Old ® Games4theworld Forum / Archive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For movie lovers like myself...

View previous topic View next topic Go down

For movie lovers like myself... Empty For movie lovers like myself...

Post by Guest Fri 01 Feb 2013, 09:11

Okay, we all know the "What's not to love" flicks. like Jaws, The Matrix, Raiders Of The Lost Ark, The Silence Of The Lambs, The Shawshank Redemption, Once Upon A Time In The West, Psycho, Casablanca, The Good, The Bad And The Ugly, Shane, The Star Wars Trilogy, Se7en, The Lord Of The Rings Trilogy (aka masterpiece of all time), Etc. But what about the not so well known stuff. The hidden jewels that weren't box-office smashes but were still great and entertaining. I understand we all have different tastes (I personally hate comedy. I dunno why) but my goal is to share the wealth we might have overlooked. Please list your favorites and tell why. And/Or make a link to it on IMDB. I'll start:

Along Came A Spider - If Morgan Freeman was white, female and gay. He would be Jodie Foster. Two incredible working class actors that just know how to act and make you forget they are acting. Without having to rely on exceptional looks, special effects or front page covers on The National Enquirer. This film hooked me from frame one and kept me on the edge of my seat until the credits rolled. No major shoot-outs, car chases or explosions. Just a good story and great acting. IMDB users rate it 6.2. I rate it 8.5

Inside Man - Speaking of what's not to love... Denzel Washington, Clive Owen and Jodie Foster in the greatest bank heist ever devised.

Four Seasons Maitre d': May I have your hat, please?
Keith Frazier: No, you cannot! Get your own.

Dalton Russell: This time next week, I'll be sucking down piña coladas in a hot tub with six girls named Amber and Tiffany.
Keith Frazier: More like taking a shower with two guys named Jamal and Jesus, if you know what I mean. And here's the bad news: that thing you're sucking on? It's not a piña colada!

Keith Frazier: Last time I had my johnson pulled this good it cost me five bucks.
Captain John Darius: Five bucks?
Keith Frazier: It was Tijuana. Don't ask.

Back to top Go down

For movie lovers like myself... Empty Re: For movie lovers like myself...

Post by ☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠ Fri 01 Feb 2013, 10:42

Hello,

I'm not a huge fan of movies, but there are a few that I enjoy watching. I've always thought that Deep Blue Sea with Samual L Jackson and LL Cool J was thrilling.
I should download it sometime.

If I think of more, I will post.

☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠
☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠
G4TW SUPER Adminatrix
First Lady / Commander-In-Chief
G4TW SUPER Adminatrix First Lady / Commander-In-Chief

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Thu 07 Feb 2013, 20:01

Alright Kalisa, so you'd like to hear about "not so well known" movies ? Well, I'm afraid that in my case there aren't too many Embarassed. But OK:

In hell : Kyle Le Blanc (played by Jean-Claude Van Damme) witnesses the murder of his wife while in Russia. Because the murderer isn't tried, he takes matters in his own hands...and is then transferred to a prison, where he experiences the brutal life inside, including rapes and organized fightings between inmates.
Le Blanc becomes stronger and stronger until the point that nobody in the prison can beat him. One day he refuses to fight and is punished by the prison wards. The previously rivalling groups of prisoners then unite to take a stand against the prison wards: they all refuse to fight from then on. In the end, Le Blance manages to escape from the prison (with documents that the wards "took care" of many inmates)..and we learn in the end that the prison was closed.

Stalingrad : A German war movie from 1993, it is about a group of German soldiers during the "Battle of Stalingrad" in World War 2. In the beginning these soldiers (and especially their young platoon commander) are depicted as highly motivated and loyal to the Nazi cause. As soon as they arrive in Stalingrad, though, they begin to witness the cruelty of the war - and realize more and more the senselessness of all the fighting and the Nazi ideology in general. Towards the end of the film, the soldiers kill a high-ranking German officer. This, along with Saving Private Ryan, is among my favorite World War 2 movies.

I.D. : A British movie about football (or soccer) hooliganism in England. The story of the film takes place sometime in the 1980s, when a group of four police officers are tasked with infiltrating a "hooligan firm" (a big organized group of hooligans). They manage to do so, but one of the police officers gets so excited about the task, that he immerses himself more and more in the hooligan culture of e.g. heavy drinking and beating up members of other "firms". He later even starts a sexual relationship with the wife of a leading figure in the firm. In the end, when the operation is over, there is basically a breakdown in all of his personal and social life: his wife leaves him, he can't meet the firm's woman again (because she knows about his real identity) and he loses his job.
What I find interesting about this movie is that it radically depicts the course of personality change of that police officer - and the (possible) consequences..

This is England : Again a British movie. The protagonist, a young boy, who has lost his father, experiences the hardship of a life in poverty in Britain (the film hints at the era of Margaret Thatcher in the 1980s). The boy meets a group of Skinheads - with them he experiences some funny (legal) things, which make him briefly forget his poverty. As another skinhead appears (this time it's a racist skinhead), the boy leaves his "old" group and gets drawn to the subculture of fanatic and racist Britsh nationalists. At the end of the movie, one of the racist skins beats up and kills one of the boy's former groupmates. The boy then leaves the nationalists.
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n
G4TW RETIRED Forum Gatekeeper

G4TW RETIRED Forum Gatekeeper

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 01 Mar 2013, 10:53

boondock saints: Fraternal twins set out to rid Boston of the evil men operating there while being tracked down by an FBI agent.

repo the genetic opera: A worldwide epidemic encourages a biotech company to launch an
organ-financing program similar in nature to a standard car loan. The
repossession clause is a killer, however.

Incendies: Twins journey to the Middle East to discover their family history, and fulfill their mother's last wishes. (MindF*ck)

Amélie: Amelie, an innocent and naive girl in Paris, with her own sense of
justice, decides to help those around her and along the way, discovers
love.

Dogma: An abortion clinic worker with a special heritage is called upon to save
the existence of humanity from being negated by two renegade angels
trying to exploit a loophole and re-enter Heaven.

Wristcutters: A Love Story: A film set in a strange afterlife way station that has been reserved for people who have committed suicide.

Delicatessen: Post-apocalyptic surrealist black comedy about the landlord of an
apartment building who occasionally prepares a delicacy for his odd
tenants.

Battle Royale: In the future, the Japanese government captures a class of ninth-grade
students and forces them to kill each other under the revolutionary
"Battle Royale" act.

Fido: Timmy Robinson's best friend in the whole wide world is a six-foot tall rotting zombie named Fido.

Hua Mulan: The epic story of the Chinese girl-warrior, Mulan, who fights to defend her father. (I was in tears)

Snatch: Unscrupulous boxing promoters, violent bookmakers, a Russian gangster,
incompetent amateur robbers, and supposedly Jewish jewelers fight to
track down a priceless stolen diamond.

The Way Back: Siberian gulag escapees walk 4000 miles overland to freedom in India.

Funny Games: Two psychopathic young men take a family hostage in their cabin. (Also MindF*ck)

Martyrs : A young woman's quest for revenge against the people who kidnapped and
tormented her as a child leads her and a friend, who is also a victim of
child abuse, on a terrifying journey into a living hell of depravity.

Cell 211: The story of two men on different sides of a prison riot -- the inmate
leading the rebellion and the young guard trapped in the revolt, who
poses as a prisoner in a desperate attempt to survive the ordeal.

As you can tell I'm also a movie fan- Huge Horror fan- but I'm not a connoisseur, I just simply enjoy movies

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top