Old ® Games4theworld Forum / Archive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HELP - Windows Defender is off, still it deletes my dll files

View previous topic View next topic Go down

HELP - Windows Defender is off, still it deletes my dll files Empty HELP - Windows Defender is off, still it deletes my dll files

Post by Guest Wed 14 Aug 2019, 17:14

I have never had this problem until downloading the Moschino pack. Windows Defender just deletes everything from the Game folder and there is no way to restore the files. Yes, I turned off Windows Defender using the method explained in this site. Huge thanks to anywone who offers their assistance!

[not]The topic has been moved under "The Sims 4 Support". Yess, aye lieeke!

- The_gh0stm4n[/not]

Back to top Go down

HELP - Windows Defender is off, still it deletes my dll files Empty Re: HELP - Windows Defender is off, still it deletes my dll files

Post by The_gh0stm4n Wed 14 Aug 2019, 20:49

Welcome to the G4TW Forums first of all!

If you feel you indeed changed the Windows Defender settings correctly (a.k.a. turned it off), then the next thing that comes to my mind is that you maybe have some other antivirus/antimalware software installed on your PC, which you may not be aware of.

If you look through the folders under C:\Program Files and/or C:\Program Files (x86), do you notice anything un-usual there? Maybe a folder named "Lavasoft", or "AVG", something like that?

Well, at that point I can't be more specific. But I can give a general tip for the future. If you install any "freeware" software programs, be aware when it says "advanced install settings". Most people will just keep clicking on "next", when they install stuff. But the issue is, they overlook things. And typically under these "advanced install settings", there is usually listed a bunch of bloatware: un-necessary programs, that you can tick off. But again, you have to look under the advanced install settings in the first place.

lf it's not your own personal computer, then ask the owner about antivirus software. Sorry I can't help more, but there is "something" on the computer that keeps deleting the items.
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n
G4TW RETIRED Forum Gatekeeper

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

HELP - Windows Defender is off, still it deletes my dll files Empty Re: HELP - Windows Defender is off, still it deletes my dll files

Post by Guest Wed 14 Aug 2019, 22:00

Thank you very much for the advice! 
I did not have another antivirus until today, I played The Sims 4 just fine. I had all the packs from G4TW up until Island Living and I played with Windows Defender turned off. 
However, today I attempted to fix the problem by downloading Malwarebytes, since I read that having another antivirus might prevent Windows Defender from "running in the background". That did not help. I added my Downloads folder and TS4 folder to Malwarebyte's exception list and still nothing. 
The only unusual thing I noticed in my Program Files folder was AuthenTec True Suite, but I doubt it could be deleting my files. 

Do you think it could be because my Windows copy is not activated?

Back to top Go down

Post by Sim Architect Thu 15 Aug 2019, 19:53

I also have problems with a new feature called "Anti Tamper Protection" and I did not find a way around it (I have the anti virus disabled on GPEdit but it still runs in zombie mode).

The only thing that seemed to work for me was to keep restoring / allowing the files manually each time it's blocked / quarantined / removed.

MS does not like us doing what we do, lol... They gotta make their comission from software producers, and it's a side effect of that. Wat.
Sim Architect
Sim Architect
G4TW HONORARY Moderator
The Gray Eminence :p
G4TW HONORARY Moderator The Gray Eminence :p

Windows version :
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : Plants vs Zombies, The Sims 3, Cities Skylines, The Sims 4

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Thu 15 Aug 2019, 20:01

m1m11111 wrote:Thank you very much for the advice! 
I did not have another antivirus until today, I played The Sims 4 just fine. I had all the packs from G4TW up until Island Living and I played with Windows Defender turned off. 
However, today I attempted to fix the problem by downloading Malwarebytes, since I read that having another antivirus might prevent Windows Defender from "running in the background". That did not help. I added my Downloads folder and TS4 folder to Malwarebyte's exception list and still nothing. 
The only unusual thing I noticed in my Program Files folder was AuthenTec True Suite, but I doubt it could be deleting my files. 

Do you think it could be because my Windows copy is not activated?

Apologies for the belated reply!

If you feel that the reason for that is your Windows not being activated, grab the MS toolkit here:

Code:
http://bit.do/eZRKb

And try activating your Windows. Other than that I'm afraid I can't give any further advice. Maybe it is indeed something that is done deliberately by Windows now, without Windows Defender. That would be a huge problem, and a sign of unpleasant things to come.

I have a "Windows 10 Enterprise", but I can't say I am noticing issues on my end. At least not now.
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top