Old ® Games4theworld Forum / Archive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Torch Browser & Start.me

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Torch Browser & Start.me Empty Torch Browser & Start.me

Post by Guest Sat 19 Aug 2017, 00:14

I have Torch Browser installed on my laptop and I've had it for years without issue. A few weeks ago, I noticed a thin called start.me when opening a new page. I've tried uninstalling it and reinstalling it, but to no avail. The reason I use Torch is because it has a media grabber (I could download videos - music videos automatically convert to .aac files) and a torrent downloader. 

How do I:

a) Get rid of start.me
or
b) Find a program that downloads torrents and media grab.

Help

Back to top Go down

Torch Browser & Start.me Empty Re: Torch Browser & Start.me

Post by Guest Sat 19 Aug 2017, 00:40

Hey, Very Happy

I'm no expert so I actually had to google the start.me thing, since I thought it was similar to when my chrome was infected with a malware (changing the home page). And apparently that's the default start up page now for Torch. Do ignore this post though if you actually know about this. Haha. This was mentioned at the support page (start.me)

Code:
How do I remove start.me?
Disable start.me by right-clicking on the start.me icon in the top and selecting "Hide in Torch".
Someone also mentioned that they had to revert back to an older version (55.0.0.12137) to make the start.me disappear completely. Alas, I have no idea about the second one. I've been using Freemake Video Converter to download things off Youtube though, and it looks like it supported a couple of other sites but I doubt it'll be useful. 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 19 Aug 2017, 00:46

Thanks, I didn't know that (about start.me). I'll try Freemake and see how it goes but I still need a way to download torrents.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 20 Aug 2017, 11:34

kitty10136 wrote:Thanks, I didn't know that (about start.me). I'll try Freemake and see how it goes but I still need a way to download torrents.
Hmm, like a torrent client or? Cause for chrome if I click a torrent link/magnet it will launch my BitTorrent for me. But I'm guessing that's not the case, since Torch actually have their own torrent downloader (which I think is super cool. how come I don't know about this??). So yeah, I'm sorry though about the torrent thing.

But does downgrading torch gets rid of the start.me? I seriously hope this is not a browser hijack? Maybe you can ask The_gh0stm4n about this.  Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Sun 20 Aug 2017, 12:04

I am using TOR browser (I know that doesn't do anything to help with the original problem, but just putting it out there for the sake of edginess). 

#hatersgonnahate  Haters gonna hate

Edit: to say something useful as well, those custom start pages and search engines often get installed along freeware. Sometimes you have to unfold something like "advanced installation options" to uncheck the installation of custom start pages/search engines. Now if you click too quickly through the installation, because you want to be done with it ASAP, chances are you will miss out on unchecking these mostly unwanted additions. Beware of clicking too quickly!
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n
G4TW RETIRED Forum Gatekeeper

G4TW RETIRED Forum Gatekeeper

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 21 Aug 2017, 21:49

@Ageha I've wanted to try BitTorrent for a while but didn't know if it was safe. 

@The_gh0stm4n I'm using TOR and it looks interesting. Hmmm

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 22 Aug 2017, 16:06

kitty10136 wrote:@Ageha I've wanted to try BitTorrent for a while but didn't know if it was safe. 

Oh, I've actually only used BitTorrent, though the thing with torrents is, it is never really 'safe'. Lol. But so far, I've had no problems with downloading anything or extracting them. I guess the only thing to make sure is that the the 'source' you download them from is trustworthy enough.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 22 Aug 2017, 20:10

Ageha wrote:
kitty10136 wrote:@Ageha I've wanted to try BitTorrent for a while but didn't know if it was safe. 

Oh, I've actually only used BitTorrent, though the thing with torrents is, it is never really 'safe'. Lol. But so far, I've had no problems with downloading anything or extracting them. I guess the only thing to make sure is that the the 'source' you download them from is trustworthy enough.

I use only Kicka** Torrent (now gone) and Piratebay. I also don't download a lot of things so I should be safe. I'll give it a try. Thanks.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 23 Aug 2017, 12:47

kitty10136 wrote:
I use only Kicka** Torrent (now gone) and Piratebay. I also don't download a lot of things so I should be safe. I'll give it a try. Thanks.
Ugh yeah. I was so upset about Kicka** though.  Sad  Hope you can find a torrent client that you like~

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top