Old ® Games4theworld Forum / Archive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HP Notebook DDR3L SDRAM upgrade?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

HP Notebook DDR3L SDRAM upgrade? Empty HP Notebook DDR3L SDRAM upgrade?

Post by Guest Sun 18 Feb 2018, 06:00

Hi there, I have a HP Notebook I bought around 2 years ago with the following specs: 

• CPU: Intel Core i3 (6th Gen) 6100U / 2.30 GHz
  • Graphics Processor: Intel HD Graphics 520
  • RAM: 6 GB (1 x 4 GB + 1 x 2 GB) Max support 16GB, speed 1600 MHz / PC3-12800 - 1600 MHz, slots quantity 2, empty slots 0
  • 1TB Hard Drive
  • 64 bit operating system, x64 - based processor

I want to add more RAM to make my computer run the games a little bit faster (I am talking TS3, TS4, SimCity) games like that, and of course, so the rest of the computer can run a little bit faster overall. I've been looking at the Kingston's modules but honestly? I have no idea what the hell I am looking at. I am all okay with software but hardware? nope.

https://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Technology-1600MHz-PC3-12800-KVR16LS11/dp/B00CQ35HBQ

That's an example of what I was looking at. 
I don't even know if its the 8GB one I am supposed to be looking at LOL I feel stupid.
At least I have someone that will install the thing after I buy it....

PS: If I need to add more specs, please do let me know and if you can send some examples my way of good RAM modules, please do.

Back to top Go down

HP Notebook DDR3L SDRAM upgrade? Empty Re: HP Notebook DDR3L SDRAM upgrade?

Post by The_gh0stm4n Mon 19 Feb 2018, 05:56

rev22x20 wrote:I don't even know if its the 8GB one I am supposed to be looking at LOL I feel stupid.
At least I have someone that will install the thing after I buy it....

Hello,

It depends on what exactly you want. If you want 16GB at the end, then you can buy 2 of these 8GB modules that you linked. Should be fine, although you may want to "enter your model number to make sure this fits" (on that Amazon site). If you just want those Sims games & SimCity to run fine, then 8GB should be sufficient as well - in which case you could buy 2 of the 4GB modules.

Also, replacing RAM modules in most modern laptops is actually not as difficult as one might imagine. Oftentimes it's a matter of just unscrewing a plastic cover on the bottom of the laptop, and then detaching the modules by 'wedging' the two plastic pieces aside, that keep the module in place. Example screenshot from my own ancient laptop, that I don't use much anymore these days. I've marked the two plastic pieces that you need to spread apart in order to free the module(s).

HP Notebook DDR3L SDRAM upgrade? 20180210

Maybe there are models in which it works differently than shown here, but in my experience that seems a widespread standard. And yes, if you don't feel confident enough to do any such things yourself, it's best to let someone else do it, before you possibly damage anything.

Awesome Emote
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n
G4TW RETIRED Forum Gatekeeper

G4TW RETIRED Forum Gatekeeper

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 24 Jun 2018, 23:44

Holy....thank you so so much! At least now I know what I am looking for!  Why God.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top