Old ® Games4theworld Forum / Archive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Laptop species.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Laptop species. Empty Laptop species.

Post by Guest Thu 29 Oct 2015, 00:37

Hello, I'll buy a new laptop, it has Nvidia GeForce 820m, 4gb ram and intel core i5.
My boyfriend said that graphics card is very bad and you can't play on this laptop, but on benchmarks and youtube it says it can even run Gta V. I don't think they're wrong, Can't I really play on this laptop?  WhatDidUJustCallMe?

Last edited by Opheliakc on Fri 30 Oct 2015, 15:40; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Laptop species. Empty Re: Laptop species.

Post by Sim Architect Thu 29 Oct 2015, 23:52

Well, I am not sure it's the best video graphic you could have, the "20" at the end of the number makes it sounding like a low end graphics card from NVidia. If you could have something with a "60" or larger number at the end (760, 860, 960, 970 etc) it should be much better, I believe.

I'd advise you to look around (Google) for benchmarks and comparisons. The Sims 4 is not very graphics demanding, I got it running even on a tablet with on board graphics only. Of course, the performance won't be ideal and you may need to lower some graphic options for a better experience.

Other games will be much more demanding (like GTA, as you mentioned).

Honestly, look for the options and compare the prices and the benchmarks, also considering your budget and priorities, of course Wink

Also, check if you can return and get a cash refund without penalties and for how long you can keep/test the laptop before returning it. In Canada some stores like BestBuy use to give you 14 days, if you don't like what you bought, you just put it back in the box and return the item, and they will refund you. You need to see the rules that apply in your place before buying your laptop, to avoid regrets/losses...

I wish you a great deal!

Tea 3 Tea 3
Sim Architect
Sim Architect
G4TW HONORARY Moderator
The Gray Eminence :p
G4TW HONORARY Moderator The Gray Eminence :p

Windows version :
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : Plants vs Zombies, The Sims 3, Cities Skylines, The Sims 4

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 30 Oct 2015, 10:58

Opheliakc wrote:Hello, I'll buy a new laptop, it has nvidia geforce 820m, 4gb ram and intel core i5.
My bf said gpu is **** and you can't play anything with it but on youtube they play even gta v with this gpu.
So, is this laptop really **** or not?  WhatDidUJustCallMe? Why.

GPU is sh*t, RAM is sh*t, and you're being vague about the CPU, i5 is just a model range, they vary from very sh*t to very good. I think all laptops are terrible, but this one is terrible even by laptop standards.

As for GTA V, you ain't running that on this thing. YouTube is full of sh*theads.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 30 Oct 2015, 15:33

Sim Architect wrote:Well, I am not sure it's the best video graphic you could have, the "20" at the end of the number makes it sounding like a low end graphics card from NVidia. If you could have something with a "60" or larger number at the end (760, 860, 960, 970 etc) it should be much better, I believe.

I'd advise you to look around (Google) for benchmarks and comparisons. The Sims 4 is not very graphics demanding, I got it running even on a tablet with on board graphics only. Of course, the performance won't be ideal and you may need to lower some graphic options for a better experience.

Other games will be much more demanding (like GTA, as you mentioned).

Honestly, look for the options and compare the prices and the benchmarks, also considering your budget and priorities, of course Wink

Also, check if you can return and get a cash refund without penalties and for how long you can keep/test the laptop before returning it. In Canada some stores like BestBuy use to give you 14 days, if you don't like what you bought, you just put it back in the box and return the item, and they will refund you. You need to see the rules that apply in your place before buying your laptop, to avoid regrets/losses...

I wish you a great deal!

Tea 3 Tea 3

Hello, Thanks for your answer. I've been searching for 1 week now and this is the only laptop I can bought. And it's very expensive, I live in Turkey and there's no such thing as 14 try days, because noone would buy opened box. And the laptops price is 1800 try, the fact that average salary is about 800 try makes it very very expensive. I'm not about the glory of 60 fps and I looked for benchmarks too and the games I want is at least 30 fps in this graphics card, including Gta V (on low of course). I can play Sims 4 in my current laptop too, my laptop is not bad it's just old, I can play games on it too but like about 5-20 fps and this is not acceptable even for me.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sim Architect Fri 30 Oct 2015, 15:48

Hum... I get the "expensive" meaning, since I am in South America right now.

But... How much MORE expensive would it be for you to get a better machine with 8 GB of RAM (or more) and a better graphics card?

I sold my last laptop (high end / expensive) for what would be about a year's worth of the average Brazilian salary. Laptops are still luxury items (if you get good quality ones), so you are expected to spend more than a few average salary months if you want one, or you will get a low end machine that may be not worth spending your money in the first place (you'd better keep the old one sometimes and wait a bit longer).

I am using a 10 years old computer, I didn't try any gaming in it yet besides Minecraft, which was slow, but playable. I believe Sims 4 will run just fine, since I got it even on a 90 bucks tablet before...

That said, benchmarks are there for you to use them to compare the machine you are going to buy with stuff you already know, so you can check for yourself if the 20% more money will give you 20% more performance (or not).

I had a 2011 laptop that would perform better at encoding video than the expensive laptop I just mentioned above, that I sold about a couple of months ago, and the new machine should be much better, with a RAID 0 array of 3 SSDs, 32GB of RAM etc.

Honestly, if you are looking for performance x cost, maybe you should consider a desktop instead (which would not be portable), but you already have a laptop, so you can use it for basic stuff, and the desktop for gaming and heavier load tasks.

Of course, that's my perspective, and I may be right, I may be wrong, you need to weight the information you find and make your own decision.

It is weird they don't have that kind of return policy in your country. Even in Brazil, if you buy an item on line, for example, you have seven days to return it for a full refund. They may take a month to refund you, but they give you all your money back, it's the law. Canada lets you return items too, but some stores will charge you a restocking fee (exactly because they will have to resell the same item as an open box), others will allow you to return items for a full refund. USA seems to work the same way.

Sorry if I can't assist you any further than that.

I wish you good luck shopping!

Tea 5 Tea 5 Tea 5
Sim Architect
Sim Architect
G4TW HONORARY Moderator
The Gray Eminence :p
G4TW HONORARY Moderator The Gray Eminence :p

Windows version :
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : Plants vs Zombies, The Sims 3, Cities Skylines, The Sims 4

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Fri 30 Oct 2015, 16:07

Opheliakc wrote:
And it's very expensive, I live in Turkey and there's no such thing as 14 try days, because noone would buy opened box. And the laptops price is 1800 try, the fact that average salary is about 800 try makes it very very expensive

That laptop is ridiculously overpriced, if you ask me; at least compared to the "standards" where I live right now. Does it really "have" to be a laptop ? I agree with the others that a desktop might be a better and cheaper option for you. Or at the very least, compare prices, and see if you can get a similar laptop for less money.

That said, this model should be good enough for Sims-franchise games, and games like city-building simulators (Cities XL, Cities XXL). But GTA V or any other more modern and demanding games - even on "lower FPS" ? I'd be surprised if that worked out.

If you can, go for a desktop. Doesn't have to be anything fancy. Just get a recent pre-built system. Good luck ! Smile
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n
G4TW RETIRED Forum Gatekeeper

G4TW RETIRED Forum Gatekeeper

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top