Old ® Games4theworld Forum / Archive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Creating Ultra High End PCs

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Creating Ultra High End PCs Empty Creating Ultra High End PCs

Post by Guest Sat 20 Dec 2014, 21:22

So i want to create the most powerful PC that can be use on High demanding games,

but how? so many to choose.

Back to top Go down

Creating Ultra High End PCs Empty Re: Creating Ultra High End PCs

Post by ☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠ Sun 21 Dec 2014, 10:39

Hello,

I would look at the recommended system requirements for the most demanding game you want to play and collect the hardware according to that. 
Though I think a mid-high end pc will do the job and won't cost you an arm and a leg. You really don't have to go over the top. Unless you have plenty of money, then by all means go ahead Laughing
First thing to decide is whether you'll want AMD or Intell (or Mac?).
☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠
☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠
G4TW SUPER Adminatrix
First Lady / Commander-In-Chief
G4TW SUPER Adminatrix First Lady / Commander-In-Chief

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 21 Dec 2014, 14:37

intel

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Mon 22 Dec 2014, 00:17

Lady ElDi wrote:First thing to decide is whether you'll want AMD or Intell (or Mac?).

Mac (computer) = an overpriced and overhyped combination of hardware parts, virtually always based on Intel architecture, and with a "fancy" case. Haters gonna hate  

If you really wanted to run Mac OS on a computer, you could (theoretically) do so on your standard custom-built desktop PC, provided it has an Intel-based CPU and motherboard (I can't confirm whether it will also work on AMD-based parts, but I wouldn't rely on that, since virtually all Mac computers have Intel parts).

Or run it in a virtual machine, like I did on my old Intel-based desktop PC.

Very Happy

storeguy wrote:intel

OK, now I'll ask you WHY. Why exactly Intel ? Tell me what your decision is based on.
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n
G4TW RETIRED Forum Gatekeeper

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 23 Dec 2014, 13:25

I don't like Macs

//EDIT

Is it possible to have Quad Titan Z SLI, and a 32 Gigabyte of RAM.....

and an intel core i7 that's 4GHz or up

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Fri 26 Dec 2014, 22:34

storeguy wrote:I don't like Macs

//EDIT

Is it possible to have Quad Titan Z SLI, and a 32 Gigabyte of RAM.....

and an intel core i7 that's 4GHz or up

Again, why Intel ? (I'm deliberately asking this question). Because of all the "cool" advertising ?

Besides that, almost everything is "possible" (if you keep in mind the basics, like a strong enough power supply unit, and a compatible motherboard/CPU combination). The question is if you are willing to throw out that much money for that. 
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sim Architect Sat 27 Dec 2014, 16:08

Nice topic!

Well, I would start with a dual processor motherboard, so you can have 2 i7 processors (maybe two 5th generation 6 cores i7s like the 5820K), 128 GB or more of RAM (so you can run a RAM Disk), I guess you can find around about the best video cards you can afford and get those 4 running parallel, there are many video card reviews around showing the amount of processing they can do).

Also, Maybe I'd get a few PCIex SSD's and would make a nice RAID array between them, for extra performance, he he he, and some nice 4TB drives for storage (as many you need, it depends if you are going to store lots of FULL HD or 4K/8K video, that usually take tons of space).

It depends on what you need, want, and can afford.

I have a pretty good machine that I am parting with, since i am leaving Brazil in a couple of months and I want to go back to mobile computation... It's a single i7-4820k (4 cores) with 32GB of DDR3 2400 CL10 (Quad Channel), Asus P9X79 Pro Motherboard, Video Zotac GeForce GTX 770 AMP! Edition with 2GB, 2 SSDs aData with 256GB each (I wish I had four, since my "C" drive is full already) running at 550 (read) and 530 (write) each (multiply by two, since they are on RAID 0, on board SATA controller won't give more performance than that, sadly), a 3TB Hard Drive and other ammenities.

I have been quite happy, but having 3 or 4 way SLI would be great, since my videos would render much faster (they render ok, but you know how we are always craving for more). Also, it would be awesome to have 128 GB and a no-break (that's something I would REALLY ADVISE if you plan on using RAMDISK and even if not, if your machine is expensive), so I could exprience with RAM Drives!

Well, those are my two cents on the question! Happy shopping, it's fun!!!
Sim Architect
Sim Architect
G4TW HONORARY Moderator
The Gray Eminence :p
G4TW HONORARY Moderator The Gray Eminence :p

Windows version :
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : Plants vs Zombies, The Sims 3, Cities Skylines, The Sims 4

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by ☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠ Sat 27 Dec 2014, 19:13

Interesting question from Carlos, and I think storeguy doesn't get it Wink Why intel indeed? Overpriced and no better than AMD. I daresay AMD is at least as durable and does the job at least as good as a similar Intell CPU for half the price.
I've always been more than satisfied about AMD cpu's. The one my previous pc had purred along happily for 8 years without incident (=durable) and eventhough I was told it was too slow to run TS3, it allowed me to play the game with 6 EP's and only minor frustration (=performance).

I'm currently using a 3.7 ghz quad core AMD and it runs the game better than my sisters' similar intel-based pc.

But if you rather spend extra on a brand-name, you have my blessing of course Very Happy

You really don't need 32 GB Ram, that's completely over the top, even if you're looking for an awesome high-end gaming pc, unless you're going to do some light rendering on the side Laughing 

As for "possible", of course, everything is possible and as long as you have the money and the parts are compatible, you can have whatever you want. Though keep in mind in deed that more impressive hardware requires a more impressive powersupply and that powersupply will cost you more on a regular basis too, it's not just a one-time investment. Your pc will also reflect that on your electricity bill.

If your going to spend lots of money on a piece of hardware, your videocard is the first piece to consider going all-out on.
☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠
☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠
G4TW SUPER Adminatrix

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sim Architect Sat 27 Dec 2014, 19:27

Lady ElDi wrote:Interesting question from Carlos, and I think storeguy doesn't get it Wink Why intel indeed? Overpriced and no better than AMD. I daresay AMD is at least as durable and does the job at least as good as a similar Intell CPU for half the price.
I've always been more than satisfied about AMD cpu's. The one my previous pc had purred along happily for 8 years without incident (=durable) and eventhough I was told it was too slow to run TS3, it allowed me to play the game with 6 EP's and only minor frustration (=performance).

I'm currently using a 3.7 ghz quad core AMD and it runs the game better than my sisters' similar intel-based pc.

But if you rather spend extra on a brand-name, you have my blessing of course Very Happy

You really don't need 32 GB Ram, that's completely over the top, even if you're looking for an awesome high-end gaming pc, unless you're going to do some light rendering on the side Laughing 

As for "possible", of course, everything is possible and as long as you have the money and the parts are compatible, you can have whatever you want. Though keep in mind in deed that more impressive hardware requires a more impressive powersupply and that powersupply will cost you more on a regular basis too, it's not just a one-time investment. Your pc will also reflect that on your electricity bill.

If your going to spend lots of money on a piece of hardware, your videocard is the first piece to consider going all-out on.
Nice! I had always been scared from AMD, tried a couple of machines with them, many years ago, (wich I had to return defective) and never more. But maybe it was lack of luck, who knows...

I agree with you that video is very important for games, as processor and disk access... If you're just playing a good quad channel 16GB kit should be enough, even though I stand with my 32 (maybe a 24GB when I get another Acer laptop that already comes with 8GB that I won't throw away) for my personal use/taste (I know it's not necessary, but I use it when rendering video or a few other things).

I am really happy to hear you are happy to your new machine, Lady ElDi! I remember you got it not so long ago, it's nice to see things turning up well!
Sim Architect
Sim Architect
G4TW HONORARY Moderator

Windows version :
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by ☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠ Sat 27 Dec 2014, 19:52

Yesss I am very pleased with the pc! Finally playing a complete TS3 and I've been building and play testing a world ever since Very Happy
☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠
☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠
G4TW SUPER Adminatrix

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Sat 27 Dec 2014, 23:53

Lady ElDi wrote:Interesting question from Carlos, and I think storeguy doesn't get it Wink Why intel indeed? Overpriced and no better than AMD. I daresay AMD is at least as durable and does the job at least as good as a similar Intell CPU for half the price.

Also, given the OP's young age (according to his profile), he might find himself very soon busy with other stuff or losing interest.  Haters gonna hate

Nah, but seriously storeguy, what if you suddenly "don't have time or interest anymore" for gaming, for whatever reason ? Then you'll have a high-end machine at home, which you rarely use. Ever thought about that too ?

High-end machines are for people who are absolutely dedicated to PC gaming. And as for the power bill, if you have an alternative computer like me - a laptop - you can only power on the desktop for gaming, and if you need to do other stuff ("only" surfing the web, office applications, watching videos, listening to music, etc.) just use the weaker laptop. That should help a bit with the power bill and also increase the lifespan of your machines, compared to using only ONE computer "for everything" in your household. Very Happy  

It's an investment that should be evaluated very carefully.
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 28 Dec 2014, 19:32

im interest in playing games and want to make 3D models. but i just don't know what hardware i should buy. i find Intel better than AMD CPU.

Last edited by storeguy on Sun 28 Dec 2014, 21:53; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Reason of CPU)

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Sun 28 Dec 2014, 21:55

storeguy wrote:im interest in playing games and want to make 3D models. but i just don't know what hardware i should buy.

Honest opinion ? If you really have no idea about this stuff, it may be better to go for a strong pre-built desktop computer. We can give you rough guidelines maybe, about what "hardware" you can choose, but note that we usually cannot give you specific examples. 

I wrote one such example in this post, which is a fairly decent gaming kit for around $900:
https://games4theworld.forumotion.com/t17675-gaming-pc#124612

Note that the only real "weakness" in this configuration (in my opinion Very Happy ) is the hard-drive, but if you want to spend a bit more money, buy yourself instead of this hard-drive I mentioned there, an SSD drive with...let's say 256GB (Gigabyte) or so ? And you basically install Windows and all your software/games on that SSD drive. And in addition, buy yourself a big HDD drive for mass storage (music, videos, pictures, etc.). The HDD can be around 4TB (Terabyte) or so.

And if you want, buy more RAM modules too, so that you have more than the 8GBs I mentioned in this example.

This configuration is not "top end", but still far stronger than the average. I have no experience with 3D-modelling, but I guess that configuration should be strong enough for your habits.
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sim Architect Mon 29 Dec 2014, 07:19

Lady ElDi wrote:Yesss I am very pleased with the pc! Finally playing a complete TS3 and I've been building and play testing a world ever since Very Happy
So happy to hear that!!!

Carlos wrote:

Also, given the OP's young age (according to his profile), he might find himself very soon busy with other stuff or losing interest.  Haters gonna hate

Nah, but seriously storeguy, what if you suddenly "don't have time or interest anymore" for gaming, for whatever reason ? Then you'll have a high-end machine at home, which you rarely use. Ever thought about that too ?

High-end machines are for people who are absolutely dedicated to PC gaming. And as for the power bill, if you have an alternative computer like me - a laptop - you can only power on the desktop for gaming, and if you need to do other stuff ("only" surfing the web, office applications, watching videos, listening to music, etc.) just use the weaker laptop. That should help a bit with the power bill and also increase the lifespan of your machines, compared to using only ONE computer "for everything" in your household. Very Happy  

It's an investment that should be evaluated very carefully.
True! Your computer will only get older with time, so you don't want to spend more than you need if you might not use it.

storeguy wrote:im interest in playing games and want to make 3D models. but i just don't know what hardware i should buy. i find Intel better than AMD CPU.
Nice! Do you know wich software are you going to run on the new PC? Will you make money from it or are you studying design or anything related?

Do you intend to buy the components in your country or will you fly somewhere you can get it for less money? Do you already have a budget for the new machine (how many thousands of dollars do you plan to spend in it?)? Do you need to be able to take the computer with you to places (laptop) or would you prefer to have a desktop machine that stays at home?

Please let us know so we can help you a bit better... Wink
Sim Architect
Sim Architect
G4TW HONORARY Moderator

Windows version :
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Tue 30 Dec 2014, 06:14

storeguy wrote:i find Intel better than AMD CPU.

I know I can be very annoying, but I learned to challenge "assumptions" whenever possible. 

So I'll repeat my question: why exactly is Intel "better" than AMD ? In what terms exactly ? If anybody who thinks the same (not just storeguy) can give me substantial arguments, I'd like to hear them.  

Haters gonna hate  The Sims Plumbob 1
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by ☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠ Tue 30 Dec 2014, 07:55

Carlos wrote:

I know I can be very annoying, but I learned to challenge "assumptions" whenever possible. 

So I'll repeat my question: why exactly is Intel "better" than AMD ? In what terms exactly ? If anybody who thinks the same (not just storeguy) can give me substantial arguments, I'd like to hear them.  

What he said.
☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠
☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠
G4TW SUPER Adminatrix

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sim Architect Tue 30 Dec 2014, 08:56

Lady ElDi wrote:
Carlos wrote:

What he said.
I like Intel better because I feel safe. Like I said, I tried two AMD computers in two different moments and one only worked underclocked (1.7 GHz processor that would run only at 1.1 max or would just freeze) and the other was a HP computer with an AMD processor that would freeze all the time (both computers belonged to two different people, the first one returned in time, the other just donated the machine, since it was too annoying to use it)...

I know I may be wrong, I know AMD is cheaper but, since I can afford Intel, I stand by my choice (for now?), but I respect if you want to buy an AMD computer (or assemble one) and lives in a country where you can return items that don't work well without much hassle. I would probably try it and return it if I didn't like it after testing it thoroughly...

I don't know why, but you don't see many high performance large screen gaming laptops with "AMD Inside", would you know why? Computer parts are usually hard to return, they always want to charge you a "restocking fee", which makes it too risky to "try" (at least in Canada). Not sure if the processor + motherboard savings are worth enough (how much can you save? maybe a couple of dollars?), are they?

It's always nice to talk about the subject, though! I love computers!
Sim Architect
Sim Architect
G4TW HONORARY Moderator

Windows version :
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Tue 30 Dec 2014, 09:42

SvenT wrote:I don't know why, but you don't see many high performance large screen gaming laptops with "AMD Inside", would you know why?

Mainly because Intel has all kinds of contracts with other companies, to ensure that "only Intel is used". If you look at Mac computers, all of them run on Intel CPUs too - that's the same thing. Apple seems to have a contract with Intel in this respect.

Also, Intel spends a lot of money on stupid commercials and ads, which also adds to the explanation why the price difference between AMD vs. Intel is so big.

I mean, in the end, it's storeguy's (and other people's) choice what they buy. I myself will go for an AMD-based configuration, later on. I was thinking of going for this one here, or a similar CPU. Razz  Very Happy  

http://www.amazon.com/AMD-FX-9370-4-70-Processor-FD9370FHHKWOF/dp/B00EOSRXMW/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1419928833&sr=8-7&keywords=amd+octa+core
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sim Architect Tue 30 Dec 2014, 10:16

Carlos wrote:
SvenT wrote:I don't know why, but you don't see many high performance large screen gaming laptops with "AMD Inside", would you know why?

Mainly because Intel has all kinds of contracts with other companies, to ensure that "only Intel is used". If you look at Mac computers, all of them run on Intel CPUs too - that's the same thing. Apple seems to have a contract with Intel in this respect.

Also, Intel spends a lot of money on stupid commercials and ads, which also adds to the explanation why the price difference between AMD vs. Intel is so big.

I mean, in the end, it's storeguy's (and other people's) choice what they buy. I myself will go for an AMD-based configuration, later on. I was thinking of going for this one here, or a similar CPU. Razz  Very Happy  

http://www.amazon.com/AMD-FX-9370-4-70-Processor-FD9370FHHKWOF/dp/B00EOSRXMW/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1419928833&sr=8-7&keywords=amd+octa+core
The processor you picked looks great on paper and has a very affordable price. I wish there was a store where I could buy it, try it and return it if it didn't pass a few tests without paying a high restocking fee...
Sim Architect
Sim Architect
G4TW HONORARY Moderator

Windows version :
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by ☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠ Tue 30 Dec 2014, 14:04

A similar Intel CPU costs about twice as much on my end. So it's well worth it as far as I'm concerned, to try AMD. 
For me, it has never been an issue. When I first opted for a custom built pc, I totally picked AMD because it was cheaper, but I've never been let down. Over the years, I've gained experience with at least 6 AMD CPU's and they all performed fine. I doubt there would be much of a difference, if any at all. 
Now I know it's a reliable choice, I never worry.
☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠
☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠
G4TW SUPER Adminatrix

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sim Architect Tue 30 Dec 2014, 16:52

Lady ElDi wrote:A similar Intel CPU costs about twice as much on my end. So it's well worth it as far as I'm concerned, to try AMD. 
For me, it has never been an issue. When I first opted for a custom built pc, I totally picked AMD because it was cheaper, but I've never been let down. Over the years, I've gained experience with at least 6 AMD CPU's and they all performed fine. I doubt there would be much of a difference, if any at all. 
Now I know it's a reliable choice, I never worry.
If you say that, I believe you! I will seriously consider an AMD whenever I put together a future custom PC and I will let you all know about it! I really liked the processor that Carlos picked above, it seems to be a real great performer (8 cores at a nice clock, instead of 4) that costs less than my i7!

If people are having good performance from AMD video cards, the processors should be better now as well. I am happy to hear you had a good experience with many AMDs.
Sim Architect
Sim Architect
G4TW HONORARY Moderator

Windows version :
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 30 Dec 2014, 21:13

Carlos wrote:

AMD CPUs best for performance and prices,  and will exceed Intel CPU at the same price point. However i have a large budget, Intel is the way to go for me, i can afford to buy an Intel CPU to see a performance increase over the same tier AMD CPU. This is excellent for a Ultra High-End PCs which i need for extra performance. The Sims 3 plumbob The Sims Plumbob 1 The Sims Plumbob 1 The Sims 3 plumbob

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Wed 31 Dec 2014, 00:53

storeguy wrote: AMD CPUs best for performance and prices,  and will exceed Intel CPU at the same price point. However i have a large budget, Intel is the way to go for me, i can afford to buy an Intel CPU to see a performance increase over the same tier AMD CPU. This is excellent for a Ultra High-End PCs which i need for extra performance. The Sims 3 plumbob The Sims Plumbob 1 The Sims Plumbob 1 The Sims 3 plumbob

Interesting argument. But OK, in the end, it's your choice (and money) of course. Hope you won't get disappointed !

The Sims Plumbob 1
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 01 Jan 2015, 10:41

need a futuristic Computer Case for touch so here Oh my...

Creating Ultra High End PCs Double10
or
Creating Ultra High End PCs Cebit_10 Creating Ultra High End PCs Pc-tow10

the screen would be a Laser projection
from Sony 4K Ultra Short Throw Projector

Creating Ultra High End PCs Sony-u10

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top