Old ® Games4theworld Forum / Archive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rants *Off Topic*

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Rants *Off Topic* Empty Rants *Off Topic*

Post by Guest Thu 09 Feb 2017, 05:00

So, i'm supposed to read one book per marking period in my English class. Thankfully the teacher lets us choose books that interest us. That's how i got introduced to this book You Killed Wesley Payne. On a side note i'm an avid book reader and usually love all the books i have read.
Rants *Off Topic* You-ki10
Looks interesting right. WRONG. This book is embodiment of teenage stereotypes. First fifteen pages and we are introduced to like fifteen cliques including the nerds jocks and populahs (thats how they spell it). As it turn out the main character is also a teenage detective but not a very good one. The school administration is completely useless and is just given bribes. Students wander around with guns like its normal and the principal condones it. Not to mention this book came out in 2011 so its not some book written in the 80's about high school life. Im also one for romance, i love romance but the romance in this book is so forced. There's a subplot in which the main character is trying to get his old girlfriend back for the third time but i think he also likes two other girls? Honestly everything confuses me and makes me feel like i'm on a bad acid trip. Half the slang used in the book is incomprehensible, and this is coming from someone who hears about the new slang the day it comes out. They literally include an index with explanations to the slang words on the back. Oh and don't get me started on how any useless pages there are in this book, there are 40 pages of extras including, college application essays, a listing of all the cliques and how they are related to each other, and 20 pages of the stupid index. I honestly believe the author made hundreds of accounts on goodreads to make it seem like the book is good. Some how it has a 3.4 rating which is waaaaaaaaaaay too high for this book. It deserves more like a 1. This book is a big pile of dog poop and should not be read by anyone. 

tl;dr- Don't read the book You Killed Wesley Payne because it will melt your brain.
FUU! Foreveralone

If you want to rand about something you can put it here doesn't have to be about books, it can be about anything, movies, shows, people, our sad existence, anything 

Back to top Go down

Rants *Off Topic* Empty Re: Rants *Off Topic*

Post by ☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠ Thu 09 Feb 2017, 15:13

whynotbuildahouse wrote: populahs (thats how they spell it). 

I would probably put that book aside upon reading that for the first time Laughing
☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠
☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠
G4TW SUPER Adminatrix
First Lady / Commander-In-Chief
G4TW SUPER Adminatrix First Lady / Commander-In-Chief

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 09 Feb 2017, 17:14

I wish i could but its for the grade

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Thu 09 Feb 2017, 19:36

I didn't like school, and was I glad to step out of the school-building after graduating (back in 2005)! As for the books, the selection of their reading lists is often dubious. But oftentimes you have these books about youth that try to convey some form of 'message', even if it's not immediately obvious. 

One of the most enlightening and difficult-to-read books for me was the The Tin Drum, and I read that in private. The main protagonist comes across as highly unsympatetic, and the language is also very elaborate.

Can't really say anything about this "You Killed Wesley Payne", but I wouldn't blame the author for anything. In the end it's a work of art, and you can't really argue about that (or at least, it wouldn't lead to anything substantial).

Pro tip: try re-reading these books at a later point in life again. Who knows? Maybe you'll think differently about them, when reading them again years later.
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n
G4TW RETIRED Forum Gatekeeper

G4TW RETIRED Forum Gatekeeper

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top