Old ® Games4theworld Forum / Archive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

USB-flashdrive fell into cup of tea.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

USB-flashdrive fell into cup of tea. Empty USB-flashdrive fell into cup of tea.

Post by The_gh0stm4n Fri 20 May 2016, 08:52

Like the topic title says.  Facepalm  Razz

I accidentally made a "bad move" and thereby one of my USB-flashdrives fell directly into a cup of tea and was submerged. After removing it from the cup, I made sure to not use it until I was sure it had dried completely, especially inside. The tea wasn't too hot, and maybe that was one reason why the USB-flash is now working again (for now ?).

I probably just got away with that one, but other & more complex electronic devices (smartphones, etc.) are probably more susceptible to this kind of 'accident'. Did something like that ever happen to you ?
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n
G4TW RETIRED Forum Gatekeeper

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

USB-flashdrive fell into cup of tea. Empty Re: USB-flashdrive fell into cup of tea.

Post by ☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠ Fri 20 May 2016, 11:02

LOL
Maybe that flashdrive just really needed a cup of tea Razz one can imagine ...

I'm prone to accidents like that and I know it, so I'm extremely careful. 
I may have dropped a cellphone in a toiletbowl once, but gosh that was so long ago, there was no such thing as a smartphone during those days. "Luckily" this happened before any "business" had been taken care of on said toilet, and since it was one of those toilets with a "plateau", the phone wasn't submerged at all and I could keep using it, after a thorough wipe-down of course.

It was my first cellphone and I kept it in my back pocket. I don't do that anymore Laughing
☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠
☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠
G4TW SUPER Adminatrix
First Lady / Commander-In-Chief
G4TW SUPER Adminatrix First Lady / Commander-In-Chief

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Female

Back to top Go down

USB-flashdrive fell into cup of tea. Empty Re: USB-flashdrive fell into cup of tea.

Post by Admin Sat 21 May 2016, 12:10

Fortunately not to myself, because I try to be very careful when it comes to that kind of stuff.
But I had someone come to me once with "Admin plz help, I dropped my iPhone in the toilet and it doesn't work any more".
It was a brand new iPhone 6; I think 2 weeks old at most.

Anyway, the trick is to NOT turn it on. I took the whole phone apart, disconnected the battery, motherboard out, screen out, and then put everything in a bag full of silica gel for a few days. After that I cleaned everything with a 96% alcohol solution, including brushing the motherboard with it. (If you don't, the motherboard might rust and fail after a few weeks anyway)
The phone still works. Razz

Same goes for the USB stick, as long as there's no electricity on it, there should not be a problem. Just let it dry for a while, put it in a closed bag with uncooked rice if you can. (It'll absorb the water)
If you think about it, a motherboard is nothing. Just a board. You can drown it in water, as long as you make sure there's no battery connected to it, because that will shorten it. Just water... just a plastic board...
And of course, make sure that you clear the board of all the water afterwards, to prevent rust. After that the board should theoretically still work fine.
Admin
Admin
G4TW RETIRED Adminator
GΛMΣ MΛƧƬΣЯ / Forum Founder
G4TW RETIRED Adminator GΛMΣ MΛƧƬΣЯ / Forum Founder

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Layloria Sun 12 Jun 2016, 18:40

Thats not a mistake, your USB was simply planning to pass into the afterlife in the heavenly pool of tea for glorious uplifting end.
Layloria
Layloria
G4TW RETIRED Helper / VIP
Discharged with Honors
G4TW RETIRED Helper / VIP Discharged with Honors

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3/4; MySims; Minecraft; Zoo Tycoon 2; GTA V; Skyrim; Sherlock Holmes Series

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon 13 Jun 2016, 21:49

Layloria wrote:Thats not a mistake, your USB was simply planning to pass into the afterlife in the heavenly pool of tea for glorious uplifting end.
Why have you not taken Carlos' place as a Moderator yet did you say?

+1 for your beautiful comment. Yess, aye lieeke!
Admin
Admin
G4TW RETIRED Adminator

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 14 Jun 2016, 02:26

Perfect title. If there's ever going to be a topic that screams 'Games4theworld', it's gonna be this one.

Fortunately it has never happened to me. Although I must say, if any electronic is going to die on me for being dropped in liquid, I hope it will be tea.

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue 14 Jun 2016, 09:12

SeoY wrote:Although I must say, if any electronic is going to die on me for being dropped in liquid, I hope it will be tea.
SeoY back from the dead. Cookie from Carlos
Admin
Admin
G4TW RETIRED Adminator

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Tue 14 Jun 2016, 16:52

Layloria wrote:Thats not a mistake, your USB was simply planning to pass into the afterlife in the heavenly pool of tea for glorious uplifting end.

Quite possibly. But I frivolously decided to troll destiny by not following its path. Almost like in this...what was the movie series called ? I think it was Final Destination. I just said "nope, not today". 

USB-flashdrive fell into cup of tea. 1535v2f

And my USB-flash is working fine again.  Carlos is tha man  I tip my fedora.
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Thu 16 Jun 2016, 13:00

The_gh0stm4n wrote:And my USB-flash is working fine again.  Carlos is tha man  I tip my fedora.
All hail King Tea!!!11!111!
All hail King Tea! All hail King Tea!
Admin
Admin
G4TW RETIRED Adminator

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum