Old ® Games4theworld Forum / Archive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gaming PC

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Gaming PC Empty Gaming PC

Post by Guest Mon 01 Sep 2014, 16:30

Hey guys, Very Happy
I want to purchase a gaming PC soon(6 months Razz) and am seeking help from the experts(you guys). Just some information on good specs, I know just about enough about these things to kinda understand the "computer" language Very Happy Razz
I would appreciate any tips/information regarding this!
Thanks in advance to everyone Hammertime

Back to top Go down

Gaming PC Empty Re: Gaming PC

Post by Guest Mon 01 Sep 2014, 17:14

Hi there! Smile

There was actually a question very similar to this one just yesterday, and Carlos gave a very thorough answer that I think you should read:
https://games4theworld.forumotion.com/t17669-computer-specifications#121323

This is some basic info about the specs you should look for. But if you have a more specific question don't doubt to ask about it! Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Mon 01 Sep 2014, 17:42

ellajohnson wrote:Hey guys, Very Happy
I want to purchase a gaming PC soon(6 months Razz) and am seeking help from the experts(you guys). Just some information on good specs, I know just about enough about these things to kinda understand the "computer" language Very Happy Razz
I would appreciate any tips/information regarding this!
Thanks in advance to everyone Hammertime

//MOVED

Hey Ella,

I did send you a .pdf guide on that kind of stuff ? Razz  But yes, first question: do you really need a strong machine ? A high-end gaming machine is only useful for you if you really play A LOT on the computer, otherwise it's just a waste of money, and electrical energy too.

In your case, I would maybe go for a pre-built ("normal") computer, that is strong enough for TS4, TS3, and maybe some other "contemporary" games too. Razz  Please post back on here, so that we can maybe suggest a configuration that suits you. Smile
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n
G4TW RETIRED Forum Gatekeeper

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 01 Sep 2014, 18:45

Thanks for replying guys! Very Happy Really appreciate it! Wink
Most important information I forgot to mention is to run TS3+all EPs+all SPs and TS4 smoothly and that's the reason I'm getting it.
@SeoY; I'm looking for a gaming PC preferably, I'll look at it though, thank Wink
@Carlos; Yes you did indeed send me a PDF(don't scold me Razz) about that stuff but I'm not making it myself and I want it to function well which I think "normal" computers wouldn't do so yeah.... Smile
I would really appreciate anyone's help....in advance Very Happy
Thanks

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Mon 01 Sep 2014, 19:30

ellajohnson wrote:Thanks for replying guys! Very Happy Really appreciate it! Wink
Most important information I forgot to mention is to run TS3+all EPs+all SPs and TS4 smoothly and that's the reason I'm getting it.
@SeoY; I'm looking for a gaming PC preferably, I'll look at it though, thank Wink
@Carlos; Yes you did indeed send me a PDF(don't scold me Razz) about that stuff but I'm not making it myself and I want it to function well which I think "normal" computers wouldn't do so yeah.... Smile
I would really appreciate anyone's help....in advance Very Happy
Thanks

OK, what about the price range/budget Ella ? How much money can you spend on such a computer ? Razz
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 02 Sep 2014, 00:50

Probably around $900, is that not enough for what I want? Sad
EDIT: I don't know if I mentioned it but I'm not getting a laptop, I'm getting a desktop.

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Tue 02 Sep 2014, 00:56

ellajohnson wrote:Probably around $900, is that not enough for what I want? Sad
EDIT: I don't know if I mentioned it but I'm not getting a laptop, I'm getting a desktop.

I know you wanted a desktop. Wink  And yes, I think for $900, you should be able to buy/build a decent desktop. Check back here tomorrow or in the next few days for a suggestion on parts...
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 14 Sep 2014, 07:38

Hello Ella, I am no expert but I have built quite a few desktops. So you are interested in a gaming desktop for 900? You said you are not building it yourself? Does that mean you are looking to buy a prebuilt machine or is a friend going to assemble the machine for you? As far as CPU's go I would say go with an Intel and you have 2 options: Core i7 or Core i5. They are both quad-core, they have four processing cores, however the i7's have hyperthreading. If you do not need any crazy processing power save the money and get an i5. The current microarchitecture is called "Haswell" and the series number starts with 4. If you want to overclock the CPU you should get an unlocked CPU which is noted by the K at the end of the number such as a Core i5 4670K. If you don't want to overclock go with a locked CPU such as the Core i5 4670, it has built in turbo-boost to 3.8GHz. The socket of the CPU is what you need for compatibility with a motherboard, as far as Haswell goes it is Socket LGA1150. Now that you know the socket you have to decide what form factor, or size, motherboard you want. For a small tower you need a Micro-ATX form factor to fit inside a small case however all large towers should be drilled to fit a Micro-ATX board. A regular size board is just ATX and if you plan on running multiple graphics cards you will need an ATX form factor board to fit everything. Now you need to pick a chipset for the motherboard, the most recent is the 97 series. If you have an unlocked CPU you should get a Z series or an X series but if you go with a locked motherboard you should go with an H series. So look for an LGA1150, H97, ATX motherboard. Next is RAM, i'm not sure exactly what your needs are but if its just casual gaming 4GB of RAM should be enough, you should look for DDR3-1600 with CASL (CAS Latency) 9. For a hard drive how much space do you need? Look for a hard drive that is 7200 RPM with a 64MB cache in a 3.5" form factor and is SATA 6GB compatible. Next is the video card, how powerful of a GPU are you looking for? An NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 series with 1GB of RAM should be enough for casual gaming. Next up is a power supply, you want to look for a PSU with one 12v rail and use a wattage calculator to find out how much wattage you need. For a build like this 450 should be more than enough. All that is left is an Optical drive and a case. Assuming you get an operating system at 100 and a case at 100 you are looking at around 800-850 total. Message me for a part list. Hope this helps.

//EDIT

You might also want to buy a case fan or two to add onto your case for better airflow, the average size fan mount is 120mm so you cannot go wrong with that size. If you prefer a quiet machine look for a low decibel or dB rating however the tradeoff is usually a lower air output or CFM, cubic feet per minute.

//HELPER EDIT: Please do not double post, edit your post like here.
Thank you for your understanding.

Shamrock

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Mon 29 Sep 2014, 02:27

Hey Ella,

Sorry for the late reply, but I didn't really get to much in the past couple of weeks. Are you still interested in this topic...?

First, if you don't feel confident enough, you should rather look for a pre-built PC in that price range. These "services" that order the parts and build PCs aren't necessarily cheap. Unless you have a friend who assembles the parts for you, you should indeed go for a pre-built. Personally, I believe that actually selecting the right parts is more crucial than the actual assembly of the computer, but yes. Razz 

Also, I have a different opinion on a few things, compared to what the previous poster said. First, there isn't much point in "Intel"-based configurations, unless you have tons of money, lol. I'd rather suggest an AMD-based configuration. About the RAM, 4 GB are not really enough anymore, for most modern games. You need to take into account that e.g. Windows 7 alone needs approximately 1.5 GB of that RAM. Which means your games can use a maximum of about 2.0 GB of RAM. (the remaining RAM is used for other background "user applications", like any anti-virus programs, and other smaller stuff). It's better to have a computer with AT LEAST 6 GB of RAM nowadays.

As for the power supply, if you google for the parts/do enough research you can actually find more than enough information on how many Watts each part of the computer needs...no need for any ultra-precise "wattage calculation", since that shouldn't be necessary for the average person. And of course, no need to BUY any operating system, either (just pirate a Windows OS from Games4TheWorld).

I'm actually reluctant to suggest a particular configuration in your case, but here it goes (note: it might be a bit too strong for your purposes, but there are possibilites to "tweak" around that). Very Happy 

CPU:                       AMD FX-8350
CPU Cooling system:  Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
Motherboard:           ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0
RAM:                      AMD Radeon R9 Gamer Series 8GB
Hard-drive:              Western Digital "Caviar Black" 1TB (HDD)
GPU:                      (PowerColor) AMD Radeon R9 270 2GB GDDR5
Case:                     NZXT Phantom Black/Green ATX "Full Tower"
Power Supply Unit:   Corsair CX 750 Watt
Optical Drive:          ASUS DRW-24B1ST

All these things, taken together, would cost about $850 (USD). There is potential in saving more, of course. While that system would probably be a bit too strong for your purposes, the only real "weakness" in that configuration - in my opinion - is the internal hard-drive; you could use an "SSD" drive, along with a HDD drive. The SSD-partition can be used for games, the operating system files and other software, while the HDD partition can be used for mass storage of music, videos, etc. SSD drives are "faster", which is the reason people install programs and games on them. The disadvantage though is that SSD drives are damn expensive, and have less storage space than HDD drives. For the "average" person, I think a single HDD (with 1 or 2TB) should suffice.

About the other stuff, like mouse, keyboard, and the screen...you can /should be able to use the ones from your old computer, too. Or ask your mom for more funds... Razz  But these things shouldn't cost too much.

Yes, that would be a very quickly "assembled" configuration. Any alternative ideas or suggestions are welcome of course. But to get back to the Intel vs. AMD issue...AMD is pretty much comparable in terms of performance to Intel. But AMD is much cheaper. 

The only thing in my opinion that speaks "in favor" of Intel is that Mac OS appears to run much more stable on Intel-based configurations...but I don't assume you want to install Mac OS anyway on a custom machine. Wink  

If you are even a little bit confused because of what I just wrote, then it might be better to go for a pre-built machine though. Good luck Ella ! Smile 

//EDIT

Yes, the configuration I listed may be comparable in terms of price with the one from the previous poster, but it's much stronger too.

Tea 4
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top