Old ® Games4theworld Forum / Archive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

With 8 GM RAM computer, the game still lags!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

With 8 GM RAM computer, the game still lags! Empty With 8 GM RAM computer, the game still lags!

Post by J.T. Sat 20 Apr 2013, 06:51

Hi Simmers,
This is a discussion topic for you guys to discuss and share possible fix for lags except the ways Lady Eldi said before (e.g. gamesbooster). I borrowed a desktop computer from my mother and test the Sims 3 via this computer. If I install only the Sims 3 base game, it works very smoothly! But after i install EPs, it lags a lot in the University Town. The textures loads very quickly, but the game lags.... Anyone knows how to solve this?
J.T.
J.T.
G4TW RETIRED Helper / VIP
Discharged with Honors
G4TW RETIRED Helper / VIP Discharged with Honors

Windows version :
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)

Male

Back to top Go down

With 8 GM RAM computer, the game still lags! Empty Re: With 8 GM RAM computer, the game still lags!

Post by Guest Sat 20 Apr 2013, 08:04

Standard fixes: Lady ElDi's thread, as I think you're aware of here. Also, Admin's lovely thread here.
I also have a 8GB computer, so one thing I did was give Sims 3 some more RAM to use. There's a file in Game/Bin called Sims3.ini. What I did was open it in Notepad, and change [Resource System]. Mine is now:
[ResourceSystem]
MemoryUsageLimit = 32500000
Lots of zeroes because it's measured in bytes. Smile
I found this possible solution from somewhere, MTS maybe? (Edit: I found it! I encountered the possible fix here, posted by Kytonderoga.) In any case, it said not to use to much memory because regardless of how much RAM you have, Windows uses a significant amount of memory as well.

Though as I said, lag is mostly unavoidable in Sims 3 unless you've got a hella good computer, lol. I still have lag, but through Gamebooster I tend to avoid the worst of it. Smile

Good luck!

Back to top Go down

With 8 GM RAM computer, the game still lags! Empty Re: With 8 GM RAM computer, the game still lags!

Post by J.T. Sun 21 Apr 2013, 12:36

I wasn't allowed to save this Sims3.ini file agter I change it, why?
J.T.
J.T.
Discharged with Honors

Windows version :
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Sun 21 Apr 2013, 12:40

cat2006house wrote:I wasn't allowed to save this Sims3.ini file agter I change it, why?

Right-click on the .ini file and unmark "read only/write protection" (not sure what this is called in English, as my OS is in German).
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n
G4TW RETIRED Forum Gatekeeper

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 22 Apr 2013, 04:56

Carlos G. wrote:
cat2006house wrote:I wasn't allowed to save this Sims3.ini file agter I change it, why?

Right-click on the .ini file and unmark "read only/write protection" (not sure what this is called in English, as my OS is in German).

Oops, sorry! Forgot to mention that. Razz Yes, right-click the file and select "Properties". Then, under the "General" tab, make sure "Read-only" is unchecked. (My OS is English. If yours isn't, the names might be slightly different.)
Hope it works this time!

Back to top Go down

Post by J.T. Mon 22 Apr 2013, 10:44

Didn't help much, but I appreciate your help!
J.T.
J.T.
Discharged with Honors

Windows version :
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 22 Apr 2013, 11:12

I found a solution: Get a better PC.

The game has what... 8? 9 expansions? Of course it lags, there is no "fix" for that, it's just the way it's meant to run on weak or average PC's, after a point (4GB or so) the amount of memory doesn't really matter when it comes to performance.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 22 Apr 2013, 12:29

If you aren't going to give helpful advice or ideas then don't say anything at all, there's just no need.

I have this problem too. I've done everything suggested and I only run about half of the EPs and Stuff packs. My computer is also only 4 months old. It's incredibly annoying to be trying to do something and then have the game freeze for a minute or less. If there is any more progress on how to maybe fix it then I'd love to hear it. Lady Eldi's thread was great, just a shame I still have lag :/

Back to top Go down

Post by J.T. Mon 22 Apr 2013, 14:24

ellisiva wrote:If you aren't going to give helpful advice or ideas then don't say anything at all, there's just no need.

I have this problem too. I've done everything suggested and I only run about half of the EPs and Stuff packs. My computer is also only 4 months old. It's incredibly annoying to be trying to do something and then have the game freeze for a minute or less. If there is any more progress on how to maybe fix it then I'd love to hear it. Lady Eldi's thread was great, just a shame I still have lag :/

Unless someone finds a way to lower the percentage of use of CPU by The Sims 3. This game consumes too much CPU (for me 99-100%)
J.T.
J.T.
Discharged with Honors

Windows version :
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by invalidusername Mon 22 Apr 2013, 14:38

Even with that much RAM, the game will still have lag. It's a 32 bit game, and is actually only designed for so much RAM to be able to be accessed, even on a 64 bit computer.

One thing you could do is apply a couple of NRaas's mods. Overwatch and Errortrap can help.

You can also run the game with no mods at all, except those two above, as mods cause some lag which can get pretty bad if you have a lot.
invalidusername
invalidusername
G4TW RETIRED Moderatrix
Discharged with Honors

G4TW RETIRED Moderatrix Discharged with Honors

Windows version :
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims, Assassin's Creed (All), Elder Scolls, Dragon Age : Origins, Harvest Moon, Mario, Zelda, Psychonauts, SimCity, House of the Dead : Overkill, Magic: The Gathering, Saint's Row, Civilization 5, The Witcher

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by J.T. Mon 22 Apr 2013, 14:48

invalidusername wrote:Even with that much RAM, the game will still have lag. It's a 32 bit game, and is actually only designed for so much RAM to be able to be accessed, even on a 64 bit computer.

One thing you could do is apply a couple of NRaas's mods. Overwatch and Errortrap can help.

You can also run the game with no mods at all, except those two above, as mods cause some lag which can get pretty bad if you have a lot.
I tired but doens't hep. Anyway, TUN3R said before that The Sims 3 EPs are considered as games, which means when we run the Sims 3, the computer runs 10 games at the same time (9EPs). How can I play this game with lower CPU usage and good performance without buying another PC?
J.T.
J.T.
Discharged with Honors

Windows version :
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by invalidusername Mon 22 Apr 2013, 15:05

The EPs are all included in one .exe when ran. So essentially, your computer isn't running 10 games all at once. He's just pointing out that the game uses a lot of resources when running (basically the same as that many games), especially if your graphics are set high, and you have story progression enabled. Anything that your computer has running in the background detracts from what the game can do. That's why gamebooster is highly recommended by us.

The game isn't lag free for me either, so don't think I'm holding out on you about some great secret. Razz I got a brand new laptop from my family for Christmas last year, I got to build it and everything, and still, I can't play the sims smoothly. It does help though, to have a higher end computer. Outside of that, LadyEldi's post is probably going to be the best resource you have in getting rid of lag.

Last edited by invalidusername on Mon 22 Apr 2013, 16:15; edited 1 time in total
invalidusername
invalidusername
G4TW RETIRED Moderatrix
Discharged with Honors

G4TW RETIRED Moderatrix Discharged with Honors

Windows version :
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims, Assassin's Creed (All), Elder Scolls, Dragon Age : Origins, Harvest Moon, Mario, Zelda, Psychonauts, SimCity, House of the Dead : Overkill, Magic: The Gathering, Saint's Row, Civilization 5, The Witcher

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by J.T. Mon 22 Apr 2013, 15:45

Hmm, if that is the case. Then the ones who upload videos to Youtube about the Sims 3 have a really high-end computer with good graphic cards and processors. One of them is even as smooth as a cake when playing the Sims 3. Can u tell me the recommended drivers and recommended graphic cards and processors for playing? thanks!
J.T.
J.T.
Discharged with Honors

Windows version :
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Mon 22 Apr 2013, 16:44

Another small hint:

Download and install MasterController; click on a Sim and go to NRAAS/Master Controller/Intermediate/Remove memories/All
Maybe this can help improve performance a little bit too.

Keep in mind that you should do this with every Sim in your household Smile
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 26 Jun 2013, 13:44

The Sims 3 plumbob for me i can play the game mid smoothly for some reason Very Happy The Sims 3 plumbob

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top