Old ® Games4theworld Forum / Archive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How to speed up/fix µTorrent downloads. [GUIDE]

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

How to speed up/fix µTorrent downloads. [GUIDE] - Page 2 Empty How to speed up/fix µTorrent downloads. [GUIDE]

Post by Admin Fri 19 Apr 2013, 22:19

First topic message reminder :

Update 2019: since a lot of people these days seem to be having difficulties with uTorrent, you may also consider trying different torrent clients such as Tixati, qBittorrent, Transmission, Deluge, etc. The settings in these clients should not differ all too much from the settings shown below; but in the future we may come up with new guides, for different (other) torrent clients!

A.k.a. we don't recommend using uTorrent anymore, in the year 2019!

- The_gh0stm4n

Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven

Hello everyone,

As promised, here's a little guide on how to configure your Bittorrent client in order to achieve high(er) download speeds in your Bittorrent client. For this guide I've used µTorrent, which I highly recommend using. The instructions will be pretty much the same for all other clients. Some options might have another name though.

The first thing to do is not extremely important, but it's generally recommended to uncheck the Send detailed info when checking for updates (always anonymous) option.
How to speed up/fix µTorrent downloads. [GUIDE] - Page 2 111

As for the Connection tab, check everything as shown below:
How to speed up/fix µTorrent downloads. [GUIDE] - Page 2 210
DO NOT check Randomize port each start and be sure to actually FORWARD the port that you've entered in the Port used for incoming connections box. This guide doesn't describe how to do that, since it's different for all routers. Try this website though: http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/routerindex.htm
Or feel free to contact us if you need personal help, we'd love to help!

Let's move on to the Bandwidth tab. Change the settings as shown below:
How to speed up/fix µTorrent downloads. [GUIDE] - Page 2 45263410
It's very tempting to set a Maximum upload rate, but keep in mind that this will actually slow down your download speed 9 out of 10 times! You 'aint seeding, you 'aint succeeding, as we like to say.
Also uncheck the Apply rate limit to transport overhead and Apply rate limit to uTP connections options.

In the BitTorrent tab, turn off the Enable bandwidth management [uTP] and Limit local peer bandwidth options. Also be sure to set outgoing Protocol Encryption to Forced and check Allow incoming legacy connections, as shown below.
How to speed up/fix µTorrent downloads. [GUIDE] - Page 2 5v4tgt10

Last but not least, in the Queueing tab, you might want to change the following settings:
How to speed up/fix µTorrent downloads. [GUIDE] - Page 2 510
It has nothing to do with your actual download speed, but remember: sharing is caring!

I hope this guide has helped you! If not, feel free to open a new topic in the correct Forum, so we can provide personal help.
Also keep in mind that Port forwarding is very important too, so do that FIRST!

Have fun!

Last edited by Admin on Sun 10 Jul 2016, 23:05; edited 8 times in total
Admin
Admin
G4TW RETIRED Adminator
GΛMΣ MΛƧƬΣЯ / Forum Founder
G4TW RETIRED Adminator GΛMΣ MΛƧƬΣЯ / Forum Founder

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

How to speed up/fix µTorrent downloads. [GUIDE] - Page 2 Empty Re: How to speed up/fix µTorrent downloads. [GUIDE]

Post by Guest Mon 11 Nov 2013, 13:57

How can I apply this on the Mac version?

Back to top Go down

How to speed up/fix µTorrent downloads. [GUIDE] - Page 2 Empty Re: How to speed up/fix µTorrent downloads. [GUIDE]

Post by Admin Mon 11 Nov 2013, 21:45

pammy1120 wrote:im actually using a wireless connection..smart pocket wi-fi.
Hello there,

Perhaps you can find more information here: http://community.vodafone.com.au/t5/Mobile-Broadband/Port-forwarding-not-working-for-me-pocketwifi/td-p/134612
Port forwarding is mostly for upload speed, but it's good to do anyway.

If that link didn't help (please do actually read it), please open a new topic here: https://games4theworld.forumotion.com/f24-software , so we can try to assist you. Thank you!

constermock wrote:How can I apply this on the Mac version?
Hmmm... I'm not sure, don't the options look pretty much the same?

Admin
G4TW RETIRED Adminator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 11 Nov 2013, 21:58

Nope! But I just adjusted the things I could adjust and I do think it's going much faster now though.
Thanks for the fast reply!

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon 11 Nov 2013, 22:09

constermock wrote:Nope! But I just adjusted the things I could adjust and I do think it's going much faster now though.
Thanks for the fast reply!
Hi there,

Then I think it did the trick! Razz
You're welcome, enjoy the high(er) speeds.
Admin
Admin
G4TW RETIRED Adminator

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 03 Jan 2014, 15:29

Was around 500kb before doing this. I can reach 1 mb after doing this!

Back to top Go down

How to speed up/fix µTorrent downloads. [GUIDE] - Page 2 Empty thax u so much

Post by Guest Sun 23 Mar 2014, 11:45

:newfag:   i was really struggling with the downloads Hammertime

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 26 Apr 2014, 22:13

it went from 25kb to like 200
then it went back down to 5.3kb
help what  do i do

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sat 26 Apr 2014, 22:18

nicolecookie18 wrote:it went from 25kb to like 200
then it went back down to 5.3kb
help what  do i do
Hello,

Note that the maximum speed also depends on the amount of seeders and on your internet connection speed provided by your ISP.
Is it a popular torrent? Then the amount of seeders probably isn't the issue.
Admin
Admin
G4TW RETIRED Adminator

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 26 Apr 2014, 22:38

Never mind  Very Happy 
I redid the instructions somethings went back to default.
now its a higher number again.
thank you any way  Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 19 Jan 2015, 15:25

Thanks!!!!!
     from 240 kbps went to 500+ kbps
     but i saw the TCP download rate raising in the charts is this normal?

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Thu 22 Jan 2015, 18:17

Rex.is.now.here wrote:Thanks!!!!!
     from 240 kbps went to 500+ kbps
     but i saw the TCP download rate raising in the charts is this normal?
Hi there,

Yes, of course, because you're downloading with a faster speed now! (So the download rate increases)
Admin
Admin
G4TW RETIRED Adminator

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 20 Oct 2015, 21:11

holy... best setting ever.... from 10kB/s to 1.4MB/s... thanks man...

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 31 Dec 2015, 08:49

i dont really know how to port forward its so confusing

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Thu 31 Dec 2015, 15:15

yourbluemay wrote:i dont really know how to port forward its so confusing
Hi,

Please open a new topic here: https://games4theworld.forumotion.com/f24-software   and provide information about what router brand and model you have exactly.
Admin
Admin
G4TW RETIRED Adminator

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 21 Jan 2016, 18:23

Was about to send this helpful little guide to a friend, but I noticed some of the photos were missing. Or is that just on my end? Just thought ya'll would like a heads up.  Tea 3

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Thu 21 Jan 2016, 21:59

RockSaltShells95 wrote:Was about to send this helpful little guide to a friend, but I noticed some of the photos were missing. Or is that just on my end? Just thought ya'll would like a heads up.  Tea 3

Hello @RockSaltShells95,

Yes, there have been indeed a few reported issues with some of the hosted pictures here. Right now and for me, only the second one out of 3 pictures in the opening post, is missing on my end. But you have the description anyway, of where the option can be found.

"In the BitTorrent tab, turn off the Enable bandwidth management [uTP] and Limit local peer bandwidth options. Also be sure to set outgoing Protocol Encryption to Forced and check Allow incoming legacy connections, as shown below..."

Please wait a little more while until the Admin re-adds the missing picture. Smile  
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n
G4TW RETIRED Forum Gatekeeper

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Thu 21 Jan 2016, 23:43

RockSaltShells95 wrote:Was about to send this helpful little guide to a friend, but I noticed some of the photos were missing. Or is that just on my end? Just thought ya'll would like a heads up.  Tea 3
Hi,

Glad you found this helpful. Smile You're absolutely right though!
Unfortunately the images are missing because of an issue on the (image) host's side. See more information about that HERE.
A lot of images were missing for me on the Forum earlier today too. They seem to show up again now.

Please try again in a day or so. If they are still not up, shoot me a PM and I'll re-upload the pictures for you.

Sorry for the inconvenience!
Admin
Admin
G4TW RETIRED Adminator

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue 02 Feb 2016, 11:51

Magically disappeared pictures have been fixed!
Admin
Admin
G4TW RETIRED Adminator

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 03 Feb 2016, 15:26

I am confused it says to disable Bandwidth management but in the picture it is still enabled, which one do I do.

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Thu 04 Feb 2016, 00:52

CHall10006 wrote:I am confused it says to disable Bandwidth management but in the picture it is still enabled, which one do I do.

Hello,

I believe that was a mistake, but feel free to wait for @Admin's feedback on this. I myself have the box UN-checked. See this here:

How to speed up/fix µTorrent downloads. [GUIDE] - Page 2 UTP3e2d
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri 05 Feb 2016, 23:20

CHall10006 wrote:I am confused it says to disable Bandwidth management but in the picture it is still enabled, which one do I do.
Hi there,

Thanks for that, looks like no one (including me) noticed it until now. Razz
I've updated the screenshot. It should indeed be unchecked:

A wise Admin once wrote:
In the BitTorrent tab, turn off the Enable bandwidth management [uTP] and Limit local peer bandwidth options. Also be sure to set outgoing Protocol Encryption to Forced and check Allow incoming legacy connections, as shown below.
How to speed up/fix µTorrent downloads. [GUIDE] - Page 2 5v4tgt10
Admin
Admin
G4TW RETIRED Adminator

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Sat 06 Feb 2016, 00:01

Though one could also argue this way: technically the text of the opening post was there BEFORE (!) the new pictures were re-added, so the text should be given higher priority than those pictures. Of course (and to be fair Very Happy ) this will mainly be noticeable to users who visit the forum somewhat regularly.

In the end, it's good that the pictures + text match.  Carlos is tha man
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 01 Feb 2017, 16:05

Can you do a Mac Version of this cause it's different on Mac then Windows cause this isn't helpful for Mac users

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Wed 01 Feb 2017, 17:52

D!m3 D!v@ wrote:Can you do a Mac Version of this cause it's different on Mac then Windows cause this isn't helpful for Mac users

Hello and welcome to the Forum @D!m3 D!v@,

Sorry to hear you feel disappointed, but none of us have any meaningful Mac OS-knowledge, and hence we cannot give any support on Mac OS-applications either (and no, it's not easy to find good volunteer Helpers for the Forum if you wanted to say that). We traditionally focus on Windows OS-only, so I'm afraid you will have to seek support in this case from more Mac-specialized communities. I'm sorry again.
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by grieralexander Fri 22 Jun 2018, 23:29

The_gh0stm4n wrote:
pammy1120 wrote:hi..im a bit confused...what am i supposed to put on the maximum speed?

ty.
Hello,

Change all the settings like they are shown in the pictures ! So look at the parts of the pictures that are marked red; then open your uTorrent and find the option that is shown in the picture.

Then just change it to the number that is shown, in the screenshots above.

It shows that I'm seeding but I do not see any upload speeds?
grieralexander
grieralexander
G4TW RETIRED Helper / VIP
Discharged with Honors
G4TW RETIRED Helper / VIP Discharged with Honors

Windows version :
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : Sims 3; Sims 4; Assasins Creed; Rise of Nations; Age of Empires series; Titan Quest; Overlord

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Wed 06 Feb 2019, 20:25

I've put a disclaimer at the top of this guide, that should help (a bit) the people with "I don't get any seeds for The Sims 4" [insert a hundred trillion seed-number here]. A.k.a. uTorrent may have been good in the past, but since I myself even got problems with it - mostly with creating torrents for bigger stuff - I stopped using it. I use qBittorrent, but there are also Tixati, Deluge, Transmission, etc.

grieralexander wrote:
It shows that I'm seeding but I do not see any upload speeds?

Sorry for the belated response, that simply means that nobody is connected to you. If you set up everything correctly including your router/modem settings (port forwarding, maybe configuring any router firewalls), then there is nothing to worry about. The item(s) you are seeding are simply not being downloaded, at the given moment.

It's the same with "Downloading". If you're trying to download a dead torrent with 0 seeds, you're technically not downloading anything either. I don't know about other torrent clients, but uTorrent & qBittorrent still show "downloading" in such a case, as well.
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top