Old ® Games4theworld Forum / Archive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Windows 8.1 32-bit. [SOLVED]

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Windows 8.1 32-bit. [SOLVED] Empty Windows 8.1 32-bit. [SOLVED]

Post by Guest Fri 19 Dec 2014, 16:00

I could only find Windows 8.1 64-bit on the download site. Anyone know where I can find the 32-bit version?

Back to top Go down

Windows 8.1 32-bit. [SOLVED] Empty Re: Windows 8.1 32-bit. [SOLVED]

Post by Guest Fri 19 Dec 2014, 16:34

From what I've seen they don't have a 32 bit version of Windows 8.1.
I think the image can be modified to install the 32 bit version but I don't know what happens with the activation in that case.

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Fri 19 Dec 2014, 18:21

AlwaysSimming wrote:I could only find Windows 8.1 64-bit on the download site. Anyone know where I can find the 32-bit version?

//MOVED

Why would you need "only" a 32-bit system though ?

The major difference between 32-bit and 64-bit Windows is that in 32-bit systems you can assign a maximum of 2GB (of your total available RAM) to "user applications", like games, software, etc. Even if you have a high-end gaming machine with 16 or more GB of RAM, your games and software will only be able to use 2GB for these games/software. Which - for more modern games - is not quite enough anymore.

64-bit systems don't have that restriction, which makes 64-bit systems the standard for the average user. Which in turn doesn't leave 32-bit OSes much practical benefit (besides usages in offices, light multi-media, and such).
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n
G4TW RETIRED Forum Gatekeeper

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 19 Dec 2014, 22:59

because currently I have Windows 7 in 32-bit. I was not sure if I upgraded to 8.1 the transfer from 32-bit to 64-bit would be okay or mess anything up. I would prefer 64-bit honestly.

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Fri 19 Dec 2014, 23:03

AlwaysSimming wrote:because currently I have Windows 7 in 32-bit. I was not sure if I upgraded to 8.1 the transfer from 32-bit to 64-bit would be okay or mess anything up. I would prefer 64-bit honestly.

If your hardware is strong enough (i.e. you have at least of 4GB of RAM or more), then you can/should switch to a 64-bit Windows. Though...there may be some "specialties" with the upgrade option. I never tried that one myself and I would actually recommend you do a fresh install of a new Windows OS, but feel free to try the upgrade, too...
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 19 Dec 2014, 23:20

I am going to try the upgrade and see what happens! I have already installed so much on this partition. But! If that does not work I will do a fresh install.

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Fri 19 Dec 2014, 23:33

AlwaysSimming wrote:I am going to try the upgrade and see what happens! I have already installed so much on this partition. But! If that does not work I will do a fresh install.

Sure, keep us posted about your progress.
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 20 Dec 2014, 04:23

Okay! So, everything is working perfectly! Smile I now have access to all of my RAM. But, here is a question...it keeps asking me to login to my Microsoft Account. I do have one...however, should I login using my normal one?

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Sat 20 Dec 2014, 21:37

AlwaysSimming wrote:Okay! So, everything is working perfectly! Smile I now have access to all of my RAM. But, here is a question...it keeps asking me to login to my Microsoft Account. I do have one...however, should I login using my normal one?

That seems to be a specialty of Windows 8, which I'm unfamiliar with, sorry (still using Windows 7 Ultimate x64, and I'm more than happy with it). You may wait for someone else's reply though.
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon 22 Dec 2014, 22:49

Hi,

Glad to hear it works!
You can use your Microsoft account as your Windows login, but you might want to use a local ("normal" Windows) account instead.
More information on how to create a local account in Windows 8 can be found here: http://www.hanselman.com/blog/HowToSignIntoWindows8Or81WithoutAMicrosoftAccountMakeALocalUser.aspx

(Or if you've already linked your Microsoft account: http://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-switch-your-windows-8-1-log-in-to-a-local-account/ )

Good luck!
Admin
Admin
G4TW RETIRED Adminator
GΛMΣ MΛƧƬΣЯ / Forum Founder
G4TW RETIRED Adminator GΛMΣ MΛƧƬΣЯ / Forum Founder

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 22 Dec 2014, 23:43

Great! Smile I just made a different Microsoft account for my PC. Good to know though if I ever decide I want to remove it.

Thank you!

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue 23 Dec 2014, 00:03

Hello again,

You're most welcome. Smile
Is there anything else we can currently help you with, or can we consider this Mystery solved ?
Admin
Admin
G4TW RETIRED Adminator
GΛMΣ MΛƧƬΣЯ / Forum Founder
G4TW RETIRED Adminator GΛMΣ MΛƧƬΣЯ / Forum Founder

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male