer" type the path for your installation, such as D:\My Games\.
The game will then be installed in D:\My Games\The Sims 2.

When you do not remove\alter your old register entries, the game will still install in the folder the register refers to.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 19 Oct 2018, 19:00

Thank you again, but as I said, I've managed to install everything.
Now this thread is ready to be closed by an admin.

Gatekeeper Edit: problem solved, topic closed.

- The_gh0stm4n

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top