Old ® Games4theworld Forum / Archive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Help with Nvidia control panel crashing.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Help with Nvidia control panel crashing. Empty Help with Nvidia control panel crashing.

Post by Guest Mon 03 Feb 2014, 00:07

I'm having issues with my graphics card control panel, and hoping someone here could give me a little direction. I've tried Nvidia's forums, but they don't seem to have any answers worth a darn. 
I'm not getting the most from my graphics card for my Sims game because I can't control the settings with the Nvidia Control Panel when it crashes seconds after trying to change the 3D settings. The driver is completely up to date, as is the control panel. I've tried reverting back to the previous driver with no luck. Then I updated the driver again using a "clean update" (I think they call it), also with no luck. Those were the only two suggestions on Nvidia's forums. There seems to be no support for problems with this control panel!
I did download the GeForce Experience, but I have no idea if it will help because I can't get my computer to switch to the graphics card from the Intel HD Graphics 4000. I'm under the impression that I can only accomplish the switch using the Nvidia Control Panel.
I run a Nvidia GeForce GT 650M on a HP Pavilion dv7 laptop with Windows 7 64 bit. If more hardware/software info is needed please let me know, and please use layman's terms. I know some tech jargon but I am not fluent! I know how to open the device manager and run dxdiag Very Happy That's about where it ends!
Any suggestions will be more than appreciated, thanks!

Back to top Go down

Help with Nvidia control panel crashing. Empty Re: Help with Nvidia control panel crashing.

Post by J.T. Mon 03 Feb 2014, 10:12

Hello,

I don't have much in mind, but can you download and install Driver Booster (link: http://www.iobit.com/driver-booster.php)? Driver Booster can help you automatically find suitable up-to-date drivers and help you update them.

You should try this and maybe you will have some luck out of it.
J.T.
J.T.
G4TW RETIRED Helper / VIP
Discharged with Honors
G4TW RETIRED Helper / VIP Discharged with Honors

Windows version :
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)

Male

Back to top Go down

Help with Nvidia control panel crashing. Empty Re: Help with Nvidia control panel crashing.

Post by The_gh0stm4n Mon 03 Feb 2014, 12:28

JWall421 wrote:I'm having issues with my graphics card control panel, and hoping someone here could give me a little direction. I've tried Nvidia's forums, but they don't seem to have any answers worth a darn. 
I'm not getting the most from my graphics card for my Sims game because I can't control the settings with the Nvidia Control Panel when it crashes seconds after trying to change the 3D settings. The driver is completely up to date, as is the control panel. I've tried reverting back to the previous driver with no luck. Then I updated the driver again using a "clean update" (I think they call it), also with no luck. Those were the only two suggestions on Nvidia's forums. There seems to be no support for problems with this control panel!
I did download the GeForce Experience, but I have no idea if it will help because I can't get my computer to switch to the graphics card from the Intel HD Graphics 4000. I'm under the impression that I can only accomplish the switch using the Nvidia Control Panel.
I run a Nvidia GeForce GT 650M on a HP Pavilion dv7 laptop with Windows 7 64 bit. If more hardware/software info is needed please let me know, and please use layman's terms. I know some tech jargon but I am not fluent! I know how to open the device manager and run dxdiag Very Happy That's about where it ends!
Any suggestions will be more than appreciated, thanks!

Hello,

Do you get some sort of error message ? And did you re-boot the computer after the "clean un-install" ? If not, you may try repeating the procedure, with the additional re-booting step in between.

If that still doesn't work, there is a more thorough guide here in the opening post, if you want to "embark" on that. But be sure to follow all steps as precisely as possible !

Also, go to your Program files location of NVIDIA; that would be in your case (probably) C:\Program files\NVIDIA Corporation\Control Panel Client.

Inside the folder, right-click on the nvcplui.exe and choose "run as Administrator", but that's more a guess, rather than a real solution.

If you want, keep us updated.

P.S. Unless your driver is REALLY old, there is usually there is no need to update the graphics drivers whenever a new update is released. Unless you always want to be able to *properly* play the latest available games too. Wink  And in your case, I don't think this is the problem. But of course, it won't hurt.

The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n
G4TW RETIRED Forum Gatekeeper

G4TW RETIRED Forum Gatekeeper

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue 04 Feb 2014, 20:48

Hello,

"Reverting" is usually not a good idea, as it might mess up settings.
I recommend trying as follows:

1. Completely uninstall all NVIDIA driver components via the Control Panel. Check to see if there are no leftover programs or drivers. (Your screen resolution will look weird after doing so, but just ignore that)
2. RESTART YOUR PC.
3. Download the latest driver for your GPU here: http://www.geforce.co.uk/drivers/results/71714 (Windows 7, 64-bit)
4. Install the driver. Choose "Custom" and "Clean installation", if possible.
5. After the installation finished, restart your PC again.
6. Now see if that solved your original problem.

Good luck!
Admin
Admin
G4TW RETIRED Adminator
GΛMΣ MΛƧƬΣЯ / Forum Founder
G4TW RETIRED Adminator GΛMΣ MΛƧƬΣЯ / Forum Founder

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 05 Feb 2014, 03:00

The error message I get is only the windows one saying "Nvidia Control Panel has stopped working," then it looks for a solution (none found) and sends a report. I will try your suggestions and report back Very Happy Thanks!

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun 09 Feb 2014, 16:13

Hi there,

Please do so, good luck!
Admin
Admin
G4TW RETIRED Adminator

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 10 Feb 2014, 01:21

DON'T DO THAT!! HP is making drivers for their laptops with dual graphic which allow to run this laptop with 2 GPU (AMD/NVDIA xxxxM and Intel HD xxxx). It's not working because you downloaded drivers from Nvidia. Downloading this drivers can damage your card only on software but sometimes it's difficult to back this changes. If u have dynamic setting of graphic then Intel and Nvidia GPU is working together but if not, you can change GPU in BIOS

P.S: i'm IT and I used to have HP Probook 4540 with dual GPU so i know this problem.

Edit: when you'll install drivers from hp, search for "clean instal" option.

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon 10 Feb 2014, 21:00

Hi there,

You're right, yes. Laptop manufactures create "special" drivers and put them on their website, in the "Support"/"Download Drivers" section.
But the problem with these drivers is that they will not be updated after a while any more and that's where the updated NVIDIA drivers come in handy.
By the way, you can not use both GPU's anyway, right? Why would you want to use the integrated GPU anyway... (Unless there are compatibility issues)
Admin
Admin
G4TW RETIRED Adminator

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top