Old ® Games4theworld Forum / Archive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The application has crashed. The application will now terminate.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The application has crashed. The application will now terminate.  Empty The application has crashed. The application will now terminate.

Post by Guest Thu 12 May 2016, 02:12

I have been having the "The application has crashed. The application will now terminate" For days now. I haven't been to play because I've been in the Pleasentview hood and when I try to go age my sim up to an adult with a birthday cake, it crashes immediately. I've tried more than once and it hasn't changed. I looked up and already ran the game by administrator but it failed to do anything. Please help! I never had any problems with the Sims 2 until now!

Back to top Go down

The application has crashed. The application will now terminate.  Empty Re: The application has crashed. The application will now terminate.

Post by The_gh0stm4n Fri 13 May 2016, 00:19

ivypoison255 wrote:I have been having the "The application has crashed. The application will now terminate" For days now. I haven't been to play because I've been in the Pleasentview hood and when I try to go age my sim up to an adult with a birthday cake, it crashes immediately. I've tried more than once and it hasn't changed. I looked up and already ran the game by administrator but it failed to do anything. Please help! I never had any problems with the Sims 2 until now!

Hello,

Try clearing the caches first of all. Smile  Navigate to Documents\EA GAMES\The Sims 2 and clear the following stuff.

- groups.cache
- accessory.cache
- cigen.package
- also navigate inside the "Thumbnails"-folder and delete all contents there.

If you don't have some of these it's fine, and go on with the ones that you do have. After that, re-start the game and see if the problems persist. Good luck for now ! 
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n
G4TW RETIRED Forum Gatekeeper

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

The application has crashed. The application will now terminate.  Empty Re: The application has crashed. The application will now terminate.

Post by Guest Mon 23 May 2016, 08:52

I have tried that, I'm not sure how long it worked. I'll redo that ago but the crashing seems persistent. I'm going to uninstall and reinstall. But I have a good amount of a lineage and was wonder what all folders do I need to copy/backup before I uninstall and reinstall? Obviously my downloads (which I went through them out and got rid of the faulty ones and the crashing continued) but what others? I'd hate to lose my characters when I 'start over'

Back to top Go down

Post by ☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠ Mon 23 May 2016, 12:31

Hello,

I honestly don't think you have to reinstall at all. But if you insist, you would only have to make a backup of your "saves" folder.
Perhaps you didn't catch all the bad stuff in your downloads, can you try your game without any downloads?
☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠
☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠
G4TW SUPER Adminatrix
First Lady / Commander-In-Chief
G4TW SUPER Adminatrix First Lady / Commander-In-Chief

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Tue 24 May 2016, 06:06

ivypoison255 wrote:I have been having the "The application has crashed. The application will now terminate" For days now. I haven't been to play because I've been in the Pleasentview hood and when I try to go age my sim up to an adult with a birthday cake, it crashes immediately. I've tried more than once and it hasn't changed. I looked up and already ran the game by administrator but it failed to do anything. Please help! I never had any problems with the Sims 2 until now!

ivypoison255 wrote:I have tried that, I'm not sure how long it worked. I'll redo that ago but the crashing seems persistent. I'm going to uninstall and reinstall. But I have a good amount of a lineage and was wonder what all folders do I need to copy/backup before I uninstall and reinstall? Obviously my downloads (which I went through them out and got rid of the faulty ones and the crashing continued) but what others? I'd hate to lose my characters when I 'start over'

Contrary to the very widespread belief, uninstalling and reinstalling apps very rarely fixes things, at least not on Windows OS (not sure how Mac & Linux work here).

If you want to create a backup of your saves and CC, make sure to copy the folder "The Sims 2", located under Documents\EA GAMES.

Also, does the crashing only happen when you try using the birthday cake ? If I recall correctly, some other users mentioned problems with that specific interaction too. If it only happens when using the cake, try avoiding the interaction, even if it reduces the fun in-game...
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 25 May 2016, 06:52

It will sometimes be the birthday cake, sometimes it's just randomly. At first I thought it was duplicated downloads I found in Sims 2 Clean Pack Installer. But when I moved them, and played the game and it played perfectly. I went on and it played for a while before crashing again. >.> I checked again, and a few days prior I had done the 50/50 Where it'd crash when loading the family up. But after I'd divide the CC, BOTH  of the Halves would work fine in came with no crashes. And I was unable to find it (until I took out the duplicates, like I stated). I've been trying to end task any unnecessary background tasks but some just keep coming back. Could it be I'm running with too little memory. Although I never had this problem before.

EDIT: I have went through Clean Installer again and found a duplicate and (so far) it seems to work fine. But I did have just a question of curiosity that I couldn't find the answer online. Does Sudden Pregnancy Death Syndrome still happen in the game? Or has it been immediately been patched with the University patch?

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Thu 26 May 2016, 07:40

ivypoison255 wrote:EDIT: I have went through Clean Installer again and found a duplicate and (so far) it seems to work fine. But I did have just a question of curiosity that I couldn't find the answer online. Does Sudden Pregnancy Death Syndrome still happen in the game? Or has it been immediately been patched with the University patch?

Hello, 

Unfortunately, the only patch I wasn't able to get working with this particular compilation of Sims 2 games was....yes, the University-patch. WhatDidUJustCallMe?  Since I also have the "Ultimate Collection" of The Sims 2 on my Origin-account, I could attempt to compare the file/folder structure between G4TW's compilation and the one on Origin, by means of the tool "WinMerge". But since the folder structure in Origin's version is quite different, and I have no way of knowing if that work is even feasible to do, it can take a while.

It appears to be a rare glitch, and the best I can suggest for now is that you save the game often in the event of pregnancy. Should the sudden death happen, exit the game without saving of course, and then re-load your save.
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 29 May 2016, 03:02

Alrightie, I was just wondering is all~ I think I've figured out my crashing problem. Yesterday, when I started I only had accessories.cache in my ea folder, and when it crashed, I went in to delete them, and found not only the one above, but groups.cache. It never crashed when groups wasn't in there. Does that mean something's seriously wrong? or can I fix it? I can't find anything online.

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Wed 01 Jun 2016, 00:23

ivypoison255 wrote:Alrightie, I was just wondering is all~ I think I've figured out my crashing problem. Yesterday, when I started I only had accessories.cache in my ea folder, and when it crashed, I went in to delete them, and found not only the one above, but groups.cache. It never crashed when groups wasn't in there. Does that mean something's seriously wrong? or can I fix it? I can't find anything online.

These cache files are re-created each time you play the game, and I don't think you can prevent specific cache files from being created there, I'm afraid. WhatDidUJustCallMe?
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 04 Jun 2016, 08:59

Hm. WhatDidUJustCallMe? Alright. I'll just have to keep deleting groups.cache every time it regenerates then, I'm afraid. Sorry, But I have one more question and I've been spending all night while being sick trying to fix it. In all my hoods, on more than one lot when the school bus arrives it gives an error, and says 'bad gosub tree number" I tried going through the recent cc I downloaded, but I took it out, nothing seemed to be the problem. I looked for conflicting mods, came up non. Went through hood checker and the hood was fine. Is there anything I can do? Usually I have to press 'delete' and them click on the children and teens and manually make them walk to school and it's only going to school, people get to work fine, and they get off the bus fine. But sooner or later, the game will crash.

Edit: One more thing, I read that the game as a character file limit, something around 32000 or so. And I tried looking around google but found no answers to if when a sim dies if they still keep their character file, or if the character file would open for let's say, another baby to be born and get it's character file?

Last edited by ivypoison255 on Sun 05 Jun 2016, 21:12; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Had to fix character file number)

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Sat 11 Jun 2016, 19:24

ivypoison255 wrote:Hm. WhatDidUJustCallMe? Alright. I'll just have to keep deleting groups.cache every time it regenerates then, I'm afraid. Sorry, But I have one more question and I've been spending all night while being sick trying to fix it. In all my hoods, on more than one lot when the school bus arrives it gives an error, and says 'bad gosub tree number" I tried going through the recent cc I downloaded, but I took it out, nothing seemed to be the problem. I looked for conflicting mods, came up non. Went through hood checker and the hood was fine. Is there anything I can do? Usually I have to press 'delete' and them click on the children and teens and manually make them walk to school and it's only going to school, people get to work fine, and they get off the bus fine. But sooner or later, the game will crash.

Edit: One more thing, I read that the game as a character file limit, something around 32000 or so. And I tried looking around google but found no answers to if when a sim dies if they still keep their character file, or if the character file would open for let's say, another baby to be born and get it's character file?

Sorry for the late reply @ivypoison255,

But you've actually anticipated most of what I wanted to suggest. As a very last resort, try renaming the folder "The Sims 2", under Documents\EA GAMES. Try for the time being a new savefile and play on. By any chance, were you using any cheats ?

As for the character limit, I'm afraid I can't give an answer to that either. WhatDidUJustCallMe?
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top