Old ® Games4theworld Forum / Archive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Big Brother is Here, and Watching all we do, even outside our browsers!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Big Brother is Here, and Watching all we do, even outside our browsers! Empty Big Brother is Here, and Watching all we do, even outside our browsers!

Post by Sim Architect Sun 03 Mar 2019, 15:27

Hi there! Today I got an ad for "The Umbrella Academy" on my internet browser, even though I never searched for it anywhere but downloaded it yesterday from PopCorn for PC (magnet). How did they find out?

Big Brother is Here, and Watching all we do, even outside our browsers! Screen11

I can't say I am getting scared, but I wonder how much they can see, are they intercepting my internet packets? Are they listening to my PC and / or Tablet Microphones? As long as they can't use that information to hurt us it's ok, but I always felt that those people talking about us being monitored all the time were just exaggerating a bit...

Big Brother is Here, and Watching all we do, even outside our browsers! So-mon10

Cookie from Carlos Cookie from Carlos Cookie from Carlos Cookie from Carlos Cookie from Carlos Cookie from Carlos Cookie from Carlos Cookie from Carlos
Tea 1 Tea 1 Tea 1 Tea 1 Tea 1 Tea 1 Tea 1 Tea 1

Gatekeeper Edit: moved.

- The_gh0stm4n
Sim Architect
Sim Architect
G4TW HONORARY Moderator
The Gray Eminence :p
G4TW HONORARY Moderator The Gray Eminence :p

Windows version :
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : Plants vs Zombies, The Sims 3, Cities Skylines, The Sims 4

Male

Back to top Go down

Big Brother is Here, and Watching all we do, even outside our browsers! Empty Re: Big Brother is Here, and Watching all we do, even outside our browsers!

Post by The_gh0stm4n Sun 03 Mar 2019, 17:20

Has been a thing for quite a while I believe.

Wasn't there a story a while back about someone who did research about some form of cancer, and then he subsequently got adverts about a funeral parlor?
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2989768/Facebook-slammed-advertising-funeral-directors-CANCER-patient-Promotions-appeared-sufferer-Googled-disease.html

There are alternative browsers out there, I myself use TOR on occasion.
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n
G4TW RETIRED Forum Gatekeeper

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

Big Brother is Here, and Watching all we do, even outside our browsers! Empty Re: Big Brother is Here, and Watching all we do, even outside our browsers!

Post by Sim Architect Sun 03 Mar 2019, 18:23

The_gh0stm4n wrote:Has been a thing for quite a while I believe.

Wasn't there a story a while back about someone who did research about some form of cancer, and then he subsequently got adverts about a funeral parlor?
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2989768/Facebook-slammed-advertising-funeral-directors-CANCER-patient-Promotions-appeared-sufferer-Googled-disease.html

There are alternative browsers out there, I myself use TOR on occasion.
Yes, but what I mean is one step further, because I did not browse anywhere for that TV show! I just opened the PopCorn-Time App on my PC, which does not serve me Google Ads neither is in any browser, then clicked on the magnet link inside of it, which took me directly to Tixati...

Got it?

I don't mind it, I just want to know where is the data leak, since I did not use a browser to search for the TV show, but only the app to look for something I had not seen before...
Sim Architect
Sim Architect
G4TW HONORARY Moderator

Windows version :
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Sun 03 Mar 2019, 18:26

Sim Architect wrote:
Yes, but what I mean is one step further, because I did not browse anywhere for that TV show! 

Oh... not good Sad
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sim Architect Sun 03 Mar 2019, 18:55

The_gh0stm4n wrote:
Sim Architect wrote:
Yes, but what I mean is one step further, because I did not browse anywhere for that TV show! 

Oh... not good Sad
Exactly. I wonder how they tracked me. If the Pop Corn App for Windows were presenting Ads, it would make sense, since Google could match the IP with some data that Pop Corn might be sharing with them. But, since it's not working that way, I don't know where the leak is. If it's a "browser front end" thing using Chrome's engine that might me it. Otherwise they would have to be buying that information from my Internet Service Provider or running their audio recognition software.

That TV show is very much out of the scope I usually watch and I only saw it because of the lack of alternatives (I usually like drama, not adventure), the fact that the ad was completely out of scope on a TV show that I found on PopCorn amongst the shows with latest uploads and played it on my computer just yesterday made me wonder.

Funny enough, they keep serving me ads in Dutch, even though their "intelligence" should be good enough to know that I don't speak the language at all, since I always use their translator whenever a page isn't in English or Portuguese. They are so "intelligent" to hunt you for which products you might want, but can't filter out basic stuff like the languages you speak. I remember once being in Sweden and getting all those crazy ads that would not make any sense to me (before the "automatic translation" days), how would they expect for a person to be interested in buying a product when they see a video or ad they can't understand at all?

Now, they love to snoop but they still need to work on making their results a bit more intelligent.

Cookie from Carlos Cookie from Carlos Cookie from Carlos Cookie from Carlos Cookie from Carlos Cookie from Carlos Cookie from Carlos Cookie from Carlos 
Tea 1 Tea 1 Tea 1 Tea 1 Tea 1 Tea 1 Tea 1 Tea 1
Sim Architect
Sim Architect
G4TW HONORARY Moderator

Windows version :
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Tue 05 Mar 2019, 21:28

Sim Architect wrote:Otherwise they would have to be buying that information from my Internet Service Provider (...).

^this option, would be my guess.  What a Face

If you're still using Windscribe or similar VPN, consider doing some casual browsing while being connected. See if you still get these "fitting ad recommendations". Should you at that point indeed get these ads, the leak is probably someplace else.
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sim Architect Wed 06 Mar 2019, 20:54

The_gh0stm4n wrote:
Sim Architect wrote:Otherwise they would have to be buying that information from my Internet Service Provider (...).

^this option, would be my guess.  What a Face

If you're still using Windscribe or similar VPN, consider doing some casual browsing while being connected. See if you still get these "fitting ad recommendations". Should you at that point indeed get these ads, the leak is probably someplace else.
The problem is they don't happen often. 99.999% of the times the recomendations make sense from my browsing history. This was the first time I ever noticed the issue on a clear way.
Sim Architect
Sim Architect
G4TW HONORARY Moderator

Windows version :
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top