Old ® Games4theworld Forum / Archive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Confused about Sims 4 installation. [SOLVED]

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Confused about Sims 4 installation. [SOLVED] Empty Confused about Sims 4 installation. [SOLVED]

Post by Guest Mon 29 Jul 2019, 22:01

So I came back to apply the latest patch and I've been looking over the instructions and noticed some changes on the installaton instructions https://www.games4theworld.club/t21806-must-read-how-to-install-the-sims-4-correctly...

For starters, it previously said to simply 'rename' the Game folder then continue with the next step. But now we need to download a new one? then on steps #11-#20 we are supposed to now delete the Game folder every single time? I'm so confused. 

I installed everything without downloading a new game folder and only renaming the game folder ato Game_ at step #7. I then proceeded to simply install all the further patches normally without doing anything to the game folder again. The game runs flawlessly. Why even include all the extra steps? What's the point in downloading a new game folder and then deleting it 10 times afterwords? This isn't a sarcastic question, I am genuinely curious so I know I didn't screw anything up

Back to top Go down

Confused about Sims 4 installation. [SOLVED] Empty Re: Confused about Sims 4 installation. [SOLVED]

Post by The_gh0stm4n Mon 29 Jul 2019, 22:14

Welcome to the Forum first of all,

The guide you are referring to did not always have those 20+ steps. When new DLCs came out, I basically left the old steps as they are, because they "were not wrong", albeit not efficient.

Even simpler: if I removed those notices under every post that recommend deleting the Game-folder, then people would be complaining "but I only want to install up to step #10 [or any other step lower than 20], because I don't want to install everything, but now my game is not working". So we're in a dilemma here, possibly. It worked for you because you decided to pull through all the way until the end, and indeed, if all people did it that way, they'd just have to delete the "Game"-folder (once), before applying the very last DLC in the guide.

In the past I used the following analogy: instead of viewing that TS4 Must-Read guide as a monolithic entity that is "just there", people should try seeing it as a development of many years. The initial guide was written in fall of 2014 IIRC. Since then the game has seen so many technical changes, plus we had an episode with a rogue ex-Moderator here who posted a "poisoned TS4 repack". That moderator was a personal friend of the former administration here, and once I came here and took charge of the daily operations, he *unfortunately* became victim of a large-scale purge, that I felt needed to be done.

#insidebaseball

But back to topic, if you are unsure, use @anadius validator-tool here:
https://www.games4theworld.club/t33486-the-sims-4-validator

If you feel your game is working fine though, then I suppose you're good to go...? I guess the above was an attempt at explaining how that system of G4TW repacks, works. Feel free to post back in case of follow-up questions.
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n
G4TW RETIRED Forum Gatekeeper

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

Confused about Sims 4 installation. [SOLVED] Empty Re: Confused about Sims 4 installation. [SOLVED]

Post by Guest Mon 29 Jul 2019, 22:46

Thank you kindly for the elaborate reply, it makes sense now. I'll use the validator anyway to confirm my installation, but would you say then that I should delete my Game folder again and reinstall the latest patch? Like I said in my last post I deleted my Game folder at step #7 after the toddler update and I'm guessing from what you said that that's really the only time I need to delete it if I'm installing all the way through

Thanks in advance Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Mon 29 Jul 2019, 22:53

Superbpleb wrote:Thank you kindly for the elaborate reply, it makes sense now. I'll use the validator anyway to confirm my installation, but would you say then that I should delete my Game folder again and reinstall the latest patch? Like I said in my last post I deleted my Game folder at step #7 after the toddler update and I'm guessing from what you said that that's really the only time I need to delete it if I'm installing all the way through

Thanks in advance Smile

I'd suggest you still delete the "Game"-folder once more, before applying the last/latest DLC. One issue is that you might still have those python_x33-files, which are known to negatively impact your game/prevent you from playing properly. Maybe there are other remaining old files too, which might prove problematic.

Always a problem with this game, because it's been running for such a long time, and due to (technical) changes you can't always copy/paste new updates over the old stuff, due to these file-remnants...

WhatDidUJustCallMe?
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 30 Jul 2019, 14:36

If these tutorials are so "old" and people don't understand how they should install exactly : D Maybe you can update it then - to make it clear to everyone ???  

For example, I still don't have a clear idea, for example: how to properly install Sims 4 - When I open the Sims 4 RAR in desktop, where to put those files and things "after" installation? Do I delete them , do i put them into some sort of folder ,and do I have to create this folder somewhere first??? 

I would like to do a new clean Sims 4 install on my computer - from the first, because I changed win 7 to win 10 Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Tue 30 Jul 2019, 16:01

Kittekassitar wrote:If these tutorials are so "old" and people don't understand how they should install exactly : D Maybe you can update it then - to make it clear to everyone ??? 

Just because a few individuals are having trouble with the guide, you are concluding that the guide in general is bad? That's a bit of a creative stretch now, don't you think? Smile  Sure, it's not as elegant as if I had the same computer science network software reverse engineering (not sure if that is what the profession is called, but you get the general idea) knowledge such as @anadius or other people here. But within the bounds of my very humble knowledge and experience, I still believe it's an OK guide. In other words: I don't think there is much room for improvement.

And again, similar to the topic creator here, I have a feeling you do not fully comprehend the difficulties of working with a series of repacks that span over nearly 5 years now. You can't just consecutively keep copy-pasting the stuff, because EA changed things multiple times in-between, and the problem is what to do with old files such as the aforementioned python_x33.dll files. Most people will not bother deleting any remnant files, and will just keep copy-pasting new stuff. And again, other people may simply not want to install all the way up to step 20-something.

Besides, your question has nothing to do with installing the game. After installing DLC, you can delete the downloaded stuff, but the better choice would be to simply back them up somewhere (USB-flash or external storage), so that you don't have to re-download them later on.

If that is your only concern, I suppose I can add a notice somewhere that downloaded files can be disposed of, after installing...? I mean, even if you didn't delete them, they would not harm you, except they take up unnecessary filespace on your computer.
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 30 Jul 2019, 16:17

Sorry I didn't mean to offend anyone! (I know it's not an easy job!)
(Just English is not my native language!)-(And I use the Goole translate Very Happy )

So I may delete this first Sims 4 install staff? (all these -setup 1-5 rar´s and setup.exe ,etc. ???) I don't need them anymore?

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Tue 30 Jul 2019, 16:23

Kittekassitar wrote:Sorry I didn't mean to offend anyone! (I know it's not an easy job!)
(Just English is not my native language!)-(And I use the Goole translate Very Happy )

So I may delete this first Sims 4 install staff? (all these -setup 1-5 rar´s and setup.exe ,etc. ???) I don't need them anymore?

I know you didn't offend me (I recognize your username, and you have been posting on and off for a while here now). Haters gonna hate Very Happy  Yes, you can delete the downloads from G4TW.

Or even better: delete all the G4TW downloads after installing the stuff, and back up only your installation folder of "The Sims 4", currently 34.5 GB in filesize after installing all the DLC. So copy that entire folder "The Sims 4", onto an external hard-drive or USB-flash, at the end of installing. For even more safety and less risk of file corruption you can try packing the installation folder in a .rar or .7z archive file (or even an .iso file), and then back up that file.

No matter what you do, the point is that you have the downloads "preserved", if you need to re-install the game again in the future, and you don't need to re-download everything again.
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 30 Jul 2019, 16:33

Thank you Yess, aye lieeke! Dedicated to Carlos Dedicated to Carlos Dedicated to Carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Tue 30 Jul 2019, 16:41

Kittekassitar wrote:Thank you Yess, aye lieeke! Dedicated to Carlos Dedicated to Carlos Dedicated to Carlos

No problem. Red star from Carlos

Confused about Sims 4 installation. [SOLVED] JXN4mGW

Problem solved & topic closed.
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top