Old ® Games4theworld Forum / Archive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Problems after moving files

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Problems after moving files Empty Problems after moving files

Post by Guest Sat 17 Aug 2013, 00:49

I was almost out of space on one of my 2 harddrives, so I moved my "Electronic Arts" and all containing files from C: to D: to try and even out the space. My game didn't work at all when I had the files like this so I moved them back to their original place in C: but since moving them back, my game worlds don't render, they're just black with hints of the word appearing. I have all my graphics on low and it normally works fine but after creating a family and attempting to move them in, my game crashed upon my first command to one of my sims. No error report popped up, the game just wasn't responding or allowing me to try any other actions. All of my custom content is appearing as normal (from what i've seen in CAS anyway) but I don't know how to solve these graphical problems Sad
Anybody know what's happened?

Back to top Go down

Problems after moving files Empty Re: Problems after moving files

Post by The_gh0stm4n Sat 17 Aug 2013, 07:53

Katatonia244 wrote:I was almost out of space on one of my 2 harddrives, so I moved my "Electronic Arts" and all containing files from C: to D: to try and even out the space. My game didn't work at all when I had the files like this so I moved them back to their original place in C: but since moving them back, my game worlds don't render, they're just black with hints of the word appearing. I have all my graphics on low and it normally works fine but after creating a family and attempting to move them in, my game crashed upon my first command to one of my sims. No error report popped up, the game just wasn't responding or allowing me to try any other actions. All of my custom content is appearing as normal (from what i've seen in CAS anyway) but I don't know how to solve these graphical problems Sad
Anybody know what's happened?
Hello,

You are not supposed to move ANY of the game folders of C: to another drive - this will only ruin your game. Wink

The problem is the so-called "registry": inside of it (you might want to call it some kind of "database") there are entries which tell the computer "The game is located on drive C: or any other drive". And if the game is suddenly "not there" anymore, then you will run into problems.

Please, try to make space on your C: drive (un-install unnecessary software). And then try moving everything back to C: again. I hope that works - otherwise we would have to consider a manual clean un-install (which will take some effort and time).

Good luck !
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n
G4TW RETIRED Forum Gatekeeper

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 17 Aug 2013, 15:06

I did move it all back where it was. That's when I ran into the black map view problem. When the game wouldn't run at all, I moved it all back but create-a-family all worked fine once it was moved back to C: Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Sat 17 Aug 2013, 15:26

Katatonia244 wrote:I did move it all back where it was. That's when I ran into the black map view problem. When the game wouldn't run at all, I moved it all back but create-a-family all worked fine once it was moved back to C: Sad
So from what I understand, you can start the game again ?

Go to My Documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3 and delete the following:

-CASPartCache.package

-compositorCache.package
-scriptCache.package
-simCompositorCache.package
-socialCache.package
-plus the contents of the folders "WorldCaches" & "Thumbnails"

Then try starting the game again. You might even try a completely new savegame with new sims and see if the problem has gone.
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top