Old ® Games4theworld Forum / Archive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Resurrecting the iPod Video 30GB (iPod 5th Gen)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Resurrecting the iPod Video 30GB (iPod 5th Gen) Empty Resurrecting the iPod Video 30GB (iPod 5th Gen)

Post by m4dm4n Mon 10 May 2010, 04:23

*Disclaimer* Proceed at your own risk. No warranties implied or intended. I am not responsible for plane crashes, forest fires, zombie outbreaks, earthquakes, floods, famine, telemarketers calling during dinner, broken condoms, or pretty much anything else that could go wrong by doing this*

So, hey guys, m4dm4n here.

I am wanting to let you guys know about a few things I've been doing with broken iPods I've been buying off ebay and craigslist, specifically the 5th gen, the iPod video. I've been buying these iPods with busted hard drives and bad screens for ~$10. I fix them and give them away as gifts, or in my most recent repair, install one in my car and have it connected to my stereo for when I go to work, my wife also has this setup as well for hers.

These iPods
A. - display this image
Resurrecting the iPod Video 30GB (iPod 5th Gen) Broken11<-this is my current one, I received it back on Thurs.
or
B. - iPod will power on, but the screen is either broken or won't display anything, like this
Resurrecting the iPod Video 30GB (iPod 5th Gen) Video-11 <--(Kinda looks like the devil, eh?)

First things first, this part will be about a busted hard drive only, since screens are cheap and easy to replace, well, so are hard drives, but they are more fun.

Well, the first thing you want to do with your iPod is plug it in and power it on, just to see what comes up on your screen (to verify that it matches the description in the auction). 9 times out of 10, the listing is correct. That other 1 out of those 10 usually needs to be reformatted and half the time will need a new drive anyway.

Once you verify that you have a bad hard drive, it's time to open it. Be sure the power is off, and the hold switch is on (orange). And since the one I have is already in poor condition, as far as the case goes, I'm not worried about damaging it, as long as it still works.

You will want to have these following items with you to get this done: Your iPod video (30, 60, or 80GB) of course, a small flat screwdriver or an iPod disassembly tool (which you can find all over the net and helps reduce dents and scratches on the case, but most of the ones you get on ebay will be scratched and/or dented and may not be a big issue for you, which it's not for me), a replacement hard drive or if you are wanting to do as I have in many of these cases, get a compact flash to iPod adapter from Tarkan Akdam *update* super cheap adapters can be ordered from Dino Direct with free shipping world wide, and a compact flash card (I use either 16 or 32GB kingston).

First, you will want to insert your small flat screwdriver in between the faceplate and the chrome back near the headphone jack on top of your iPod. And work your way around to the right side, being very careful not to break any of the clips holding on the faceplate. Working the screwdriver to the bottom right of the iPod, the faceplate should free itself from the back.
Resurrecting the iPod Video 30GB (iPod 5th Gen) 2010-010 Resurrecting the iPod Video 30GB (iPod 5th Gen) 2010-011 Resurrecting the iPod Video 30GB (iPod 5th Gen) 2010-012

Next, you will want to be very careful not to try to pull the 2 halves apart, because the back plate holds the battery and the headphone port, and both are connected to the faceplate by 2 small flat orange cables. We want to disconnect the long one (the battery cable) from the bottom near the dock connector. Just pull up on it gently and it should slide right out pretty easily. Then you can flip the faceplate to lay face down to the right of the backplate, that's all that's needed to be done to get to the hard drive.

Resurrecting the iPod Video 30GB (iPod 5th Gen) 2010-013 <--The hard drive is on the right, in the faceplate.

Here we only have 2 more steps to getting that little beast out.

Flip the hard drive back towards your dock connector and out of your faceplate.

Resurrecting the iPod Video 30GB (iPod 5th Gen) 2010-014 Resurrecting the iPod Video 30GB (iPod 5th Gen) 2010-015

Then we just need to use that same small screwdriver and flip the brown clip on the PCB to release the hard drive cable.

Resurrecting the iPod Video 30GB (iPod 5th Gen) 2010-018

and pull the cable and hard drive toward the top of your faceplate,
unsticking the cable from the dock connector and freeing that bad hard
drive.

And this is what you are left with.
Resurrecting the iPod Video 30GB (iPod 5th Gen) 2010-019 Resurrecting the iPod Video 30GB (iPod 5th Gen) 2010-020 and you can either toss this out, keep it as a souvenir, or recycle it. I recommend the last 2.

Installing your hard drive or compact flash adapter and card is the exact reverse of this process. You'll have to connect your iPod in iTunes to restore it and format the new drive.

Last edited by m4dm4n on Thu 13 May 2010, 23:06; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : Added disclaimer. 5/13 added new source for iPod to cf adapter)
m4dm4n
m4dm4n
G4TW RETIRED Moderator
Discharged with Honors

G4TW RETIRED Moderator Discharged with Honors

Favourite games : The Sims 3, Red Eclipse, Nexuiz, Fallout 3/New Vegas, Regnum Online: Warmasters

Male

Back to top Go down

Resurrecting the iPod Video 30GB (iPod 5th Gen) Empty Re: Resurrecting the iPod Video 30GB (iPod 5th Gen)

Post by m4dm4n Mon 10 May 2010, 04:49

Now, since I really dislike Apple, especially since they require you to use iTunes to even attempt to use it with any media. Also, I use Linux primarily at work and at home, so I need a player that will work with those systems too.

There are many options and firmwares to go with:

Rockbox - doesn't require iTunes, it can read from folders created on the hard drive and plays DOOM, allows for some extreme customization of the interface, basic PDA functions
iPod Linux - doesn't require iTunes, can read from folders created on the hard drive, plays Doom, and can function as a really tiny computer, allowing document creation, among other things
The original iTunes and Apple firmware on Windows or OSX or a combination of all 3, rockbox and iPod linux can run side by side with the original Apple firmware and each other.

Since I have never used my 30GB video for actual videos, I use Rockbox and have customized the hell out of the interface, play Doom while at work (it gets boring waiting on stuff being reviewed and looked over and waiting on critiqued projects), and hooked up to my stereo in my car with the rockbox voice pack installed, that reads off my file and folder names in a very Hawking-esque voice so I don't have to divert my attention while driving (which is neat).

I recommend anyone with an older iPod to try out Rockbox, you'll either love it, or hate it, but at least you tried something new. And now you'll have a working 5th gen iPod that is back to working like new, and plenty of love left to give.
m4dm4n
m4dm4n
G4TW RETIRED Moderator
Discharged with Honors

Favourite games : The Sims 3, Red Eclipse, Nexuiz, Fallout 3/New Vegas, Regnum Online: Warmasters

Male

Back to top Go down

Resurrecting the iPod Video 30GB (iPod 5th Gen) Empty Re: Resurrecting the iPod Video 30GB (iPod 5th Gen)

Post by Admin Mon 10 May 2010, 16:26

Well, thanks a lot for the great guide. It's completer than complete. ^^

You say "iPod Video" - looks like they only have that one in the US, since we don't have it here in The Netherlands. I think I once heard something about it, that they don't have it here.
Admin
Admin
G4TW RETIRED Adminator
GΛMΣ MΛƧƬΣЯ / Forum Founder
G4TW RETIRED Adminator GΛMΣ MΛƧƬΣЯ / Forum Founder

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by m4dm4n Mon 10 May 2010, 18:40

It's the 5th gen iPod. Here in the states it was called the iPod video, so it could go by another name in your area. You can find them on ebay for dirt cheap regardless of where you live. Other models can be modded and/or repaired in the same manner as well.
m4dm4n
m4dm4n
G4TW RETIRED Moderator
Discharged with Honors

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Narong30 Mon 10 May 2010, 22:08

wow, cool brother.
btw, u are playing something that should not played by a CLOWN .
hahaha
Narong30
Narong30
G4TW RETIRED Moderator
Discharged with Honors

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)

Favourite games : Call Of Duty ( 4,6 ) , Warcraft 3 frozen throne ( Dota )

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by m4dm4n Tue 11 May 2010, 00:49

narong30 wrote:wow, cool brother.
btw, u are playing something that should not played by a CLOWN .
hahaha

Lol, and what would that be?

Btw, I'm not a fan of clowns, just Captain Spaulding.
m4dm4n
m4dm4n
G4TW RETIRED Moderator
Discharged with Honors

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by m4dm4n Tue 29 Jun 2010, 10:39

Here's a question for you saranya, why would I need an iPhone 4 if my Nexus One can do things so much better and offer TRUE multitasking?

The reasons I bought the Nexus One:

1. 3.7in, 800 x 480 resolution AMOLED screen, with crazy high contrast ratios and popping colors and amazing picture quality.

2. Multi-touch.

3. Google Maps Navigator, better than anything going the iPhone, even the pay-for-GPS programs for the iPhone.

4. 5MP camera with LED flash, no need for another camera on my phone that I can only use with one app (and only on WiFi for that matter). If I wanted/needed a video calling cell, I would have got an Evo. Geo tagging has been there the entire life of Android 2.0.

5. Gorilla glass screen. See engadget for the hard fail the iPhone 4's "laminated glass" screen is.

6. I can hold my phone the way I want and still make calls.

7. Wallpapers since Android 1.0 (Android in general). Animated/live wallpaprers.

8. True multitasking, not pause to RAM, not audio only apps.

9. Android 2.2, built in tethering, apps2sd built in.

10. Not locked into iTunes, or a specific app store.

11. User replaceable battery. Expandable/removable memory.

12. Unlocked from the factory. No hoops to jump through, no carrier lock-in.

13. Apps are not required to be built with Google specific tools.

14. The look and feel can be completely changed without having to jump through hoops.

15. Rooting>jailbreak.

16. Multiple web browsers, not just Safarti and Opera.

17. Google sky, for all us star gazers out there.

18. Built in Google Talk and Google Voice.

19. Extreme usability in all major social networks and Google accounts.

20. Majority of the apps in the market aren't clones of other apps. Seriously, how many fart apps could you possibly need to choose from?

21. Not from Apple.

Now, maybe I'm a little harsh on Apple for locking their devices in to iTunes and Apple only services/software, it works for some people (or should I say some people work for it), but it is not for me. I want to use and modify my phone as I see fit.

Now, unless you are going to talk about an iPod repair, or ask about software, please do not post here again with iSpam.
m4dm4n
m4dm4n
G4TW RETIRED Moderator
Discharged with Honors

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue 29 Jun 2010, 14:13

Looks like m4dm4n really hates Apple. But, m4dm4n, I agree with you on most of the points, but I think the problem is; people don't really care about the functions of the iPhone, they just want it, because everyone else has it too and it's cool to have.
But yeah, Apple sucks on a lót of points, but still everyone wants their products.
Admin
Admin
G4TW RETIRED Adminator
GΛMΣ MΛƧƬΣЯ / Forum Founder
G4TW RETIRED Adminator GΛMΣ MΛƧƬΣЯ / Forum Founder

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 12 Feb 2012, 02:37

When you buy apple your not only paying for the quality but the little apple logo on the front and the brand name Apple. Sucks. But i think its worth it! Cool

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top