Old ® Games4theworld Forum / Archive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Change location of Electronic Arts folder from SSD to HDD.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Change location of Electronic Arts folder from SSD to HDD. Empty Change location of Electronic Arts folder from SSD to HDD.

Post by Guest Thu 28 Jun 2018, 21:26

Greetings to everyone!
I have one ssd and one hdd. I have installed sims 4 on my hdd, but the folder electronic arts with all the mods and saves is installed automatically to my ssd. I want to move electronic arts folder to my hdd, is that possible? I have Windows 7 on my pc.
Thank you!!

Back to top Go down

Change location of Electronic Arts folder from SSD to HDD. Empty Re: Change location of Electronic Arts folder from SSD to HDD.

Post by Guest Thu 28 Jun 2018, 21:52

What you need is a symbolic link. It can be created with "mklink" program built into Windows.

First you need to open command prompt as administrator - open start menu and search for "cmd". Right click on it and run as admin. Type "mklink /d " (don't press enter). Now open Documents, because that's where "Electronic Arts" folder is located. Hold Shift and right click on it, select "Copy as path". Go back to command prompt, right click and paste. Now move your "Electronic Arts" folder to a different place, once again shift+right click -> copy as path, back to prompt, add a space, paste new path. And finally press enter.

For me the command looks like this:
Code:
mklink /d "C:\Users\anadius\Documents\Electronic Arts" "F:\Electronic Arts"

Back to top Go down

Change location of Electronic Arts folder from SSD to HDD. Empty Re: Change location of Electronic Arts folder from SSD to HDD.

Post by The_gh0stm4n Fri 29 Jun 2018, 15:38

Incidentally I remember I wrote about the issue a few years ago here:
https://games4theworld.forumotion.com/t17437-redirecting-the-username-folder-the-sims-3-to-a-different-location

Adding to what @anadius1 mentioned, there are certain risks involved if you're not careful enough (see step #6 of the guide below).

There are also third-party tools that can help with these links; in addition, you can right-click on the Documents-folder and under the Properties look for "location". There you can easily re-direct the folder without necessarily having to create symbolic links. The issue is, this will re-direct your entire Documents-folder, not just the one for The Sims (4).

Personally, I would advise to ask yourself if you really need all this. Unless you are using TONS of mods and CC (I am speaking about several GBs of material), your folder under Documents isn't going to be that big. And if you are running short on space, even with not many CC, chances are you will need to do a general clean-up anyway at some point.

Edit: I also removed the capslock from the topic title; please try doing without this, here. Smile
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n
G4TW RETIRED Forum Gatekeeper

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 29 Jun 2018, 17:10

As far as I know deleting symbolic link doesn't delete it's target. Just tested it.

As for moving whole Documents folder, there's better option for Windows 7 and above:

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Fri 29 Jun 2018, 17:33

anadius1 wrote:As far as I know deleting symbolic link doesn't delete it's target. Just tested it.

Well, the guide was written almost half a decade ago (and in the realm of computer development that is a long time). Maybe they changed something in the meantime. Or I was under a false impression all the time; could also be.  Jelly_2

But isn't that video a (more elaborate) version of what I hinted at, in the previous post?
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 29 Jun 2018, 17:47

The_gh0stm4n wrote:But isn't that video a (more elaborate) version of what I hinted at, in the previous post?
You're right, I misread that part. Oh my...

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top