Old ® Games4theworld Forum / Archive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Xbox overheating?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Xbox overheating? Empty Xbox overheating?

Post by Admin Fri 06 Aug 2010, 19:25

Hello all,

I'm may planning to buy a Xbox Slim Elite, but I heard a lot of people complaining about the Xbox overheating? First of all, I think this is véry strange, since such a console just shouldn't overheat; it just shouldn't. So, people, is it true or is this problem fixed with the Slim version of the console?
Admin
Admin
G4TW RETIRED Adminator
GΛMΣ MΛƧƬΣЯ / Forum Founder
G4TW RETIRED Adminator GΛMΣ MΛƧƬΣЯ / Forum Founder

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Xbox overheating? Empty Re: Xbox overheating?

Post by Yusifer Fri 06 Aug 2010, 20:11

The Xbox doesn't overheat; the problem that a lot, and I mean, a lot, of people are having is the Red Rings of Death, or Error Code 6#. It's unfixable. It's caused by the parts inside the Xbox being badly placed together, thus the GPU detaches from the CPU, and the games no longer play. You need to force the Xbox to overheat voluntary to reattach the pieces, and this is only a temporary "fix". It completed screws you Xbox in the long-run as it only works four times. You need to ship in your Xbox 360 to Microsoft to fix it; if your warranty is gone, there is no fix, and you'd need to trash it.

I know Slims always seem to have overheating problems. I know the PS3 Slim is apparently terrible for handling heat. I plan to get an Xbox Slim simply because I'm hoping, the hardware having shifted on the inside of the box after all, that the Red Rings of Death will finally be fixed by the manufacturer.

I say go for it. The Xbox 360 normal console is bound to need replacement at least once a year for the average gamer (because of Error Code 6#. My friend's replaced his three times already in just over four years). The Slim shouldn't have this problem, or at least, if it's still there, it should be EXTREMELY rare compared to the overly-common Error Code 6# on the normal box.
Yusifer
Yusifer
G4TW RETIRED Helper / VIP
Discharged with Honors
G4TW RETIRED Helper / VIP Discharged with Honors

Windows version :
  • Windows 7
  • Windows Vista
  • Windows XP

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3; Ragnarok

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri 06 Aug 2010, 20:13

Ok, thanks for the information, Yusifer. Wink

I don't think I'm going to use the Xbox for hardcore gaming, since I hate consoles for life, but more as a Media Player.
Admin
Admin
G4TW RETIRED Adminator

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Yusifer Sat 07 Aug 2010, 07:07

If it's more for media, then either Xbox 360 or PS3 would work fine, pending if you want DVD or BluRay.

If you do plan to play games on-the-side or with company, though, I recommend the Xbox since games come out faster and are of better quality than those of the PS3. Who wants to wait an extra year for a game only to be given a few extra clothing pieces? Definitely not worth waiting so long (this has happened with several games, and it looks tacky).

If media is definitely the only thing you plan to use the console for, then it just comes down to if you prefer BR or DVD.
Yusifer
Yusifer
G4TW RETIRED Helper / VIP
Discharged with Honors
G4TW RETIRED Helper / VIP Discharged with Honors

Windows version :
  • Windows 7
  • Windows Vista
  • Windows XP

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3; Ragnarok

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sat 07 Aug 2010, 10:26

Hi,

Ah, I don't want to watch movies on in, since I already have a DVD player. I just want it so I can watch / listen stuff from my PC, since the new Xbox Slim has wi-fi built in.
I hate it that games for the PC always come when new games for consoles are already released. For example, Red Dead Redemption still isn't out for PC.
Admin
Admin
G4TW RETIRED Adminator

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 05 Oct 2010, 18:10

I know I'm a few months late on this, but in case you haven't bought it yet; the Xboxs don't overheat. People think that because so much heat is coming out of it, the Xbox is even hotter inside.. when in reality it's just cooling down inside a lot faster.

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed 06 Oct 2010, 13:25

Awfulz wrote:I know I'm a few months late on this, but in case you haven't bought it yet; the Xboxs don't overheat. People think that because so much heat is coming out of it, the Xbox is even hotter inside.. when in reality it's just cooling down inside a lot faster.

Hello,

Ok, thanks a lot.
Admin
Admin
G4TW RETIRED Adminator

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 13 Oct 2011, 07:54

For the original Xbox 360, a lot of people were modding the case so that they'd have an exhaust fan directly over the cpu/gpu.. The new model has this adjustment already in place.. My sister picked one up and has had no problems with it at all.. This was back in November 2010.. I haven't had a look inside to see if they've improved on the heatsinks or airways; but having the extra "blowhole" on the housing is a huge help..

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 29 Dec 2011, 14:28

Dunno whether you bought a xbox or not but
- the use of WiFi needs xbox live gold membership which would cost +- 50 euros a year
- Xbox doesn't overheat. Atleast they shouldn't. When a xbox overheats the chance of overheating is just as big in a PS3.
- When you have a xbox down (so not standing but 'lying') you shouldn't but things on the ventilation part. This could cause there's is no possibility for air to come out and this could overheat your xbox.
- You also shouldn't move your xbox with any game/cd in it, this could give scratches at the cd.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 07 Jan 2013, 16:01

Well I got the RROD twice and my Xbox still works! It's an Xbox Elite and I've been using it for 3 years now

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top