Old ® Games4theworld Forum / Archive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Facebook Page? [SOLVED]

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Facebook Page? [SOLVED] Empty Facebook Page? [SOLVED]

Post by Guest Sun 24 Feb 2019, 19:57

Sorry, I'm not sure if this is where to post about it but I haven't found anything about it, please feel free to move it where appropriate!

I can't find the FB page anymore, unless I've gone blind.
Has it been shut down? 

Thanks in advance!

Back to top Go down

Facebook Page? [SOLVED] Empty Re: Facebook Page? [SOLVED]

Post by The_gh0stm4n Sun 24 Feb 2019, 20:28

almasy87 wrote:Sorry, I'm not sure if this is where to post about it but I haven't found anything about it, please feel free to move it where appropriate!

I can't find the FB page anymore, unless I've gone blind.
Has it been shut down? 

Thanks in advance!

Hello and thanks for the message,

The thing is, we don't know what happened. We cannot access the page either. I know that sounds strange, but let me try and explain. If I were to give an educated guess, I'd say it was shut down. Not by us, but by Facebook. I don't need to explain why, hopefully. 

But as a matter of fact, the 'resistance' to our platform is becoming more and more apparent, even though the average user may not take notice of it much. Like, for a time our links to the Forum here were shadow-banned (= visible only to the person who wrote a comment or status, but not visible to anybody else). After a while, they were un-banned again. This is just one example, out of many problems that we have been facing as of late.

There have also been rumors circulating that Facebook are now cracking down on (politically) unwanted pages....stuff that specifically runs against the interests of the US government. This is very far-fetched, but there have been reports about other sites being taken down as well.

Again, I can't tell for sure what happened. But there we are. 

I also spoke a little bit with the other people managing the page. As things stand right now, we probably won't be using Facebook anymore. I suppose it was cool to have it, "while it lasted". In the end, you also have to take into account that the page was launched by the old Admin in...I think it was in early 2012. But I don't know, must have been sometime before I myself joined the Forum here. At the time, things were a lot more easy-going. 

Things change, and usually for the worse. What I myself am planning to do in the near future is to try and make more out of the Games4theworldclub YouTube-channel, maybe use that one for certain announcements, etc.  So there you go.
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n
G4TW RETIRED Forum Gatekeeper

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 24 Feb 2019, 22:48

Ah, I see.
I feared it was something like that Sad

I liked it cause it was quicker for me to get notifications that way!
But alas nothing to do!

I'll check the forums more often then and look forward for the youtube channel thing Smile

Thanks!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sim Architect Sun 24 Feb 2019, 23:05

Facebook is so 2012, lol....

I am less and less there, it became too boring and repetitive for my taste, they keep pushing the same stuff over and over and hiding what my friends have to say anyway (or bury in the clutter).

It was good meh while it lasted...
Sim Architect
Sim Architect
G4TW HONORARY Moderator
The Gray Eminence :p
G4TW HONORARY Moderator The Gray Eminence :p

Windows version :
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : Plants vs Zombies, The Sims 3, Cities Skylines, The Sims 4

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 25 Feb 2019, 00:31

Hihi Razz 
That's true, and the amount of ads is also way too much for my liking.

Despite that it sadly remains the first place where all the people I know are gathered Razz 

Maybe one day the MeWe social network will take over xD

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Tue 26 Feb 2019, 00:53

Also:

almasy87 wrote:(...)

I liked it cause it was quicker for me to get notifications that way!

You can access the Forum as a guest user as well, so no need to make an account here necessarily (unless you want to post for Support). Just check back here - in particular the "News" section at the top - around the time there are new updates or DLC.

//EDIT

Just found this here; quite interesting.
https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2018/12/facebook-punish-censorship/577654/
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 26 Feb 2019, 14:40

Is it about Sims 3 only?

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Tue 26 Feb 2019, 19:46

almasy87 wrote:Is it about Sims 3 only?

The message you seem to be referring to was written way back in 2011 by the old Admin; he had this habit of referring to the main content as "The Sims (3)". With the "3" being in parentheses because it was not the only Sims series on here, but the "main one".

The newsletter is for everything about G4TW. Maybe we should rename this newsletter-group as "G4TW fans" or something.
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 26 Feb 2019, 19:52

Thank you ^^ That makes sense, I'll use it then!

Back to top Go down

Post by Unesty Wed 27 Feb 2019, 07:46

I am hoping for the day the social media is dead to be honest. I cannot be the only one who is sick of being used for my personal info. I am sick of seeing the stuff I looked online appearing as ads in instagram, facebook etc. 
Only pass I give is to twitter, It's not owned by facebook, mafia of the social media world. 
I feel like a 70 year old wanting the old days back and I'm just in my twenties.
Unesty
Unesty
G4TW RETIRED Helper / VIP
Discharged with Honors
G4TW RETIRED Helper / VIP Discharged with Honors

Windows version :
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : SWTOR, Sims 2, Sims 3, Spore, Assasin's Creed II & Brotherhood & Revelations, GTA: Vice City & San Andreas, Cities: Skylines

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Wed 27 Feb 2019, 23:21

Unesty wrote:I am hoping for the day the social media is dead to be honest. I cannot be the only one who is sick of being used for my personal info. I am sick of seeing the stuff I looked online appearing as ads in instagram, facebook etc. 
Only pass I give is to twitter, It's not owned by facebook, mafia of the social media world. 
I feel like a 70 year old wanting the old days back and I'm just in my twenties.

The other issue with Facebook is, that it is now asking people to pay (substantial) amounts of money for "post reach". 

In the months preceding this takedown, we've noticed that except for announcements about Sims releases, barely anybody read these status updates anyway. At least that is what the numbers on the statistics-page said.

Because someone above mentioned the "MeWe"-network: should they really become popular in the future, pretty sure they will eventually become like what Facebook is today.
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sim Architect Thu 28 Feb 2019, 08:34

The_gh0stm4n wrote:
almasy87 wrote:Is it about Sims 3 only?

The message you seem to be referring to was written way back in 2011 by the old Admin; he had this habit of referring to the main content as "The Sims (3)". With the "3" being in parentheses because it was not the only Sims series on here, but the "main one".

The newsletter is for everything about G4TW. Maybe we should rename this newsletter-group as "G4TW fans" or something.
Maybe G4TW Club NewsletterCool

Unesty wrote:I am hoping for the day the social media is dead to be honest. I cannot be the only one who is sick of being used for my personal info. I am sick of seeing the stuff I looked online appearing as ads in instagram, facebook etc. 
I would not go that far (myself), but I guess the problem is the way they handle and how they use our personal information. They find out by intense data mining that you might have AFK (away from the keyboard / real world) connections, then suggest you to your "possible friends" who might even be enemies, (ex)co-workers (bosses, human resource people etc) and the likes, simply people that you may NOT want to see.  Evil or Very Mad 

It seems there are new possible networks that might be nicer to us. I am ok with them using my data to offer ME tailored ads, so I won't see, for example, soccer advertisements since I hate sports (sorry, but I do), and perhaps offer me cheap groceries and electronics instead, since I love to buy both things (when I find a good deal of something I want that I can afford).

I am not 70 years old, but you can see in my profile that I am not young either. Living in an off line world was not near as nice as living in the one we have now, specially if you are not a fan of doing things in person or seeing too many people on a daily basis. We used to have to take long lines, go to the bank, to the supermarket and government agencies all in person (maybe a couple of problems solved over the phone, after having to talk to people you don't know, sometime on a complaining manner, since we usually call them because something went wrong, ouch!

Nowadays our computers have color screens, we can play together on line, we can talk on forums like this one and also use social networks. Yes, Facebook is worse and worse with time. I am having a hard time cleaning up my activity history, since they won't erase your activity if you just delete your account, you have to unlike and delete post by post on your activity log, or it will stay there forever!!!  Twisted Evil

Twitter is much nicer, people there are very nice and engaged, it's a much quicker interface, I see everything that people whom I follow posts and you can all see what I post without myself having to pay for it. They won't also randomly censor links and other stuff I post just because I am driving traffic away from them.

Now, you need to judge what you do and how you do it. I don't use my legal name on Facebook for ages, and I also don't use my personal picture there publicly anymore, since I just don't want my face being offered to other people as a product just because I might know them. If I know "you" (someone Facebook believes is my acquaintance, being that a potential friend or enemy) and I want to talk to you, I add you. If I did not bother adding "you", why would they want to force me into???

The_gh0stm4n wrote:

The other issue with Facebook is, that it is now asking people to pay (substantial) amounts of money for "post reach". 

In the months preceding this takedown, we've noticed that except for announcements about Sims releases, barely anybody read these status updates anyway. At least that is what the numbers on the statistics-page said.

Because someone above mentioned the "MeWe"-network: should they really become popular in the future, pretty sure they will eventually become like what Facebook is today.
That's very true. Facebook wants money just to function. What's the point of posting to a page if you also have to pay Facebook to just display your posts to your subscribers?

People in general only seem to care about the downloads, though, it's not a facebook issue if you only get interest when a new release comes up. If you check my YouTube activity you will find out that I only get views on my download related tutorials, the game play videos are usually ignored by almost everybody, maybe a few of my most loyal subscribers and an occasional person here and there.

MeWee seems like a nice idea, perhaps I create a profile there, we'll see.  Laughing

Piece of cake. Piece of cake. Piece of cake. Piece of cake. Piece of cake. Piece of cake. Piece of cake. Piece of cake. 
Tea 1 Tea 1 Tea 1 Tea 1 Tea 1 Tea 1 Tea 1 Tea 1
Sim Architect
Sim Architect
G4TW HONORARY Moderator

Windows version :
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Mon 04 Mar 2019, 17:21

Sim Architect wrote:It seems there are new possible networks that might be nicer to us. (...)

Now, you need to judge what you do and how you do it. I don't use my legal name on Facebook for ages, and I also don't use my personal picture there publicly anymore,

Like I've also explained to the rest of the team & ~Ann~, I believe these "external platforms" just give the people who may be interested in tracking us down, another possible avenue of doing exactly that. I've also used fake profiles on Facebook, but still. Unless a platform has a specific and justified reason to be used by us, it's not worth the time, and maybe risk as well. 

Sim Architect wrote:That's very true. Facebook wants money just to function. What's the point of posting to a page if you also have to pay Facebook to just display your posts to your subscribers?

People in general only seem to care about the downloads, though, it's not a facebook issue if you only get interest when a new release comes up. 

Absolutely right; but I also think it has to do with the generally-hostile climate towards our type of 'activities'. People back in the days used to be a lot more easy-going, in many ways. Today's folks...well, I'll stop at this point. But maybe you can imagine my train of thoughts. Smile  

The e-mail messages that I oftentimes get from people asking me to manually delete their messages or accounts from G4TW, are also an indicator that people - regardless of how they feel about our work - are more aware of the potential problems it can cause down the line, if they are seen as "associated with" or even "following" a platform like us. Which is OK, no worries. (I will still not manually edit or delete anything, "on request", though).

Haters gonna hate
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sim Architect Mon 04 Mar 2019, 20:03

Oh, I agree with you that Facebook may not the the best place to post right now. I am still posting a bit here and there because it's kinda automatized, but I turned messages off and I don't get comments often.

Not sure Facebook does that because of our "nature". It's because they want to be paid. I had legit business pages a year or two ago and Facebook would keep nagging me asking for money to show my posts to people who already liked my page.
Sim Architect
Sim Architect
G4TW HONORARY Moderator

Windows version :
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Tue 05 Mar 2019, 21:06

Sim Architect wrote:Not sure Facebook does that because of our "nature".

It may not have been the main reason, but I still believe it was at least part of the problem. Either way, time for the old Admin's friends to move on*.  Haters gonna hate

OP's question answered, discussion closed.

*I have this prejudice that the vast majority of these Facebook followers were "inherited" from the old Admin, which in itself is interesting, as he essentially stopped posting there in late 2013, after a little less than I think two years of maybe posting, mostly technical status updates ("mediafire Sims 3 account is open again", etc.). As hinted above though, those were different times, in the early 2010s.
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top