Old ® Games4theworld Forum / Archive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I've been caught downloading from here.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

I've been caught downloading from here. Empty I've been caught downloading from here.

Post by Guest Fri 10 Aug 2018, 17:28

Hello. I am.. not really that old, 15 to be exact. My internet company is Charter Spectrum. So, I downloaded The Sims 3 UC, The Sims 2 UC, and The Sims 1 UC. My father recieved 6 letters days ago from "EA". I've seen these types of threads, but I'm shook. Can my parents go to jail if I download again? I don't want that on my conscience. If so, what VPN do you recommend that is free, and supports torrenting?
I also use uTorrent.

Back to top Go down

I've been caught downloading from here. Empty Re: I've been caught downloading from here.

Post by The_gh0stm4n Fri 10 Aug 2018, 17:44

DistrictToTheFuture wrote:Hello. I am.. not really that old, 15 to be exact. My internet company is Charter Spectrum. So, I downloaded The Sims 3 UC, The Sims 2 UC, and The Sims 1 UC. My father recieved 6 letters days ago from "EA". I've seen these types of threads, but I'm shook. Can my parents go to jail if I download again? I don't want that on my conscience. If so, what VPN do you recommend that is free, and supports torrenting?
I also use uTorrent.

//MOVED

See the discussion here about VPN services:
https://www.games4theworld.club/t32958p25-best-vpn-services#191914

What can happen is that the ISP will terminate the contract. I don't know what the situation is like in America, but in Europe actual contract terminations are rather rare.

That being said, I would be highly suprised if they started mass-terminating contracts now. I am not necessarily saying you should continue downloading through your regular IP address, but I also think these "threatening letters" mostly function on a psychological level.

Alternatively, use ZLOrigin for your Sims-stuff.
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n
G4TW RETIRED Forum Gatekeeper

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

I've been caught downloading from here. Empty Re: I've been caught downloading from here.

Post by Guest Fri 10 Aug 2018, 18:10

As far as I understand torrents, people like EA can only see your IP when they themselves are downloading the same torrent.
I've been caught downloading from here. Torrent-ip_orig
Example of IP's downloading a specific torrentfile (In this case a 100% legal torrent)

When they know your IP and the name of the Internet Service Provider (ISP) then they can ask your ISP to reveal the details of the owner of that particular IP.

In my country (The Netherlands) such a request must be accompanied by a Court order.
No Court order, no details will be given by the ISP
You will be notfied by your ISP (and not EA) about such a request.

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Fri 10 Aug 2018, 20:01

DistrictToTheFuture wrote:Hello. I am.. not really that old, 15 to be exact. My internet company is Charter Spectrum. So, I downloaded The Sims 3 UC, The Sims 2 UC, and The Sims 1 UC. My father recieved 6 letters days ago from "EA". I've seen these types of threads, but I'm shook. Can my parents go to jail if I download again? I don't want that on my conscience. If so, what VPN do you recommend that is free, and supports torrenting?
I also use uTorrent.

I also wanted to add that virtually all services that are suited for masking your torrenting activities, need to be paid for. Windscribe has a free plan, with a monthly download limit I believe. Maybe that could get you started.

Other than that, ask your parents if they were willing to pay for that VPN service.

Then again, such a service is going to benefit you most if you torrent a lot. Otherwise, as said, try using ZLOrigin or grab the direct download links of these Sims 4 updates, that we post these days.
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum