Old ® Games4theworld Forum / Archive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Asus will NOT let me proceed through game setup!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Asus will NOT let me proceed through game setup! Empty Asus will NOT let me proceed through game setup!

Post by Guest Wed 26 Dec 2012, 15:44

I love this website and the numerous Sims downloads available. I had many other Sims 3 games on my old Toshiba laptop and had them working just fine. I downloaded Ambitions just fine and went to follow the instructions - step one, click the sims3ep02setup.exe . As soon as I click it, it asks if I will let the program sims 3 setup run, and I click yes.

Then this image pops up every single time:

Asus will NOT let me proceed through game setup! 564762_10151313157636182_789579758_n

I am stumped. I have the original Sims 3 game disk and installed and played it. On my old laptop, adding on games from here was not a problem at all. Is there a patch I need to get around this error? Please let me know if there is any hope for me at all!

Back to top Go down

Asus will NOT let me proceed through game setup! Empty Re: Asus will NOT let me proceed through game setup!

Post by Guest Thu 27 Dec 2012, 04:15

You have to extract the files before running the setup.

Back to top Go down

Asus will NOT let me proceed through game setup! Empty Re: Asus will NOT let me proceed through game setup!

Post by Guest Thu 27 Dec 2012, 18:18

hexorcist wrote:You have to extract the files before running the setup.

I extracted the files and the same message still pops up :\

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 27 Dec 2012, 20:23

Right click the icon with the name "The Sims 3 - Ambitions" on your desktop. Select the option that is similar to "Extract to The Sims 3 - Ambitions" (note bold and the \ at the end). Go into the new folder named "The Sims 3 - Ambitions". Double click Sims3EP02Setup.exe.

This error is 100% because the files have not been extracted. It's not an Asus issue - in fact, I'm not even sure how you came to the conclusion that Asus had anything to do with it, but I digress.

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri 28 Dec 2012, 11:21

Hello,

Actually, this specific error is caused by the fact that you did not use WinRAR. Some other program, like 7-Zip and WinZIP (or UnzipLite in your case), tend to mess up the files in such a way that the installation will give such errors.

Please download and install WinRAR from www.games4theworld.org and then try extracting and installing again.

Good luck and please let us know the result!
Admin
Admin
G4TW RETIRED Adminator
GΛMΣ MΛƧƬΣЯ / Forum Founder
G4TW RETIRED Adminator GΛMΣ MΛƧƬΣЯ / Forum Founder

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 28 Dec 2012, 22:05

Admin wrote:Actually, this specific error is caused by the fact that you did not use WinRAR. Some other program, like 7-Zip and WinZIP (or UnzipLite in your case), tend to mess up the files in such a way that the installation will give such errors.

This is incorrect. Exact same file this person was having issues with, 5 different extraction suites - only one is by Alexander Roshal (the owner and maintainer of the RAR file format, not WinRAR). Out of the others, only one (WinRAR) has a license to create rar files, however, everyone has access to the source for decompression directly from Alexander Roshal [who is actually the brother of the person who created the format]. This means that everyone's decompression algorithm should be the same, as indicative by the screenshot below. They are producing the same exact files so it'd be a safe bet to say they are using the same exact algorithm. This error is an installshield error saying "I can't find the other files I need" - which is caused by the extraction suite (any of them that have a GUI, including WinRAR) not extracting all of the files prior to trying to running the executable, or it could mean that the disk was full and the installer could not create the files needed to install the software. The RAR archive format uses CRC to ensure that everything is running smoothly, and unless someone complains of a CRC error I'd expect the issue to be something other than the extraction suite - even then I'd be skeptical unless the archive has been confirmed to not be corrupt (ie: using md5 checksum against a known good copy of the exact same file).

http://s14.postimage.org/j5qu0l1pd/md5sums.png

Asus will NOT let me proceed through game setup! Md5sums

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sat 29 Dec 2012, 21:34

Hello Hexorcist,

I never did much research regarding this error/program, the only thing I know is that I've been recommending WinRAR for Games4theworld .rar files for years and it has fixed this error 9 out of 10 times.

If I'm not mistaken, programs like 7-ZIP actually "open" all (or some) of the folders that are in the .rar file and then extract them all as one folder, which explains the messed up files.
Admin
Admin
G4TW RETIRED Adminator
GΛMΣ MΛƧƬΣЯ / Forum Founder
G4TW RETIRED Adminator GΛMΣ MΛƧƬΣЯ / Forum Founder

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 29 Dec 2012, 22:05

No, it doesn't. The way md5sum works is if the file doesn't exist in the RAR.md5 (which contains the relative path as well as the filename and a hash of every 1 and 0 in the file itself) then it will display a line with the word "FAILED" in it. With this in mind, if any of the files were extracted incorrectly -AT ALL, including path- you would've seen more than just my commands to bash. It is a 100% exact copy between all 5 of the extraction suites - not a single bit (1 or 0) is different.

However, if you double click the file within a GUI you are correct for all four of the suites I tested that have GUIs (the official RAR package is the only one without a GUI) - none of them will extract all of the files prior to opening the file that was double clicked, they will only extract the single file.

Back to top Go down

Post by invalidusername Sun 30 Dec 2012, 04:23

I never extract my installation files before using them, and I've never gotten this problem... Razz
invalidusername
invalidusername
G4TW RETIRED Moderatrix
Discharged with Honors

G4TW RETIRED Moderatrix Discharged with Honors

Windows version :
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims, Assassin's Creed (All), Elder Scolls, Dragon Age : Origins, Harvest Moon, Mario, Zelda, Psychonauts, SimCity, House of the Dead : Overkill, Magic: The Gathering, Saint's Row, Civilization 5, The Witcher

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by ☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠ Sun 30 Dec 2012, 09:42

hexorcist wrote:
However, if you double click the file within a GUI you are correct for all four of the suites I tested that have GUIs (the official RAR package is the only one without a GUI) - none of them will extract all of the files prior to opening the file that was double clicked, they will only extract the single file.

Does that explain the error? Because if it does, it may still make the advice to only use winRAR valid. Simply because we strive to make the instructions as uniform and noob-proof as possible.
☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠
☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠
G4TW SUPER Adminatrix
First Lady / Commander-In-Chief
G4TW SUPER Adminatrix First Lady / Commander-In-Chief

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 30 Dec 2012, 12:25

The instructions should be "Extract the files" regardless of which suite you use, and yes that would resolve the error. Telling people "you get it because you're not using WinRAR" is wrong - and wrong advice is worse than staying silent in my opinion, regardless of what that advice is or how damaging it is or isn't. Now, if the person has no compression suite installed I see no issue saying "you need to extract it with WinRAR" - but to tell someone who has an extraction suite that it's because they did NOT use WinRAR is different.

The only ones who get this error are those who are brand new to extracting files - read the comments on TPB. The only ones who ever say they get this error tell you straight up that they're brand new to it. Not everyone who has been around for a while uses WinRAR (me for example - other than installing it for the test mentioned above I haven't touched that POS software in years) - which explains why you only see this error with people who are brand new to archives. If it was something to do with what suite you extract it with there would be a lot more users complaining in those comments.

Back to top Go down

Post by ☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠ Sun 30 Dec 2012, 13:52

So, what you're saying is that these people aren't extracting the archive, but simply double clicking it and running setup/trying to run setup from the unextracted rar, using a different program than winRAR.
And the advice should be to EXTRACT the file, NOT double click it?
☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠
☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠
G4TW SUPER Adminatrix
First Lady / Commander-In-Chief
G4TW SUPER Adminatrix First Lady / Commander-In-Chief

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top