Old ® Games4theworld Forum / Archive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dogz 5/Catz 5: additional install notes & initial walkthrough.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Dogz 5/Catz 5: additional install notes & initial walkthrough.  Empty Dogz 5/Catz 5: additional install notes & initial walkthrough.

Post by The_gh0stm4n Thu 14 Apr 2016, 17:13

Hello all,

The following is an introductory walkthrough for "Dogz5" and "Catz5". I had them both installed a few years ago on my old hard-drive, before it eventually stopped working. Now I started over with re-installing the games.

1) I started with trying to install Catz5, but got the error here.

Dogz 5/Catz 5: additional install notes & initial walkthrough.  Screen13

The installer files of "Catz5" do NOT include such a "Petz5.exe" file, but I decided to look at the files for Dogz5, and those did include such a file. I aborted the installation and started afresh, this time with the installation of Dogz5; following the included instructions, everything went smooth. Tip: when you need to choose an install location, copy and paste the following into the installer prompt. C:\Program Files\Ubi Soft\Studio Mythos\Petz 5. This location is also mentioned in the included instructions for the game. I suggest this because when you choose the default location you might get an error message. Use this particular install location for BOTH games !

When installing Catz5 thereafter, I got this here.

Dogz 5/Catz 5: additional install notes & initial walkthrough.  Screen14

It appears that Catz5 is treated like an extension of sorts. Click on "yes", and finish the installation. After Catz5 finished installing, don't forget to copy & paste the file inside the #Crack-folder of the Petz5-installer, to the location I mentioned above. C:\Program Files\Ubi Soft\Studio Mythos\Petz 5. When prompted, overwrite/replace the file in the destination.

2) In order to get more in-game features, I deiced to download & install the "PetzA-patch", which you can get (for free) from this site here:
http://www.sherlocksoftware.org/page.php?id=6

Click on "Download" on the right, and then choose the version 2.2.5.

Double-click on the downloaded file and follow the on-screen instructions. After installing the patch, you can find the additional options here.

Dogz 5/Catz 5: additional install notes & initial walkthrough.  Screen13

The site that I linked to provides a (brief) description of the features of "PetzA", but I may go into more detail at a later point. For now, this should be enough though.

3) When playing the game, you will need to adopt a pet. You can do so by choosing "Pick a pet", and selecting one from the drop-down menu. I ended up selecting two cats (since in real-life, it can be boring for a cat to be alone Very Happy ).

Once you selected a pet, you will need to click on the button "adopt now", and you'll then need to confirm your choice in the next window. Once you confirmed the choice you will be transferred to your house. If you want to adopt another pet, click on Go to -> Adoption center.

Dogz 5/Catz 5: additional install notes & initial walkthrough.  Screen15

4) At home, I figured that both cats needed a bath, so I clicked on Go to -> Salon. 

Dogz 5/Catz 5: additional install notes & initial walkthrough.  Screen14

There should be a sponge somewhere on the floor, which you can pick up and use to wash/clean the pets. After the bath, there is also a towel with which you can dry the pets. I noticed that after a while, the cats jumped out of the bathtub (most cats - at least in real life - don't like water very much). I'm not sure if "bathing too much" influences the friendship meter between an owner and his pets. According to in-game notices, there is such a friendship meter, though I haven't figured out yet if it's visible to the player or not. Anyhow, I might choose to bath them regularly, but not too often.  Very Happy

5) After the bath comes the playing in the living room. The things in this "suitcase" in the lower left part of the screen show a number of items, such as plant seeds, a few toys and a block of cheese. Not sure yet if these items are customizable, but you can drag them out of the suitcase and onto the floor. Use the left-mouse-button for that.

Dogz 5/Catz 5: additional install notes & initial walkthrough.  Screen15

I was wondering what the Spray-bottle in that inventory was for, and the tip in the bottom of the screen explained it.  Twisted Evil  Haven't had to use it yet though. Between the spray bottle and the green ball in the inventory is a kind of music box, that plays custom music when placed on the floor and if it is interacted with. Also, with the block of cheese I tried luring the mice that were lurking in the holes on the wall, but the cat with the grey-white fur ate all cheese blocks.

WhatDidUJustCallMe?

6) At the end of the introductory walkthrough I wanted to check out if there are savefiles of the game or such. I am not 100% sure if these here are the right ones, but since I could not find anything else, I will take that as truth for the time being at least.

Dogz 5/Catz 5: additional install notes & initial walkthrough.  Screen16

Making a backup of that can be necessary for various reasons, the most obvious one being that in the event of a savegame failure you don't need to start afresh. However, the "PetzA"-patch offers savefile cleaning-functions that help reducing the size of the saves, and before applying the cleaner, it is recommended to back up the saves.

The game is old, as one can see by the looks/graphics, but it can still be quite fun. I may go into more details about in-game functions, at a later point. For now, have fun !

DO NOT POST ANY QUESTIONS OR PROBLEMS IN THIS TOPIC. INSTEAD, PLEASE OPEN A NEW TOPIC IN THE APPROPRIATE FORUM-SECTION, "NON-SIMS SUPPORT"! THANK-YOU-NOTES CAN BE POSTED HERE.
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n
G4TW RETIRED Forum Gatekeeper

G4TW RETIRED Forum Gatekeeper

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top