Old ® Games4theworld Forum / Archive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why can't we edit/delete our posts anymore ?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Why can't we edit/delete our posts anymore ? Empty Why can't we edit/delete our posts anymore ?

Post by Guest Sun 21 Oct 2018, 14:36

see topic title

Back to top Go down

Why can't we edit/delete our posts anymore ? Empty Re: Why can't we edit/delete our posts anymore ?

Post by Guest Sun 21 Oct 2018, 16:58

Not related but weren't you an admin here?

Back to top Go down

Why can't we edit/delete our posts anymore ? Empty Re: Why can't we edit/delete our posts anymore ?

Post by Guest Sun 21 Oct 2018, 17:01

Delecia wrote:Not related but weren't you an admin here?
No, never been.

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Sun 21 Oct 2018, 20:27

Tarac wrote:see topic title

The simple "reason" is: nobody - or barely anybody - was using the EDIT-button for its intended feature anyway (correcting mistakes, adding more information). Most people just post a follow-up reply.

The actual intention of this step of mine is, to preserve consistency in discussion threads. I've seen cases where there is a new thread, I type a reply to it, and then when I use the "send"-button I get the error message that the topic doesn't exist anymore. Which means the topic creator deleted their post in the meantime; I guess they managed to solve the problem on their own. Which is good, don't get me wrong. But if I go to the length of typing something I would generally like it to be out there.

Another example is that people - out of spite - sometimes simply replace their written posts with useful information, for example with dots. And then I have people e-mailing me "what was that user saying, this could've been good information". Other times people don't post at the end of the thread "Problem solved, thank you", but instead edit their whole opening message saying that the problem is solved. Apparently some other Forums do that (again, nothing wrong with that in principle), and some people then use these practices on G4TW as well. What this could lead to is that the original problem is not visible anymore, and hence future users who come and read this thread, for example through the search function cannot see what the original issue was.

I was going to introduce a compromise solution that would have involved an "edit limit" of 15 minutes or so, but then found that this would have affected the entire Forum. Right now, you cannot edit & delete messages as a normal user. But exceptions are The Sims Emporium, The Sims 4 Creativity Zone, The Sims 3 Exchange, and all other tutorial sections. People can come back anytime to edit/update their guides and creations. Another exception is that if people are G4TW team members: these people - including Sim Architect and the purple "Developers" - can still freely edit their submitted messages, in all sections they can access.

But for everything else, I don't think normal  users should have these editing powers anymore. Or at least there should be limitations. It's also a signal that I'm intending to send out: "be careful and mindful about the messages you send out here".

It is good to see how these things work out in practice, so thank you for the feedback. The step will be re-evaluated in the future, but for now we will be seeing how it works out. If I'm allowed to say, so far it looks good. For me at least.

People can rest assured that in the event of personal information being posted or other Forum Rule violations, these will be taken care of by the admins or supermods. Other than that, I don't think there is any legal requirement for us to do 'more'. Written Forum messages stand as-is, and if Forumotion disagrees they should message us personally.
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n
G4TW RETIRED Forum Gatekeeper

G4TW RETIRED Forum Gatekeeper

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top