Old ® Games4theworld Forum / Archive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New PC randomly freezes :-/

View previous topic View next topic Go down

New PC randomly freezes :-/ Empty New PC randomly freezes :-/

Post by Guest Tue 02 Oct 2012, 04:47

I got a new PC, which isn't even a month old yet, anyway, yesterday for the first time EVER my new PC just froze, couldn't ctrl+alt+delete I had to manually hold in the power button on the tower..
Now today I was on Youtube and went into full screen mode, and again my PC froze! same as above ^ had to manually hold in the power button.
Then when I went to turn it on It didn't boot up for atleast 3 minutes maybe more... Then it started working and hasn't frozen yet...

It seems to work find on most things like games etc, it seems to be the little random things (like going into full screen mode or minimizing something) that causes a freeze.

My specs are:
RAM: 8Gbs
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit (6.1 build 7601)
Processor: AMD FX Quad core processor (4CPUs)~4.2GHz
HDD: 1000GB (1TB) Lastest SATA2 7200RMP HDD
Graphics: ATI HD 7750 1GB DDR5 Graphic Card
The OS boots from a 60GB SSD
PSU: 750W High Current Gamer Power Supply

It's been working fine otherwise, just these 2 random freezes then the really long boot up period that just occurred..
I did a disk clean up, and am doing a virus scan now, so far nothing found...
What can I do to test to see what the problem is?? Please help it's brand new :-/

Back to top Go down

New PC randomly freezes :-/ Empty Re: New PC randomly freezes :-/

Post by Admin Tue 02 Oct 2012, 17:57

Hello,

Since your PC is new, it's always best to contact the store you got the PC from first.
Let's see, did you recently install any new programs?
Admin
Admin
G4TW RETIRED Adminator
GΛMΣ MΛƧƬΣЯ / Forum Founder
G4TW RETIRED Adminator GΛMΣ MΛƧƬΣЯ / Forum Founder

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 02 Oct 2012, 19:22

Try updating your Java & Flash. They are what cause most crashes in youtube. If it fails, make sure you're up to date on Windows updates.

I had an update that made my computer hang for ages, and my PC isn't no Curry's junk!

Go into command prompt in elevated (admin) mode and run "SFC /SCANNOW" its a system file checker that checks the integrity of the files in Windows, makes sure none of them have corrupted.

You can also try backing up documents & All that, and do a clean install of Windows Ultimate (Try a different version if its pirated)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 03 Oct 2012, 02:12

Admin wrote:Hello,

Since your PC is new, it's always best to contact the store you got the PC from first.
Let's see, did you recently install any new programs?

I think I installed 2 new programs the day it started happening, I'm going to try a system restore and see if that helps. It was a custom build computer by people who live more than 1 hour away, so I'm trying to solve it myself, by I've contacted them also..

//EDIT: I ran a scan using command prompt like suggested and there were some corrupted files found, and they were repaired, I'm hoping the freezes will stop now...
I Don't know if the corrupted files fixed anything... just doing a restart took more than 5 minutes, and when the PC freezes I have to do a manual restart (holding in the power button) and it takes 5 minutes to restart as well.. :-/

I'll just add this other problem here while I remember it, see if anyone else has some suggestions:

I have 8GBs of RAM installed going by my dxdiag:
https://i.imgur.com/U0bgu.png
But recently when I've been playing game etc I've gotten a message like this:
https://i.imgur.com/U39s4.png
And then when I open the task manager I see this:
https://i.imgur.com/5woF8.png
and it says the physical memory is only 4079MB, shouldn't it say 8GBs memory and not 4? :-/

Please help me if you can, I seem to be getting a memory error now, and although the CPU is low, the memory is high and once it gets high unless I close every program
it'll stay high. Is there anyway I can get it to say 8GB and use all 8GBs RAM? Or have I mistaken something?

Thanks Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed 03 Oct 2012, 17:15

Hello,

Yes, indeed, the memory should say 8GB, if they really put 8GB of RAM in that thing.
So I think there's a problem with the RAM, since you get a "memory" error and it only shows 4 of the 8GB.
Do you know what kind of RAM they put in there and how much? (E.g. 2 × 4GB or 4 × 2GB)
Admin
Admin
G4TW RETIRED Adminator

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 04 Oct 2012, 02:44

Admin wrote:Hello,

Yes, indeed, the memory should say 8GB, if they really put 8GB of RAM in that thing.
So I think there's a problem with the RAM, since you get a "memory" error and it only shows 4 of the 8GB.
Do you know what kind of RAM they put in there and how much? (E.g. 2 × 4GB or 4 × 2GB)

Yes I have 2x 4GB installed... I'm also looking a doing a clean install of windows 7, and was wondering if I could download the G4TW win7 and install it over my windows 7 ultimate 64 bit version? Or should I maybe choose to install win7 pro in order for it to work? (Since I can't install from boot) Whats your advice if I was to do a clean installation of windows 7? Also is that even possible since I already have another version?

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Thu 04 Oct 2012, 19:04

Hello,

Yes, that is possible, but - I think you knew already - you can't boot from our Windows version, since we forgot to include the boot files.
You can, however, install it while your current OS is running.

Aside from this, your PC not recognizing the other 4GB RAM card, has definitely nothing to do with your OS.
Since it's a custom-built PC, you might want to check the RAM cards yourself or, if you don't have a lot of PC experience, just call the builder again and explain this issue. Tell them 1 RAM card is not recognized and it's causing problems in your OS. (The error etc)
Admin
Admin
G4TW RETIRED Adminator

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male