Old ® Games4theworld Forum / Archive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Re-zipping the installation files - Is it safe to leave out Support folder?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re-zipping the installation files - Is it safe to leave out Support folder? Empty Re-zipping the installation files - Is it safe to leave out Support folder?

Post by Guest Wed 04 Feb 2015, 17:40

Hi.

I am currently burning down a few install RARs I downloaded. (And by the way, I can't thank you enough for providing us all with the download links.) However, many of them are quite big in size.

I noticed The Sims Ultimate Simple Installer on these forums, which sort of made me think of this idea in the first place. However, I've already downloaded all the games I need; I just want to know is it safe to remove the Support folder from the already-downloaded installer RARs I downloaded (from G4TW).

The Support folder contains the super-patcher, Origin installer, readme files and some other EA Help support files.

For example: The Sims 3 Master Suite Stuff I downloaded weighs around 973 MB in size.
When I un-rar it, and re-rar it excluding the Support folder, the final RAR archive is only 88 MB in size.
The Sims 3 Fast Lane Stuff, which contains both PC and Mac game versions updates, had 2,35 GB in size before being shrunk down to just 183 MB!

I am unable to install my game right now, so I can't deliver results for this myself.

Of course, the prerequisites would be that the game has been patched to a version equivalent or higher than the expansion or Stuff pack's base version.

Alongside removing the patcher file, I'm really interested in finding out whether the Origin installer is also obsolete. As far as I remember, I've never had Origin installed on my old computer where I installed all The Sims 3 games (provided by G4TW). The same goes with the support files - whether the installer is going to return errors of not being able to read or find files (I remember the frustration with The Sims 2 installation - how I once experienced "Can't read Support\*.* Try again or uninstall" error).

Can someone look into this? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Back to top Go down

Re-zipping the installation files - Is it safe to leave out Support folder? Empty Re: Re-zipping the installation files - Is it safe to leave out Support folder?

Post by The_gh0stm4n Wed 04 Feb 2015, 17:49

DJ. wrote:Hi.

I am currently burning down a few install RARs I downloaded. (And by the way, I can't thank you enough for providing us all with the download links.) However, many of them are quite big in size.

I noticed The Sims Ultimate Simple Installer on these forums, which sort of made me think of this idea in the first place. However, I've already downloaded all the games I need; I just want to know is it safe to remove the Support folder from the already-downloaded installer RARs I downloaded (from G4TW).

The Support folder contains the super-patcher, Origin installer, readme files and some other EA Help support files.

For example: The Sims 3 Master Suite Stuff I downloaded weighs around 973 MB in size.
When I un-rar it, and re-rar it excluding the Support folder, the final RAR archive is only 88 MB in size.
The Sims 3 Fast Lane Stuff, which contains both PC and Mac game versions updates, had 2,35 GB in size before being shrunk down to just 183 MB!

I am unable to install my game right now, so I can't deliver results for this myself.

Of course, the prerequisites would be that the game has been patched to a version equivalent or higher than the expansion or Stuff pack's base version.

Alongside removing the patcher file, I'm really interested in finding out whether the Origin installer is also obsolete. As far as I remember, I've never had Origin installed on my old computer where I installed all The Sims 3 games (provided by G4TW). The same goes with the support files - whether the installer is going to return errors of not being able to read or find files (I remember the frustration with The Sims 2 installation - how I once experienced "Can't read Support\*.* Try again or uninstall" error).

Can someone look into this? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Hello,

My guess is that you would end up with an error message when trying to install those "shrunk down" installer packages. In the meantime though, we have actually shrunk the downloads ourselves, cutting out only the stuff that is REALLY unnecessary. 

The result is the "Complete Collection" of TS3, with all expansions and stuffpacks (no store items though, yet). If I recall correctly, it has around 23GB filesize.

We mainly removed the old instructions and outdated cracks/patches, but we did NOT remove anything else beyond that, and I personally do not suggest you play around with that stuff, just to save a couple of Gigabytes filespace. Smile  But of course, you may do as you wish, in the end. 

You can get that complete collection, just as any other G4TW release, from this site here:
http://games4theworld.org/downloads.html
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n
G4TW RETIRED Forum Gatekeeper

G4TW RETIRED Forum Gatekeeper

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top